Sign in to follow this  
rabu

Huge TrackIR Improvement

I've been using TrackIR5 for awhile and I've discovered the biggest problem is having it too close or not centered on your head which can cause problems especially when you look up or down and suddenly it can't track and you loose control of your view, or it gets jerky. I had my TIR clipped to the top of my 22" LCD monitor which is on an adjustable arm clamped to my computer desk. When I'm sitting and working at the computer the ideal distance for the screen is about 18"-24" in front of me. Text is sharpest and in a game I get the full impact of the screen image. Problem is, the TIR is way to close and if I push the screen back further I don't enjoy the full impact of the screen image being closer. OF course, if you have a huge 30" or bigger monitor it could sit far enough back so the TIR can just clamp onto the monitor, but 24" or smaller monitors this is a great solution.

took an old clamp that was used to hold a chair umbrella and clamped it onto my display pivot arm and then attached the TIR to the top of the clamp arm. It sits about 1 foot behind the front of the screen and just above it. The improvement has been amazing.. much smoother viewing and I don't loose the view looking down or up anymore.

If you have something you can clamp onto behind your screen this works really well and you could use one of those clamp on desk lights.. just remove the cord and light fixture part and improvise. Or you could use a small, inexpensive tripod easel or camera tripod in much the same way.

Below are pictures of my setup:

TIR5_setup2.jpg

TIR5_setup3.jpg

My screen view with the TIR unit sitting about 12" behind the screen face.. hehe.. anyone recognize this "sim?" Have fun :grin:

TIR5_setup1.jpg

That setup looks like something straight out of a Terminator movie. Nice. :grin:

Since I acquired my Track IR I have counted myself even more fortunate in having, by chance, possibly the best flight sim computer desk that is actually a normal piece of furniture.

It's a big late 1920s roll top writing desk. Each side of the desktop centre is a pull out shelf about A4 size, perfectly positioned for a HOTAS setup. The desk is deep enough that I can sit my 24" monitor between 2 and 3 feet from my eyes and easily fit a keyboard in front. The top of the roll top section at the back of the desk is about 6" above the top of the monitor and extends a foot further back, perfect place for my Track IR and my speakers and all the wirelss network gubbins. Behind and at the sides of the monitor are enough cubby holes to store dvds, maps and other docs, with even a space for my hat! The desk sits on two integral pedestals, one with drawers that accommodate more dvds and PC bits and the other with upright slots for more document filing. The space between the pedestals perfectly accommodates my rudder pedals, with space behind for my subwoofer. The only thing it can't readily support is my PC case, which sits at the side, but if I took out the document storage in one pedestal it would accommodate that too.

I don't know who designed this desk, and suspect he's long dead, but I'd shake his hand if I could.

Oh, and when you pull the roll-top down it's back to a non-technical piece of furniture... I love it.

Edited by Dej

Hahaha!

You Crumpets are really special at blending the old with the new!

Pictures please - open & closed, Dej!

Hahaha!

You Crumpets are really special at blending the old with the new!

Pictures please - open & closed, Dej!

I agree, sounds great, can you take some pix and post them here?

rabu, this is a great bit of info, and I will have to try something along those same lines myself and see if I notice an improvement, (though my TIR seems to be working very well, but that doesn't mean it can't be better).

Dej, I too am very interested in seeing your flying desk. Sounds almost steampunk. :smile:

Cheers!

Lou

Rabu, thanks for the reminder! Since quite some time, I had planned to build my wall-mounted

shelves behind the monitor a little higher, so that I could place TrackIR a bit behind the monitor.

Did that today (some 12 cm / 4 - 5 inches), and the result is a great improvement!

I can now lean out of my cockpit much further, or when rolling on the field, look forward left or right

of the Albatros' nose, without getting stuck.

Not having any room behind my monitor, I decided to try moving TiR a bit higher. I placed it on top of my center speaker about 7 inches higher than it was before, tilted it down a bit and I did get quite an improvement. Thanks for the tip!

Well rabu, I built a bracket today and relocated the TIR as per your instructions and it has made a marked improvement. A tad smoother in performance. But better than that, I don't have to "center" it nearly as often as I used to after a lot of panning around in a dogfight. Here is a photo I just snapped of my little flying set-up so that you can see, (amongst other things), the placement of the bracket on the top of my old monitor:

Many thanks for this most useful tip rabu. :good:

Cheers!

Lou

What do you always say - holy Schnickee?!?!

Are you dressing up with that (French?) dark blue uniform, before you start OFF, Lou?

What a fine piece, and well decorated with medals!

Makes me think of co-starting another French campaign again - even without that blue dress.

Indeed RAF - that French uniform is top notch. But, my god man, treat yourself to a wide screen LCD - OFF will look sooo much better.

That is indeed a fine piece of work, Lou. you mean you finished it and kept it quiet... tsk!

I see you're back on the DH2. BH has challenged me to write the 'Flying and air-fighting' guide for it if he does the DH5. Which bribe I fell for as I'd love to survive in No. 24 long enough to get the SE, so I'll do it... but I'm sure you're the better DH2 pilot.

Anyway, since you guys have asked I'll post a couple of pics of my desk when I get back home on Thursday.

Yes Olham, it's "Holy Schnikee!", and no I don't actually wear the Sous-lieutenant outfit. But it does serve as magnifique inspiration.

Barkhorn1x, a wide screen LCD is on my list to Santa, and I'm doing my best to be good this year, sooooooo...

Dej, I thought I had posted an update on the uniform project after I'd added the finished kepi, but perhaps not. Still trying to sort out the proper red trousers though. Now then, I don't know about being the better DH2 pilot, but we'll see how far S. Trevor Ravenscroft makes it in 24 Squadron. 11 missions so far and 23.6 flying hours, which is a good start I think.

BTW, thanks Gents for the praise on the uniform project. It's been a labour of love for a while now.

Cheers!

Lou

RAF: What I want to know is... cdoes the TIR clip attach to the brim of that blue hat? :grin: And.. what's the nice stop watch for?

No need for the TIR clip on the kepi, those shiny numbers, badge and trim do the trick just fine. :biggrin:

Now as to the watch rabu, it's actually this:

post-45680-001380100%201278381927.jpg

An original Royal Flying Corps Mark IVa that I was fortunate enough to acquire some time back. It is tagged No. 4752AG on the face, and after popping open the back I discovered it is an Octava movement. Also, after a little cleaning it's been keeping perfect time and has become my "flying timepiece". For those who might not know, the Mark IVa was used in the cockpits of the RFC planes at the beginning of the War until they were superseded by the Mark V midway through 1916. This is the selfsame watch that pilots were told to be sure and retrive when they crashed their kites, as failure to do so was grounds for charges and punishment, (as if the poor sod didn't have enough to worry about when he crashed in No Man's Land).

Cheers!

Lou

Ahh.. I remember now, you posted pix of this several months ago.. what a find; A beauty! Now all you need is a wicker chair! :ok:

TKS rabu, it is a treat to use the actual watch from a Great War aeroplane when flying my OFF missions. And funny you should mention the chair Sir, I am looking into just such an item. :smile:

WOW Lou,

I'm very impressed with the setup and outfit.

Pls wear the outfit and boots for us, sitting behind the joystick and send a picture.

M

:clapping:

Thanks Morris, but I would have to get back to my 1970's USAF 185 pounds of lean and mean to have any chance of fitting into that French tunic, (oh to be that trim again). :biggrin:

Also, I personally would never wear the awards of another. I have no problem with folks wearing replica medals or even those never issued, when in a costume or role-playing situation. But to put on the honours actually presented to another just doesn't seem right to me and, IMHO, devalues not only the medals themselves but more importantly the acts of courage and sacrifice made by that individual which garnered him those honours.

OK, off my soapbox now...carry on.

I remember seeing you post a pic of the uniform some time ago, Lou (Or was is some other uniform?). With the kepi and all those medals it looks really nice. And you have a very correct approach to handling those medals, if I may say so. No matter what one may think of the whole system of rewarding deeds of great courage with a small piece of coloured ribbon with metal hanging from it, such awards should be treated with respect. It may sound strange, but I feel uncomfortable with the idea of selling awards at auctions for ridiculously high prices. Some original medals, such as the Pour le Mérite, cost fortunes, while other less-known but in their time equally prestigious, if not even more so, awards can be had really cheaply. Is the PLM really so much more valuable than a similar award from Italy or Romania?

Sorry for going off-topic in your thread, Rabu. :cool:

As promised, my desk.

Sorry about the quality of the light and picture clarity, I took them late evening as soon as I got in, so as not to forget. There's one of the desk closed, one as in use for OFF (in hurry, forgot to turn TIR on) and one as in use for other WW1 stuff... and I thought some of you might appreciate my current wallpaper :grin:

Oh, and it seems I have a 22" monitor not a 24" as I've been supposing, and as my missus has just pointed out and pulled out the invoice when I disagreed! Hrmmpf, efficent women... can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em!

Still, it means I can get a 24" then :wink:

Desk needs a bit of TLC which is why when we move house in a couple of months I'll lose it while the missus restores it... yes, she can do furniture restoration too :sigh:

Dej: I'll lose it while the missus restores it... yes, she can do furniture restoration too :sigh:

Okay, OKAY - now I want to see a picture of the missus! A woman who can restore furniture!

That should mean, she can also do other things, most other women cannot? Impressive!

Very nice, Dej, you have your very own little corner of the world to retreat to. :good:

Dej: I'll lose it while the missus restores it... yes, she can do furniture restoration too :sigh:

Okay, OKAY - now I want to see a picture of the missus! A woman who can restore furniture!

That should mean, she can also do other things, most other women cannot? Impressive!

She cetainly can... this is her with the last piece of furniture she restored :grin:

OMG - Masochistic Furniture Yoga - I had never seen that here in Europe before! :grin:

But seriously now: your OFF Cockpit surely is one of the nicest I have seen so far!

The blend of antique furniture with the modern gear, which can be locked away -

very good, Dej!

The pic on top, and the one-eye glass make me combine: artillery observer?