Sign in to follow this  
harryleith

Backup tool

I have seen a few people speak about backups, and with all the tweaks and changes I have made to the game and aircraft I would hate to lose it all in a crash. I advise small businesses on backup solutions and I am currently testing a free backup utility called FBackup. (http://www.fbackup.com/). It allows you to very simple automate backups on your computer, and is free to use and has an easy wizard to help you set up a scheduled or manual backup. (The company also makes a commercial version, but this is the light and simple alternative).

I set up a quick backup to copy my SF2 install, and back up any incremental changes weekly. It seems to be working OK at the moment, but I will post again if I have any issues. Anyone else want to give it a go?

I've often thought of providing a service or access to data storage where gamers and really anyone can backup files securely and remotely for a very reasonable rate. My only reservation would be the market and how many people would be interested. In reality getting 40-50 people using it would be a waste of resources but getting 150-200 people using it and it would at least break even. Think about it though a simple interface to backup all your gaming related data and specific files that can be recovered in minutes. Talk about a time saver.

Erik, it sounds great, but I know of so many services that offer free backup online, even for Gb of data, and hard drives are relatively cheap these days. Check these out: http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/best-free-online-backup-sites.htm

The problem I have with my business clients isn't where to backup, but making it seamless for them. They always forget to do it. I was suggesting FBackup might be useful as a scheduling tool.

I have been trialling using FBackup and DropBox together, one to do the backup, and the other to make a copy off-site. I would hate to lose my data, especially the tweaks to aircraft like the A-4G Skyhawk, where I have skins from several sources and custom loading/hangar screens.

Edited by harryleith

If you have Windows Vista or 7 they have a built-in backup tool, granted that its abilities are limited.

Thanks for the Headsup...Working in IT as well, with clients who are as tight as a Fishes Arse...this is a good un!

Cobian Backup is also a free backup tool.

It's much more complete than the one that comes with Windows.

You can make different kind of backups (incremental, differential, full) and can also schedule.

It's quite complete and easy to use, much better than some similar commercial applications.

Edited by Von Paulus