Sign in to follow this  
Viggen

Waypoint problems with Afghanistan terrain

I finally got around to installing the Afghanistan terrain. Went to go fly a SEAD mission and once I reached waypoint two hit the autopilot by mistake. I noticed that suddenly the aircraft turned back towards Jalalabad Air Base. The map showed all the waypoints, as though I never took off. It's happened several times now.

Here's a picture of the map.

post-26481-073210000 1277660999.jpg

Also, when I started the mission I was in the middle of the runway and my wingman's plane was inside of mine. Happens only on this terrain.

And is there a way to prevent the AI flights from smashing into the side of the mountain? Can't tell you how many Tornados I've watched smash into the mountainside.

Edited by Viggen

Do you use Afghanistan terrain in WOI or in an other game?

At the first view i would say, you miss an airfield file, which defines where the planes should take off, the taxi positions etc. The name of the file is soviet_airbase1.ini. It is a stock file in WOE and WOI.

[quote name='Viggen' date='27 June 2010 - 10:50:09 AM' timestamp='1277661009' post='423217'

Also, when I started the mission I was in the middle of the runway and my wingman's plane was inside of mine. Happens only on this terrain.

I have the exact same thing happens to me but only when I use "mountain thaw" scenery, every mission starts with my plane sitting at an odd angle on the runway and all the planes in the flight are super-imposed inside of my plane.......if you just release the brakes and move forward everything gets back to normal, but it is sure weird.......Hopefully someone knows how to fix it, cause it's my favourite scenery and it is rather annoying

Edited by romflyer

Again. The position of the plane at the runway is defined in the _airfield.ini file. If you has not the correct file on your game you will find your plane at the position and situation you descriped. Afghanistan terrain is written for Wings over Israel. So it use stock files of this game.

A simple solution of the problem would be that you open the _targets.ini of a terrain where you has no problems and look which _airfield.ini is used there. Then use this file for afghanistan_targets.ini

[TargetArea002]

Name=Jalalabad Airbase

Position=876000.0,679000.0

Radius=7071.067871

ActiveYear=0

Location=1

Alignment=friendly

AirfieldDataFile=soviet_airbase1.ini <<<<< This is the mentioned file try to change into desert_airbase1.ini

NumSquadrons=4

Edited by Gepard

Gepard, I'm using the terrain in WOI. I'll change the airfield type and report back

Again. The position of the plane at the runway is defined in the _airfield.ini file. If you has not the correct file on your game you will find your plane at the position and situation you descriped. Afghanistan terrain is written for Wings over Israel. So it use stock files of this game.

A simple solution of the problem would be that you open the _targets.ini of a terrain where you has no problems and look which _airfield.ini is used there. Then use this file for afghanistan_targets.ini

[TargetArea002]

Name=Jalalabad Airbase

Position=876000.0,679000.0

Radius=7071.067871

ActiveYear=0

Location=1

Alignment=friendly

AirfieldDataFile=soviet_airbase1.ini <<<<< This is the mentioned file try to change into desert_airbase1.ini

NumSquadrons=4

Like I mentioned, I am having the same issue with my Mountain thaw terrain......here is a picture of the target ini from both Mountain thaw and ANW of the same airfield, however the problem only exists in Mountain thaw....any thoughts?

Do you have the terrain lined up with the correct terrain .cat?

Edited by Viggen

[Terrain]

TerrainFullName=Afghanistan

DataFile=Afghanistan_data.INI

TargetFile=Afghanistan_targets.INI

TargetTypeFile=Afghanistan_types.INI

MovementFile=Afghanistan_movement.INI

NationsFile=Afghanistan_nations.INI

BriefingText=Afghanistan_briefing.INI

DogfightFile=Afghanistan_dogfight.INI

DogfightOnly=FALSE

EnvironmentFile=Afghanistan_Environmentsystem.ini

CatFile=..\IsraelME\IsraelME.cat <<<<This is the file Viggen mentioned.

The cat file depends on the basic game you use.

This is the line for SFP1:

CatFile=..\Desert\Desert.cat

So it must be if you use WOE as basic game:

CatFile=..\GermanyCE\GermanyCE.cat

And so for WOV:

CatFile=..\VietnamSEA\VietnamSEA.cat

Edited by Gepard

Both terrain sets are within WOE so they are using the Germany cat (which is their default) and both terrains work well, other than this odd thing at startup.

Strange thing. I tested it yesterday with WOE again and all went well. At Jalalabad i had no problems.

It seems to be, that something is corrupted in your terrain installation. Perhaps a reinstall would solve the problem.