Sign in to follow this  
bruceD

Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome

Just wondered If anyone here has been there in NY. I went last year, finally after years of wanting to go. All I can say is If you ever get the chance go ! To actually get close and even get to touch these great aircraft is something. Now to see them fly is something even better, although I must admit I have great admiration for the guys that went up in these aircraft, never mind start shooting at each other. There very fragile, at least they look that way. The engines are all so different too. One blew out a rod or piston just while we were there.

I took some pictures too If anyones interested.

Yes Bruce, my son and I went there several years ago, and it is an amazing place. On the first day we were there it was raining and when we arrived, just as they were opening the gates, we discovered we were the only visitors and had the place to ourselves for several hours. I was wearing my old USAF flight jacket at the time, and I think due to that, (at least in part), I was allowed to climb up and sit in both the Alb DVa and SE5. If anyone is ever in that area during the summer months they should be sure to find the time to go and enjoy the entire collection and weekly air show.

Please do post your photos Sir, I'd love to see them.

Cheers!

Lou

BruceD,

Like RAF_L I am very interested in seeing the pictures that you took.

Thanks

Rugbyfan1972

Rhineeck is an amazing place

It's been a while, I must go back

Yes, post some pics please!

yeah.....very cool.....was there years ago shooting an hour special for the Smithsonian. Cole Palin offered to tow all the old planes out of a Long Island airfield museum as it had been sold to mall developers. It was Roosevelt Field where Lindbergh took off in the S of St. L ....now another ghastly shopping center...they all went in pieces up to Rhinebeck where the collection and it's reassembly became the focal point for WW1 artisans and enthusiasts....and remains one of the few places that still trots these marvels out of the hangers and fires 'em up.....very cool indeed

I'd like to see them too - please post the pix.

:grin: Never got to the N.Y. area. I was on the East Coast for a few days 5 years ago ,but was in the heart of Dixie. Maybe some day N.Y. I would love to be able to walk around and touch those a/c.:this:

Here's a few, it was a shame there was quite a wind so a lot of aircraft didn't go up, but at least none came down suddenly!

4758018099_e4caf27f95_b.jpg

4758018109_cfc296af34_b.jpg

4758018115_a51c4f73cf_b.jpg

4758018117_e8f90ebefc_b.jpg