Sign in to follow this  
carrick58

name the plane

Guest rscsjsuso5

let me guess its a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Aircraft i'm sure i'm 50 percent correct . now its up to you guys/gals to choice the correct one from the list from wiki. :grin: probably a plane in the 1930s , beginning to mid 1930s?

Oh, it's a Hawker to be sure. And this particular model was named after a somewhat significant figure mentioned in the Old Testament...hint, hint...wink, wink...nudge, nudge...

I wouldn't have known that to save my life, but do now, thanks to the hints :) Never imagined that name was in the bible ! Good lesson all round !

Oh, it's a Hawker to be sure. And this particular model was named after a somewhat significant figure mentioned in the Old Testament...hint, hint...wink, wink...nudge, nudge...

Now you've made it too easy, Lou. I'd be lying if I claimed to be an OT expert, but I do know my Elgar.

Hawker Fury or a Hawker Hart.

I made 1/72 scale model of the Fury.

The great conqueror of Assyria (Genesis 10)??

Old Testament? A Hawker Moses? No. Hawker Abraham? No. Ahhhmmmm.....

I should think, it's a Fury (there was an AIRFIX model of it in my youth - sob!)

Was Fury already in the Old Testament? I know that black horse only from a 60s TV serial. :pilot:

I had a lovely print of a Hawker Hart, signed by it's pilot as a kid...lost it though...bugger

So it's Hart? Not a Fury? Well, what do Germans know about British aircraft (other than how to shoot them down).

What about this one?

This is all too cryptic!

The Fury was a single seater, land based fighter.

The Hart was a two seater, land based army co-op/bomber.

The picture shows a single seater, arrestor hook equipped, RN marked aircraft; which suggests maritime connections.

Think of the maritime patrol / AEW aircraft, based on the de Haviiland Comet, in RAF Service.

The mighty hunter from Genesis 10: Nimrod.

Now there ya go Wallaroo. A Hawker Nimrod, and a MK I to be precise. However, I will confess I know it's a MK I due to it's tail number and the fact that this particular Nimrod resides in the Imperial War Museum collection in Duxford, and not because I can spot a 477 hp Rolls-Royce Kestrel power plant from its exhaust ports. :biggrin:

Thank you carrick, may we have another please?

Those Hawker biplanes just looked so right. They - and the Gladiator - and the Avia 534. Don't get me wrong - my SE5a, my Camel and - maybe one day - my Snipe, are right up there too.

Those Hawker biplanes just looked so right. They - and the Gladiator - and the Avia 534. Don't get me wrong - my SE5a, my Camel and - maybe one day - my Snipe, are right up there too.

Well done A hawker Fury or so the ai show caption said.

No carrick, I'm afraid the caption is quite incorrect about it being a Fury. That Sir is most certainly the Hawker Nimrod MK I on display at Duxford.

Cheers!

Lou