Sign in to follow this  
NorcalBob

New Vista 64 Problem

I've been running BHAH for six months on my Windows Vista 64 computer with no issues. I just got back from an extended business trip (one month) and all of a sudden BHAH doesn't work, getting a Fatal Error message with BHAH not being to install initialization files. I've deleted and re-installed CFS3 and BHAH, installed all of the patches, set up to run in XP mode as Administrator, and nothing works. I suspect an automatic update of Vista 64 installed while I was away is the culprit, creating a conflict, however, I've rolled back my system to several restore points with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I run BHAH on Vista 64 with no problems. I always patch it to latest MS updates. Only advice I could give is when reinstalling CFS3 & BHAH remember to do a search & delete everything before reinstalling. Also I DON'T have mine set to anything in compatability. I have mine installed in its own folder (OBDSoftware) on drive C. I think you need to avoid putting it in the Program file. I'm not real computer savy but hope this helps.

Remove using Add/Remove Programs via Control Panel, not via the start menu shortcut. Clean out all races in the hidden User folders.

See FAQ there's a section on what to install and the order etc. Make sure you are an admin user too.

Remove using Add/Remove Programs via Control Panel, not via the start menu shortcut. Clean out all races in the hidden User folders.

See FAQ there's a section on what to install and the order etc. Make sure you are an admin user too.

Have done all this and BHAH still does not work. Getting same error message as before.

Hi NorcalBob,

I wish I had a definitive answer for you, it's a sick feeling when things like this happen, and I think I had the same issue with a Vista update and OFF P2 a week ago. I can't be sure, you know how hard it can be to pin point things, and I eneded up re-installing everything with success, but Vista wanted me to update my Microsoft .NET framework to version 4.0 and something inside me told me not too, but I didn't listen. Was that the cause, I have no idea, but I unistalled that before re-installing CFS3 and OFF P2.

Also, if you haven't already, be sure to set your Windows updates to manual, or this might bite you in the ass again.

Hope you get it sorted out, be interesting to find out what the cause actually is.

Cheers !

Tell me more Jackstraw as I am having the same initialization issue w/ OFF (and other games that require disk in the drive). And Windows 7 just updated before this began happening.

How did you uninstall?

And do you need .NET framework for anything?

Edited by Barkhorn1x

I use Vista HE 32 bit here, and I do not use BH&H yet, waiting for delivery, but I installed CFS3 last week, then installed Phase 2, ran the config in XP compatibility and the world was proper place for flying. Then I got asked to run a Vista update, and noticed it had the .NET 4.0 included, and I've had issues with other software regarding that stuff so I was hesitant to update, but then thought, how can it be important to my new OFF love ? Ran the update, then things started going downhill. Don't be sure that I know what I'm talking about, the .NET 4.0 might not have had anything to do with it at all ! I was playing around with the Multiplayer things too, and might have fargled something up myself !

After trying to get things going, and realizing it was useless, too many strings to tie, I just deleted my OFF folder. Here's where it really get's funky...

When I installed OFF phase 2, I deleted the download like a moron, and remember cursing when I did it lol ! So I had to re-download it again. Finally got it back, and ran the exe's, and for some completely wacked reason, OFF had an error and would not install, but to my complete horror, when I hit ok, un-install, it deleted not only most of the download and exe's from my disk completely, it deleted my CFS3 as well !!

I almost cried lol ! ...couldn't believe that it did that.

Downloaded it again, made sure everything was gone, re-installed CFS3 and now it's fine. There was no real procedure to unistalling OFF, just deleted the folder. But like I said, this is Phase 2, and certaintly not setup like BH&H. I wish I knew more about that stuff to help you out Barkhorn.

After all is said and done, I've put Phase 2 on a usb stick :grin:

Goodluck figuring it out, you'll get it...

Oh, I missed that P2 reference. Looks like it could be apples and oranges then. Oh well, gonna try a few things.

Update.

Deleted .Net 4.0 – OFF worked fine. :)

Then d/l’d the full .Net 4.0 package from the M$ site and installed – OFF worked fine. :)

So…must have been a corrupted install from the Windows auto update procedure.

Something still smells rotten in Denmark, and it ain't the Leidercrantz cheese. . . In XP whenever faced with an unexplainable problem, the proceedure follows

After uninstalling you search for all files or folders that contain 'Over Flanders Fields' . . Delete Same

You then conduct a SEPERATE search of your Hidden Folders, one possibly two will show up

Fail to nail those puppies, you're just wasting your time. As the problem will return over, and over

Might than solution still hold water ?

Have done all this and still no BHAH. It looks like a conflict with the OFF Manager file. I'm stumped and still can't shoot anybody down!

Barkhorn1x > Update.

Then d/l’d the full .Net 4.0 package from the M$ site and installed – OFF worked fine. :)

----------------------

Hey !! That's awesome Barkhorn ! Guess that puts the lid on what happened to mine as well ! Glad you got it goin brutha ! Cheers !!

Thanks for the tip Jackstraw, but unfortunately it did not solve my BHAH issue. Deleted Microsoft .Net Framework V4 and reinstalled direct from MS website, and still no BHAH. Still trying to get a solution in place. Thanks.