Sign in to follow this  
Skyviper

What about space combat sims?

I only know of two unfortunately like Star Lancer Free Lancer(which wasn't all that to mee...it would've been cool if you had a choice in what you said to people like Fallout) and Decent Freespace.

The one thing found frustrating(at first) in Star Lancer was the fact that the enemy continously just did a barrel roll manuever while going to the left or right. I liked my "gravity based" sims where one can easily anticipate where the bogie is going. Free Lancer was more a movie for me than a game and didnt have crap do with the Star Lancer.

Anyway...what about you do you play space combat sims when you find a good one? Or are space combat sims one those things where if you played one then you played them all? :dntknw:

And the by the way I'm also looking for a really sweet combat flight sim that deals with carrier base operations. Jet fighter three was the last carrier based sim that I played where I had an ILS. I'm looking for an easy to play(not too easy) but at the same time I don't want a to play a sim where if I play it long enough I can fly the real thing blind folded(i.e Flanker 2.5 I loved the game...I really did I just didn't have time to learn everysingle system and so and so forth so I really couldnt enjoy it like I wanted. I loved the fact at how much stuff you could do...such as ATA refueling...)

Depends what you're looking for.

There's the X series that has great visuals and a mixture of combat and trade/industry. Plenty of mods and modding.

Starshatter is ok, it's not as polished since it comes from a small indie dev like TK, but it's got newtonian physics, dynamic campaigns and atmospheric flight/combat.

Or there's EVE if you like the online approach, but you don't directly steer the ship and fire the guns in combat. It has a similar mixture to the X games. I just got it (amazing discount on steam) and am in a corp that's recruiting.

Freelancer is a decent game...sure it has it's share of missed potential, there are (or at least were) a quite a few MODs that added some improvement, but it seemed to me that these MODs usually added too much stuff, which also didn't fit really into the Freelancer universe

Also, TIE-Fighter...Best! Star Wars sim! Ever! *cue Imperial March* :tongue:

I would LOVE a new X Wing or TIE Fighter sim. Just give me the old game with modern graphics and sound, actually, as the missions and voices were well done and the AI was good enough.

Me I have the latest X3 Terran Conflict modded to the nines... and it rocks space trading with attitude when you have a carrier with nearly 100 fighters in support with destroyers and support... leaves for epic space battles... Best fight I had was 5 destroyers with about 40 figthers 8 corvettes vs a whole mess of Xenon bad guys it sure made my PC work that night :lol:

Saying that David Brabens been working on a new Elite for about a decade if it ever meets the light of day...

Edited by Slartibartfast

Wing Commander! My first space combat sim. If they revive that series with modern day graphics, AI, and a quality job with functionality, moddability, and overal story depth, that game would freaken rock! I would love to manually land a Rapier onboard the TCS Tiger's Claw, with com traffic advisements on my approach, or initiate the catapult launch sequence off the flight deck.

However, the main space combat sim that I've been playing with since 2002 (when it first came out) is Star Trek: Bridge Commander. Plenty of mods for it that totally upgrade that game to current standards. Best thing about it, it has a community that is very devoted to it, just like the one here for the SF series. Just go to www.bcfiles.com or www.bc-central.com for news and info for what's happening with this game. There's a lot that the modding community that has put out that makes this game so awesome. The only problem with it is that there's a memory leak... so if you overload the game with too much action... the game will lock-up.

Freespace 2 and it's mods, including B5 and BSG, is still considered one of the best space shooters out there.

Now, if you like your space fighting to have some Newtonian physics, try Independence War. You can get it at GOG.COM for 6 bucks. But don't bring it weak...the Indies will have you for lunch if you can't hack it.

FC

I would LOVE a new X Wing or TIE Fighter sim. Just give me the old game with modern graphics and sound, actually, as the missions and voices were well done and the AI was good enough.

I second that!

I agree. Lucasarts have released special editions of the Monkey Island games (at least the first 2) so why not XWing special edition? I'd buy it.

yep, tie figher is good even though outdated. I still play x-wing and xwing alliance. Just be sure you get the Windows adaption of them. Theres tons of missions you can download off net for those too. Stay tuned as G4 reports there may be remakes of these using better graphics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_TIE_Fighter

Edited by dsawan

There's also Free Allegiance, a former Microsoft game but which miraculously they've abandoned and actually given to the fans to expand on and play, it's a bit complicated to set up since it's mostly online only (they've actually managed to pull off some games involving around 200+ people IIRC... It has real physics (meaning you don't stop after you've accelerated, you have to use counter-thrust, meaning also you can accelerate in one direction, spin around and fire backwards whilst still going in the original direction). Oh, did I mention it was free to download and play?

http://www.freeallegiance.org/

Also coming up as free to play space shooter MMO is Black Prophecy... is going to be awesome, I wish I had gotten to the pre-beta testing... oh well, guess I'll just sign on when it goes live...

http://blackprophecy.com/

Edited by TX3RN0BILL

You can try FFED3D a revised version of Braben's Frontier First Encounter.

At that forum you'll find more remakes.

You can try FFED3D a revised version of Braben's Frontier First Encounter.

At that forum you'll find more remakes.

Good Call... Also check out Oolite... its The original Elite with a bit more...

:ok: Cool. Thanks!:grin:

I still regularly play X-Wing Alliance. Still a great game. Always so brilliant to have your A-Wing deposit your space bombs at point blank. But indeed, some progress in the graphics would be welcome. I'd particularly enjoy some spectacular cinematic explosions with dynamic lights in your cockpit. Something close to the movies.

Freelancer suffers from an arcade-style third-person space fight, very limited (say, symbolic) potentialities in interstellar trade, an imposed very restrictive script, and moreover, you embody an insipid poseur. But it had nonetheless some good points: amusing universe inspired from the mourned Earth, amusing settings, and intermittent at will cinematic sequences of physical interaction from biped to biped: you don't have this horrible impression of being a hermit crab never leaving his shell you could feel in X3 or Elite. I had a special relation to that game: in 2004, I played it very intensively for two weeks, mostly long into the night, playing nothing else, and soon reaching Level 17 or something. Then I suddenly gave up, and never came back to the ongoing adventure, and rarely to the game.

I have never been really passionate about X3, and never began a real immersive campaign. Oh sure, many potentialities indeed, splendid graphics, extensive universe with large freedom, but... On the other hand, in my early 20s, I've spent countless evenings on Elite 2: Frontier, playing the nice guy (that is, smuggling slaves and drugs, attacking smaller ships, and assassinating for cash while flying my favourite Imperial Courier). I liked the way you really felt flying a spacesoap in the vacuum, prisoner of your own inertia, rather than flying an arcade spaceship. Sometimes very frustrating, always very amusing.

Von Paulus, thank you for the link. This JJED3D reminds me of ancient sensations. But a last word for ending: ELITE 4, RIGHT NOW !!!

Sorry but.....

BLEACH......

Fase, Laser.....ahahahahahah. Why to fight a "Cold War" into a Star Trek scenario when you can really fight a "real" worldwide 3WW

Why call the Soviet "Klingons"?

Why Dogfignt with a XWing Fighter Vs a Tie Figter when you can engage an hard fight with a Falcon Vs a Mig29?

This is the way because i love SF series with all its well knewn limitations.....

Mau.

Edited by NGHENGO

anyone remember 'Epic?'

Loved it!

Does anybody played any of the Evochron series?

It seems to be interesting. I'm considering buying it, but any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Does anybody played any of the Evochron series?

It seems to be interesting. I'm considering buying it, but any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

That looks interesting. I might try it out.

Falcon

AdAstra. Free. Open.

http://www.a-astra.com/

screen14.jpg

Warning. The game world is one huge hostile evironment. Learn to run away or perish.

Tachyon: The Fringe had good gameplay and good storyline for good/bad guys.

For rather hardcore physics check out Terminus.

Hardwar - not a "space" sim but comes very close with its freeplay, docking. Recharging under table lamps is new though.

anyone remember 'Epic?'

Loved it!

Oh Frak (had to get a Sci-Fi Reference in there) I had forgotten about that...

And I think I am going to give AD_Astra a go...

Edited by Slartibartfast

Space Combat sims? Are you kidding me? Things have gotten so bad, even Darth Vader had to resort to bank robbery. And you're asking about space combat sims.....sheesh! :grin:

X3 terran conflict is a really good mix of combat, trade, faction relation, sandbox game. really REALLY a must have.

Oh Frak (had to get a Sci-Fi Reference in there) I had forgotten about that...

And I think I am going to give AD_Astra a go...

"Frack" from Battlestar Galactica? :cool:

I have just installed and tried AdAstra for a while. It seems to be quite a attractive and deserving game. Sure, some of the ships designs seem to have been conceived by a junkie attacked by a flock of gooses while under LSD influence. But the stellar systems are really interesting, and most of the classics of the explore-fight-trade open spacegames seem to have been kept or enhanced. Viper, thank you very much for the link.

I enjoy spacefights, provided I have the biggest ship by far, and the Death Star Superlaser. No yells, no blood, no traces: Deep Space is a so clean place.