Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

An Incredible OFF Pilot Persona History Resource

Greetings All,

You know, sometimes the most obvious good ideas are staring you in the face for ages and you never return their gaze. Last evening I decided I wanted to start a new early-war RFC career with 24 Squadron and was trying to sort out a pilot persona to create some “history” around before taking to the skies, (something I’ve done since the old RB days). As I was mulling over a few different possibilities it suddenly occurred to me that there is a massive stock available to us all on the internet in the guise of “Flight” magazine, (an aviation history resource I have turned to many times over the years, but for other reasons). For those of you who may not be aware, “Flight” was a premier aviation publication that began back in 1909 and was printed for nearly 100 years, and every one of those copies is electronically archived in PDF format and available in the public domain. Of further note, (and that of primary import here), a regular early feature of this magazine was the monthly listings of those who had earned their flying certificates. So, I jumped online and starting poking about for a 2nd Lieutenant who had been awarded his certificate in the latter part of 1915 as this would be about the right timing to have him likely assigned to the newly-formed 24 Squadron in March of 1916, (the wheels of British military aviation did not turn with any great speed at this point, and it was not unusual at all for potential combat pilots to sit around for months on end at various flight schools, training centers, and home defense units before actually being assigned to a frontline squadron).

The man I have chosen to try and honour as my new BHaH pilot is Samuel Trevor Ravenscroft, formerly of the Lancashire Hussars. He was presented Certificate #1748 on September 5th, 1915, and trained in Norwich on the Maurice Farmans. His name appears only twice in all the data bases I searched, and both times in “Flight” magazine, so he is a perfect choice to build a character around. The first entry is found on the following page:

Flight_Magazine_9_24_1915.jpg

The second entry for this gentleman was in the July 1st, 1920 edition and noted the following information:

"Married: Capt. S. Trevor Ravenscroft (late Lancs. Hussars and R.A.F), third son of Samuel Ravenscroft, of Brathay, Oxton, Cheshire, and Broughton Grange, Cartmel, Lancashire, was married on June 9 at Chapel Royal, Savoy, to Marjorie, youngest daughter of the late Henry and Mrs. Jenks, of Barrow Hedge, Carshalton, Surrey, and Dunairds, Birnam, Perthshire."

As one who likes to build a rather complete timeline for his characters this kind of information to work from is a bit like finding the proverbial pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, and I thought I would share it with those of you who have a fondness for the same sort of background creation for your own pilots. Here is the link to the very first copy in the archives:

"Flight" Magazine Archives

I hope you folks will find this as useful a resource as I have, as well as food for thought.

Cheers!

Lou

Hey Lou,

Thanks for the heads up, I too use the Flight archive a lot. You may well be aware that Cross & Cockade also publishes Aero Certificate numbers but not in so much detail - nor is it in the PD. However, I'm actually posting to suggest, with your penchant for backstory, that you might be interested in creating yourself an S. T. Ravenscroft version of the attached, which I put together for the work-in-progress I mentioned when asking you about your sig pic.

Happy to send you the layered constructon .psd file, if you wish. The attached is 75% of the original size.

RAeC Certificate.jpg

TKS uncleal, I have read that article before, and many personal accounts that support it.

Dej, very nice item you've put together there Sir, and great minds do think alike. :biggrin: I have a very similar Aero Club certificate project on my old home computer that was born from an earlier item I built years ago for the 209 website, of which my personal copy looked like this:

louvertpilotID.jpg

When I get home this evening I'll see if I can locate the RAC project and dust it off for my new pilot. Thanks for unintentionally reminding me that I have it Dej.

Cheers!

Lou

:grin: You're very welcome, Lou. Interesting resource there Uncleal, I've not read through that before. I really must spend more time WILFing at The Aerodrome... seem to spend most of it here though :grin: