Sign in to follow this  
Hellshade

New Nvidia Drivers

Nvidia released their new 257.21 drivers. I uninstalled the older 197.45, ran driversweeper and installed the new ones (for Windows 7, 64 bit). So far I like them very much. In a few test videos I did with clear skies in a 5 v 1 QC I noticed my frame rates stayed at 60 better while recording. The drivers claim to boost frame rates 5% to 40% on a number of different games, though obviously CFS3 wasn't mentioned. I have only had about an hour to mess around with them but so far I am impressed. I'll let you know more as I run some campaigns and try different settings.

Hellshade

Just got these too...looking good so far

Yuppers, I too discovered they gave a noticeable improvement to my set-up. And I use Driver Sweeper as well, along with CCleaner. My routine for installing new drivers, (for those who may be interested), is to first run Driver Sweeper to remove the old video drivers, then reboot in safe mode, then run Driver Sweeper again, and then CCleaner to get rid of all the last, nagging little driver files and folders as well as the old registry entries. After that I reboot normally, run both Driver Sweeper and CCleaner one more time each, and then install the new video drivers, (I've found I'll sometimes catch a file and/or entry or two left behind on that last run of DS and CC: those old video drivers are stubborn buggars).

Cheers!

Lou

Straight from nvidia's website:

Q: Do I need to uninstall my older driver first?

A: No. It used to be the case that an uninstall was first required. Today the recommended method is to overinstall the newer driver on top of your older driver. This will allow you to maintain any current NVIDIA Control Panel settings or profiles.

Works for me. I haven't used driversweeper in my last two updates. Win 7 users are reporting problems with new drivers. Reade here before you upgrade if your Win 7: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=38816

I'm running Win 7 64 bit edition and having no troubles at all. Maybe he has a P/S issue?

Hellshade

That's good news Winston...using Driversweeper etc is a right pain in the ass

Winston, I'm glad you've had success with that method. I however did not when I tried it about three driver versions ago. The overwrite left lots of bits and pieces behind and I did not get the full advantage from the new drivers until I had gone back and done the uninstall/reinstall method I described earlier. But I'm a big fan of whatever works for the individual, and as we are all quite aware, no two systems are the same.

Cheers!

Lou

Windoze 7 new driver problems are with the light reflections and specular reflections not working anymore. Seems to be a Windows 7 issue and not a Nvidia one. Not much of a problem because OFF does not take advantage of these. Now if you're flying ETO, PTO, or MAW, you'll then see the lack of "shine" and "reflection" on the aircraft skins. It's a Win 7 issue only as those with XP don't have this issue with the new XP drivers.

I'm still using 197.xx in XP. If it ain't broke.... don't fix it! I only upgrade Nvidia video drivers every 6 months or so. The last several updates haven't yielded any visible improvements or framerate increases for me.

Windoze 7 new driver problems are with the light reflections and specular reflections not working anymore. Seems to be a Windows 7 issue and not a Nvidia one. Not much of a problem because OFF does not take advantage of these. Now if you're flying ETO, PTO, or MAW, you'll then see the lack of "shine" and "reflection" on the aircraft skins. It's a Win 7 issue only as those with XP don't have this issue with the new XP drivers.

I'm still using 197.xx in XP. If it ain't broke.... don't fix it! I only upgrade Nvidia video drivers every 6 months or so. The last several updates haven't yielded any visible improvements or framerate increases for me.

Mirrors now don't 'work' and cockpit glass is non reflective in OFF as a result of this.

WM

Winder,

Is this one of ur clues for P4?

Mmmmmmm..... cant wait.

m

Winder,

Is this one of ur clues for P4?

Mmmmmmm..... cant wait.

m

Alas no - no P4 leaks - if you have an Nvidia card the mirror reflections and cockpit glass reflections work in P3 - well they did until the above mentioned 'issue'....

The mirror and glass reflections however have never worked with ATI cards....

HTH

WM

Alas no - no P4 leaks - if you have an Nvidia card the mirror reflections and cockpit glass reflections work in P3 - well they did until the above mentioned 'issue'....

The mirror and glass reflections however have never worked with ATI cards....

HTH

WM

Nice try though Morris :grin:

Winder, are you saying that mirror and glass reflections no longer work in P4 nvidia card systems with Windows XP? Or as we still talking about a Win 7 exclusive problem here?

TIA

Edited by Winston DoRight

Winder, are you saying that mirror and glass reflections no longer work in P4 nvidia card systems with Windows XP? Or as we still talking about a Win 7 exclusive problem here?

TIA

I have no idea all I know is that with the latest Nvidia drivers and Win7 I no longer have functional reflections - P3 P4 MAW CFS3 - I thought you already knew this given your post?

But the point of my post is that OFF indeed does take advantage of reflections and on my WIn7 system they are AWOL.

WM

I have full reflections and shine in P3, MAW, ETO, PTO, etc. I'm thinking these new drivers only malfunction in Win 7, but I'm keeping my XP 197.xx drivers just in case. I expect nvidia will be working on the Win 7 issues.

I have full reflections and shine in P3, MAW, ETO, PTO, etc. I'm thinking these new drivers only malfunction in Win 7, but I'm keeping my XP 197.xx drivers just in case. I expect nvidia will be working on the Win 7 issues.

I hope so - we are using WIn7 as the dev platform for P4 of course and I noted immediately that the reflections were AWOL!

WM

Guest British_eh

:grin:Hmmmm, sounds like my switch to Win 7 will wait a bit. Hopefully P4 is still a ways OFF, and stuff can be sorted out. I'm hoping for a nice Christmas present:grin:

Cheers,

British_eh

:grin:Hmmmm, sounds like my switch to Win 7 will wait a bit. Hopefully P4 is still a ways OFF, and stuff can be sorted out. I'm hoping for a nice Christmas present:grin:

Cheers,

British_eh

and you shall have one sir. Just perhaps not this Christmas. Though I must confess it sounds like the Devs are working on P4 with near singular focus. Given the additional content and amazing improvements that I can only imagine it will have, I'm calling the new version "Over Flanders Fields: Hellshade Gets a Divorce". That's just a working title though. :blink:

Hellshade

OK. I continue to suffer from confusement and trouble making a decision.

I am in the process of purchasing a new computer so I can then buy OFF and start getting shot down. I have read the spec required to play and thought it best to exceed them. Now I don't know what kind of video card to get with the system. In addition it seems most computers out there (Dell, Gateway) have dou and quad processors. Then while lurking around here I find mention the multi processor may cause problems. The systems I have been looking at mostly have Win 7........ What to do.........what to do.........I know once I get this sorted out my wife also will me a computer game widow.