Sign in to follow this  

I always uploaded stuff as zip. For myself I've been using 7zip for a few years after I saw it used at column5's Cold War downloads site. So I just updated something using 7zip.

7zip ~> http://www.7zip.com/

I prefer WinRAR, but use also WinZip and 7zip.

I have been using for awhile, but not the associate file format, 7z...but judging by some file available here it's quite capable.

I still mostly use .zip, sometimes .rar if file size matters more. Using winrar for both these formats.

.7z seems to be comparable to .rar, only more modern. Obviously 7z/rar have better compression ratios, but the old zip format is very responsive/fast if one just want to browse the contents of an archive or extract just a few files from it.

File Compression ratio tests

7z is extreme in compressing TGA's try 7z your entire decal folder and what happens. Only use 7z myself :good:

The other cool this about 7zip is a that it can open ISO CD images. I get a number of software products at work in this format and rather than jumping through hoops to burn a CD just to get the contents I can just open with 7zip and extract the CD contents right to my hard drive. Works slick.

Doc that's interesting to know about the CD image.

Thanks for the input fellas/fellattes. The first I ever heard about 7zip was at C5's place, where everything seemed to be some strange 7-zipped. I thought *oh no* but the downloads required it (and thanks!!!) -- and once I used the 7zip, I have never gone back to Winzip/rar.

I got turned onto 7-Zip here sometime after the ODS mod came out and i've been a devout user of it since. Really handy tool for opening certain downloads.

I used to keep WinZip and WinRAR so I could uncompress any download. Now I just use 7zip and it can handle anything. Been using it for years.

7z is extreme in compressing TGA's try 7z your entire decal folder and what happens.

It better be, because tga's are dump uncompressed bitmaps by themselves.

Years ago, the c5 site had a limited amound of transfer bandwidth so I wanted to optimize the downloads. I tested zip, rar, ace, 7z and some other compression methods and found 7z to be the best overall for the types of files that make up a typical SF download. Plus it is free and constantly updated.