Sign in to follow this  
Guest Levert

Is the A.I. cheating when dogfighting ?

Guest Levert

I noticed that MIG-17 and MIG-21 they make a turn, lose speed and then, still turning, they climb and they get from 200kts to 300kts , meanwhile I bearly keep pace with afterburner on and I got 200kts max when turning. How the hell is that possible ? I know That MIGs turning rate is better (especially MIG-17) but this is too much . Why MIGs don't lose speed when climbing and turning ? This cannot be real. For my plane (Mirage) the rules stand, I lose power (speed) when climbing , turning or not.

Yes, they do. Always have, always will.

nature of the beast

wrench

kevin stein

Guest Levert

Yes, they do. Always have, always will.

nature of the beast

wrench

kevin stein

Thank you ! Now at least I can sleep well tonight.

I noticed that MIG-17 and MIG-21 they make a turn, lose speed and then, still turning, they climb and they get from 200kts to 300kts , meanwhile I bearly keep pace with afterburner on and I got 200kts max when turning.

Your problem stems from the fact that you're attempting to push past the point of buffetting in a delta-winged aircraft. Deltas can perform perhaps 2-3 hard turns at speed, before induced drag slows them way down. You need to unload and build speed again, and learn how to use BnZ (Boom and Zoom), as opposed to TnB (Turn and Burn) tactics: http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_024a.html

I have no problems killing both 17s and 21s with the Mirage IIIC, it is, in fact, my aircraft of choice when dealing with MiG-17s.

Guest Levert

Your problem stems from the fact that you're attempting to push past the point of buffetting in a delta-winged aircraft. Deltas can perform perhaps 2-3 hard turns at speed, before induced drag slows them way down. You need to unload and build speed again, and learn how to use BnZ (Boom and Zoom), as opposed to TnB (Turn and Burn) tactics: http://www.simhq.com...r/air_024a.html

I have no problems killing both 17s and 21s with the Mirage IIIC, it is, in fact, my aircraft of choice when dealing with MiG-17s.

What's that "boom & zoom"? Shooting with gun after zooming ?

However I didn't say I can't handle them, I said they seem to cheat.

Boom & zoom is keeping your speed up, making maneuvers that doesn't bleed to much airspeed making slash attacks. Speed=energy and if you run out of energy. You'll probably lose the fight.

Delta wing planes pretty much are the epitome of boom and zoom. You can get fancy every once in a while, but you better have a pretty good knowledge of what various threat aircraft can do while you are bleeding speed mixing it up.

Guest Levert

Boom & zoom is keeping your speed up, making maneuvers that doesn't bleed to much airspeed making slash attacks. Speed=energy and if you run out of energy. You'll probably lose the fight.

thank you for translating the phrase for me.

Guest Levert

Delta wing planes pretty much are the epitome of boom and zoom. You can get fancy every once in a while, but you better have a pretty good knowledge of what various threat aircraft can do while you are bleeding speed mixing it up.

I noticed that the only safe escape when you got a persistent follower in your tail is to go up fast. When you do that they give up chasing. Once in a while if is MIG-21 he tries to climb slowly , too.

Mig-21 AI can be outturn even if it cheats, it usually breaks from a turn much sooner than the Mig-17 despite the building up speed. I have seen it in WoV and in WoI many times. Against the Mig-17 its even less of a worry if they cheat or not. They cant get to you no matter what, unless you fall into their "dumb&dumber" slow turning game.

I noticed that the only safe escape when you got a persistent follower in your tail is to go up fast. When you do that they give up chasing. Once in a while if is MIG-21 he tries to climb slowly , too.

They won't give up so easily all the time.

While flying Mirages and F-102s, my getaway tactic was to go all out at low level until sufficient speed was built up for a full burner zoom climb. However, you can and will have MIGs chase you all the way to 40,000 ft!

The main problem with MIG-21s is the climb makes you a perfect target for an Atoll if it has enough energy to hold the nose steady long enough to allow for a proper lock. I lost a few from my squadron due to that.