Sign in to follow this  
Helmut_AUT

Cannibalizing the SF2I F-16 and Mirage III for SF2E?

As an offspring from this thread: http://combatace.com/topic/56657-sf2-tomcat-speculation/page__st__80

...I argued that I'm not interested in the other SF2 theatres, but I'd be happy to pay TK some additional coin for the SF2I package if the F-16A and MirageIIIC can be used in SF2E campaigns.

Obviously for the F-16A there's some nice skins around by MigBuster:

http://combatace.com/files/file/10778-pack-4-hi-res-f-16a-usaf/

http://combatace.com/files/file/10777-pack-3-hi-res-f-16a-royal-netherlands-rnlaf/

My skills should be adequate for dropping the aircraft model in the objects folder and simple kicking out an USAF unit of the campaigne2_data.ini to replace with an F-16 unit.

But I'm not sure I can manage to add a new nation (Netherlands) in the 1979 campaign. Is that hard to do?

For the MirageIIICJ, I didn't find any original french skins. There must be some in SF2E already, as there's an AI MirageIII included?

Anyone ever tried this? I'm certainly not the first one to add the Stock F-16A to the SF2E arena...?

Appreciate all help

Helmut

I have done it and already converted it. Piece of cake. PM with details and I will have you up and running in no time.

Are those two bulges on the nose seperate parts?! HAve to look into the LOD maybe we can delete them, I think the normal "A" didn`t have them and only the israely version had them, am I right?

The files are everywhere so you have to do a lot of hunting for them.

Ah that's what I was afraid of. I'll give it a go on my own and check in back if I'm having trouble.

To create a USAF/NATO version, is a simple edit of the userlist and data ini. You don't even need to the lods, as the 'new main ini' will point back to the relevant ObjectData***.cat.

Here's my ini for a usaf F-16A, using museli' skins:

[AircraftData]

AircraftFullName=F-16A Falcon

AircraftShortName=F-16A

AircraftDataFile=F-16A_data.ini

LoadoutFile=F-16A_loadout.ini

UserList=F-16A_UserList.ini

CockpitDataFile=F-16A_Netz_cockpit.ini

LoadoutImage=F-16A_Netz_loadout.TGA

HangarScreen=

LoadingScreen=

AvionicsDLL=Avionics70.dll

AvionicsDataFilename=F-16A_Netz_avionics.ini

[LOD001]

Filename=F-16A_Netz.LOD

Distance=100

[LOD002]

Filename=F-16A_Netz_LOD2.LOD

Distance=250

[LOD003]

Filename=F-16A_Netz_LOD3.LOD

Distance=500

[LOD004]

Filename=F-16A_Netz_LOD4.LOD

Distance=1000

[LOD005]

Filename=F-16A_Netz_LOD5.LOD

Distance=10000

[DamageTexture]

DamagedPostFix=_holes.DDS

[shadow]

CastShadow=TRUE

ShadowCastDist=10000

MaxVisibleDistance=800

[TextureSet001]

Directory=USAFGrey1

Name=USAF Grey 1

Nation=USAF

Specular=0.400000

Glossiness=0.400000

Reflection=0.000000

[TextureSet002]

Directory=USAFGrey2

Name=USAF Grey 2

Nation=USAF

Specular=0.400000

Glossiness=0.400000

Reflection=0.000000

literlally, it's only a 5 minute job (minus downlading the skin sets) Adding other nations is snap via the users list

Mind you, this only works with a full-4 merged set (since the netz lods are in SF2I)

EDIT: the nezt inis are in objectdata012.cat from SF2I

EDITx2: Thre's stock french skins for the MirIII is sf2e

wrench

kevin stein

Edited by Wrench

I didn´t try with 3D, but i use the Shahak and Netz cockpit in all MirageIII and F-16 models. SInce their original cockpits may be not adequate to the second generation, the SF2I ones fit despite the differences between different batchs of aircraft.

Now I maybe ask a dumb question, but why don't you just merge your install? I know you don't a interest in Mid east conflict. But if you merge you got all the aircrafts without having to play the Campaigns.

Lack of HD space. Like I wrote in the other thread, my entire system and all games reside on a 128GB Solid State Disk, which is 5 times as fast as mechanical drives, but 128GB will set you back 400USD or thereabout.

Besides, it bothers the techie in me to keep a lot of files laying around that never get used. It's the antithesis of a clean, fast system.

with the limited nations statements in the terrains, and the userlists for vehciles (mostly) and aircraft, merged is THE way go. Those 2 items prevent 'unwanted visitors' in whichever theatre you're flying in

OTH, I totally agree with a 'non-messy' install. Which is why I like the 'folderized' way SF2 does things.

now...if we could just get all the WW2 birds (and terrains!) working properly...<sigh> I'd ditch 1st Gens completly, except for stealing bits from them :grin:

wrench

kevin stein

anyone got a pointer?

I have all the F-16A files now in mod dir/objects/F-16A. That includes the hangar and loading screen. When I load a quick mission, I have a black background at the briefing screen, and my mouse cursor is stuck top left corner. So, the briefing screen doesn't work correctly... do I need to put some files outside of /objects? I never added an entire aircraft, so I'm not clear on the folder structure.

Check your main ini file is called F-16A.ini

19 files should be in \F-16A\ and the skin folders and the folder \F-16A\Cockpit - all the cockpit files go in there (91 files to go in cockpit)

You may need to copy F-16A_netz_afterburner.tga into each skin folder

anyone got a pointer?

I have all the F-16A files now in mod dir/objects/F-16A. That includes the hangar and loading screen. When I load a quick mission, I have a black background at the briefing screen, and my mouse cursor is stuck top left corner. So, the briefing screen doesn't work correctly... do I need to put some files outside of /objects? I never added an entire aircraft, so I'm not clear on the folder structure.

Delete those 2 files, we can make some for that later. Everything else is set up so its a drag and drop affair.

Okay, I deleted the Hangar screen, and the flight loaded into 3d. But then I have a white cockpit, wrong head position (hud is not in center of pit) and an aircraft sunk into the tarmac, only the wingtips visible...

Something's a lot more complicated than I thought it would. Also, in the files Dave helped me with, I have less than MigBuster counts.

I'd say lets leave it for now, I have some other urgent work to finish, maybe a project for another day.

I know this works as here is whats in there and the end result.

Hhmm, the only files missing in my folder are the DDS files. Attached is a screen of my folder.

post-51386-018695700 1277240867.gif

Edited by Helmut_AUT

And here's the ingame result:

Obviously the ingame viewpoint is wrong, the plane is "sunken into the tarmac" doesn't fire up the engines, no sound... Dave, are you sure there aren't more related files in your install that I haven't extracted or gotten from you?

screens.zip

Edited by Helmut_AUT

I will scrub my files again.....

got some seriously missing files, there my friend. You have the netz cockit lod in the /cockpit folder??

and, it looks like you've got a mix-match of lods ... as the stock ones are called ***Netz.lod. There's no need to rename them, as that'll foul up things.

If I were you, I'd start fresh; dump everything. Re-extract, don't rename, just move things. Gonna be several hundred files. If you haven't done this before, you might want to start with something easier and simpler.

Wasn't there a tutorial in the 1stGen KB about a similiar subject? (iirc, it related to importing the F-104G into WoV?)

wrench

kevin stein

No offense Kevin but now you are telling wrong information. Renaming them does not foul them up. And if you look at my screenshot I HAVE IT WORKING!!!!!! :blink::rofl: I have had it working since WOI. Then with SF2I I did the same thing and it works. The Netz is a Blk 10 so Crusader and I made the USAF Blk 10 out of it.I think his problem is his failure to patch past Jun 2009.

that could very well be it...along with unmerged installs.

when I made mine, just extracted and editatated the inis, left everything alone. You can call it whatever you want in AircaraftDisplayedName section; it's all cool baby!!

So, like, when you releasiing the ini/skin pack??? Inquiring minds are waiting (got lots of HD space to fill... :grin: )

wrench

kevin stein

So, like, when you releasiing the ini/skin pack??? Inquiring minds are waiting (got lots of HD space to fill... :grin: )

I hadnt really thought about releasing it. Its been an ongoing project between Crusader and I. We have been treaking avionics, loadouts for the time frame etc. Beside if I start working on this I will have to halt working on the F-14 and the NF4+ upgrade.......:yikes:

There's always after the Turkey's release.....of course.

Me, I'll be busy in Korea

wrench

kevin stein