Sign in to follow this  
FastCargo

The Official "Not the IPhone" Thread

The thread for those who don't have or want an IPhone.

If you're an Apple fan, keep your comments to yourself...if you don't want us in your thread, seems fair you can't be in ours.

Now, for those in this thread, this is for talking about the company, or their devices and why we don't use them...as well as alternative devices and why we do like them. This thread is NOT for bashing those who use Apple devices or who are Apple fans...your post won't be here long if you even try to play that game.

So, I'll start. This article is interesting...

http://www.cracked.com/article_18377_5-reasons-you-should-be-scared-apple.html

Check out the last part of the article:

In October of 2009, a new application from Apple landed in the U.S. Patent Office. Apple's idea was to program devices to periodically interrupt users with unskippable ads. The ads would temporarily halt performance of the device in order to "compel attention." That on its own is pretty nightmarish but, innovators that they are, Apple found a way to crank it up to that hard-to-reach "Lovecraftian" level.

Their words:

"Apple can further determine whether a user pays attention to the advertisement. The determination can include performing, while the advertisement is presented, an operation that urges the user to respond; and detecting whether the user responds to the performed operation. If the response is inappropriate or nonexistent, the system will go into lock down mode in some form or other until the user complies. In the case of an iPod, the sound could be disconnected rendering it useless until compliance is met. For the iPhone, no calls will be able to be made or received."

Ho-lee s**t.

And this isn't just some crazy, pie-in-the-sky idea some engineer at Apple had and decided to get patented. Steve f***ing Jobs had his name attached to the application. Is this where the man who holds the reins to the entire Apple Corporation sees his product line going? A future where cheap, malware and prime-time TV-ad-riddled devices flood the market?

Think about that. Can't use your IPhone until you've watched an ad...nice, right?

FC

I saw that too FC. Its disturbing to say the least. I jailbroke my Iphone4 the day I got, just so that cant happen. I understand the need to make money but where is the limit? Think about it, you have to call 911, and you have to wait for an ad? No way....:blink:

god dammit they want to controll people's behavior....what a bunch of a-holes....

Hackers FTW :minigun:

1277486771560-dumpfm-neue-iphonedeal.gif

Edited by Silverbolt

Another reason not to buy an IPHONE... Me I havn't liked them since they came out but saying that I don't like most apple products... as they are style over function in my opinion and I have been testing one for 6 months...

Im more of a blackberry fan myself. The Iphone series have never appealed to me. My BB does everything I need it to and as quickly as id like it done. Why change if it aint broke?

As a side note however I was working earleier when a customer comes in the same time that england are playing germany in the world cup and is watching the game on his iphone. Pretty neat i thought...

Mike

My biggest beef with most Apple products is the very thing that makes IPhone a favorite...it does work and work well.

As long as you stay within the restrictions of the Apple EULA.

Like usafmtl mentioned, you have to 'jailbreak' your IPhone to be able to have the freedoms that most other cell phone owners enjoy right out of the box. But this is what you can risk:

From here: http://www.appleiphonereview.com/iphone-tutorials/iphone-jailbreak/

1. The folks at Apple know what they are doing. They have not enabled multasking — the ability for apps to run in the background, simultaneously — most likely because it is a huge battery drain. By controlling the user experience, Apple ensures that your iPhone “just works,” and you don’t have to worry about managing battery life or any other technical details.

2. Jailbreak could (maybe?) brick your iPhone. “When someone develops something for an Apple product and that development isn’t sanctioned by Apple, you run the risk of it not working as it should, conflicting with the device itself, or just all-around bricking that iPhone,” warns Chris Pirillo, who prefers not to Jailbreak his iPhone because “my iPhone just works already.” But I have never heard of Jailbreak completely ruining an iPhone. The consensus at this forum seems to be that the chance is “extremely slim.”

3. Every iPhone update from iTunes disables Jailbreak. Every time Apple comes out with an update for iPhone, they find a way to prevent hackers from cracking the code again. Hackers then scramble to Jailbreak the iPhone again and release the new methods. That means if you like to download Apple’s iPhone updates, you are going to have to figure out each time how to Jailbreak your iPhone yes again. Do you really want to play this cat and mouse game?

4. Jailbreak might increase your risk of getting a virus on your iPhone. The only two iPhone viruses ever reported have spread across iPhones that have been Jailbroken. That’s not to say the iPhone platform as Apple built it is totally secure. In fact, some say compromising an iPhone’s security is “child’s play” (i.e. easy).

5. Jailbreak voids your iPhone warranty. If your iPhone is bricked because of Jailbreak, or if your iPhone has another problem and it happens to be Jailbreaked, your warranty becomes void. I once saw a sign at the Genius bar of The Falls, Miami Apple Store that warned customers not to Jailbreak iPhones or they would void their warranties. Harsh.

A cage that is gold lined is still a cage.

FC

Interesting point FC. Im not an expert on apple products but I did have an ipod touch once. After using it for a few months a friend showed me how to jailbreak it. It opened a whole new world for me. (snes emulator was definately my favourite)

However it began playing up after about 6 months and eventually stopped working. I had to restore it back to its original firmware, losing all apps and various things I had downloaded. I sold it to my brother just before xmas last year as I no longer had any use for it.

What is your favourite phone to use FC? Do you use a smartphone or just a usual mobile?

Mike

I currently use the G1 from T-Mobile. It was nice right out of the box, but it breaks down rather quickly. I think I'm on my 3rd one issued from warranty/insurance. I might think about getting the HTC Mytouch. Since a lot of the apps for the IPhone are now becoming available for Droids and other spin-off products, there is no reason to really go out and buy a $400 - $500.00 phone when you can get something very similar, if not somewhat better (in it's own way) for a hundred less, if not half off. I like the idea of having a touch screen keyboard, but it's also refreshing to know that I can slide the screen out and use a regular keyboard. You can't do that with an IPhone.

I've been a Palm user since 2001. My wife and I use them, and when it made sense, we converged our phone and PDAs into the Treo/Centro. For a while, a 'smartphone' was synonymous with a Treo...business and personal. For me as an airline and military pilot, it could do everything and allowed me to carry one less item on my person. Using Yahoo calendar, it allowed us to see each other's schedules, sync with Quicken at home so I wasn't bogged down with receipt entries when I came home from a trip, texting on a real keyboard, etc. Palm darn near dominated the market for both enterprise and personal use.

Then Apple came along and changed the game. Nothing wrong with that of course, that's what makes life interesting.

Palm could have recovered, but some of their decisions when they decided to intro a next gen phone were bad...selecting Sprint as the launch carrier, dodgy hardware issues, crappy marketing. The Palm Pre could do things over a year ago that the IPhone still can only just now do, including true multitasking (not just quick app, task completion, etc), and the big one, Synergy, which can take multiple contacts from several sources (including Google, Yahoo, Hotmail, Facebook, etc) and fuse them into one list, no duplicates or redundant entries. Does the same with emails, calendars, etc. It will do all the work for you in terms of fusing everything together. Plus the phone can recharge using a magnetic induction puck (Touchstone)...all built in to the phone, not adding some kludge device to do it...no plugin, nothing like that. Just set it down and it starts charging. Even little things like being able to shut the phone completely down, have a removable battery, and a hardware switch to silence the phone.

All of this on an open, non-slaved platform. If you come out with an app that can do the job better than the app that comes from Palm, Palm isn't going to shut it down, unlike Apple.

The WebOS is still considered a superior OS, the problem is that it's saddled with only okay hardware. You pair up WebOS with something like the HTC Incredible, and things would get interesting.

FC

I've been a Palm user since 2001. My wife and I use them.........

Um....yeah......TMI, TMI...Sorry H-Man couldn't resist....... :lol::rofl::heat:

I am chuffed, using Android!!!!:good:

I once saw a sign at the Genius bar of The Falls, Miami Apple Store that warned customers not to Jailbreak iPhones or they would void their warranties.

LOL! I know The Falls! I was just talking to someone who still lives in Miami the other day asking if that mall was still around. I bought F-19 at the EB there (which is long gone) in 1989 for $70!

I would rather have sex with a midget tranny hooker than own an i-anything.

Don't mince words Rugg...tell us how you really feel!

FC

Frankly, I don't need one. I don't need to pay an extra $30+/month for the service either. I have an LG Vu which I got for like $50 and it does what I need it to...send and receive calls, when I do that. I use less than an hour per month.

I thought this was a non bashing thread.....guess some people cant read.

This thread is NOT for bashing those who use Apple devices or who are Apple fans...your post won't be here long if you even try to play that game.