Sign in to follow this  
Ras

Thrill of My Life Today

Today, i was able to get into some real life flying in an old New Standard D-25 and then I also took a flight in a 1926 Travel Air 400. These and about 15 other planes (mostly vintage) are part of the American Barnstormer tour. What a treat to get into the skies for a heck of a ride. In the first ride, about 15 of these old relics took off and flew around Alexandria, MN following each other and having the wind blow in our face. I even ahad a splat of oil land on my camera lens. If anyone is interested I did a video and it is here:

Now this video is not nearly as well done as videos of some of these same planes on You Tube, but it still was a thirll.

The American Barnstormer tour info can be found here: http://www.americanbarnstormerstour.com/

I also took many pics of these planes, otheres were Fairchilds, Wacos, Stinsons and Stearmans. If anone is intersted, send me a PM and I will send you the link to Photobucket where I have them. There are just too many to put on this location. Now, i must go fly and pretend the wind is blowing in my face

Wow, just 8 years after WWI!

Looks like a whale of fun Ras

Gret lifetime memory for sure

Today, i was able to get into some real life flying in an old New Standard D-25 and then I also took a flight in a 1926 Travel Air 400

Sir, I salute you for achieving something that's so far eluded me :drinks:! Thanks for the info, too.

BTW, I hope your significant other doesn't read this forum :lol:

Ah Ras, you fortunate fella. Big fun. I could not help but be reminded of OFF while watching your vid. Thanks for posting and sharing your grand time.

Some things can make you feel not a day older than 19, Ras - and I wished I could have been there.

That oil drop is an almost thrilling addition to zoom you back into the days, when those crates were made.

Please release the link to Photobucket here, if possible.

wow Ras

As much fun as a 30lb Pike I'm sure!...way to go!

Ras, I am truly happy for you Sir. There is NOTHING that compares to flying in an open cockpit. My first flight ever was in an old Stearman, so I was right there with you when I was watching your video. Wish I would have known about the show, I'd have tried to find a way to make the two-hour drive to Alex myself.

Cheers!

Lou

Ras, I am truly happy for you Sir. There is NOTHING that compares to flying in an open cockpit. My first flight ever was in an old Stearman, so I was right there with you when I was watching your video. Wish I would have known about the show, I'd have tried to find a way to make the two-hour drive to Alex myself.

Cheers!

Lou

Darn, Lou. Wew could have met, and had one of those "Cuppas" you often refer too.

Here is the link to thel photos at the Barnstormer show. Go to the "Barnstormer" Album, but don't let the first picture of the toilet and sink fool you. That is taken from the rear of the Travel Air 6000.

http://s284.photobucket.com/home/dane48/index

I was planning on going to the Oshkosh Air show, but won't make it as planned. So, feeling good that I was able to make this. They had where you could go into the air in a Stearman trainer, and have control of the plane for a while. The cost and the fact you probably would have only done a few slight turns and not have a chance to dive and do Immelmans didn't appeal to me. After all our flying in OFF, we certainly wouldn't be satisfied with taking a level and slow flight, now would we? :grin:

.After all our flying in OFF, we certainly wouldn't be satisfied with taking a level and slow flight, now would we? :grin:

Depends on how much pub flying we'd been doing the night before...hee, hee, hee.

Lucky guy Ras.

Years ago while visiting a cousin in northern Idaho, we went to a small airfield north of Courdalain/Priest River. There was a Stearman parked next to the runway and a sign offering rides. There was no one around the plane so we walked around. My cousin told me there was a guy who collected old planes and kept them at the airfield. I looked in an open hanger and my heart about stopped. Inside I could see a DH2 and a Ryan. They were just sitting there, no fence or keep out signs, so I went in. As I entered, on my left there was a P-40, and at the far end of the hanger was a Ford Tri motor. Who would think these things could possibly be in some back water Idaho airfield?

My cousin told me there was a shop near by that produced flying replicas of WW1 planes; thus the DH2. Against the far right wall was a disassembled DH4. Wings, fusalage and rudder all in unpainted linen. He told me they were making a replica U S Mail plane. He said they were also making a Dr1.

Well so far, no one had come to kick me out so I continued to explore. I climbed onto the wing of the P-40 and looked inside, then moved on to the DH2. You know when you stand on the wheel and lean in to look at the cockpit you sorta unbalance the craft and it starts to raise the tail skid and nose over; I got down pretty quick. The rear starbord door of the Trimotor was open so I climbed in. Two rows of passenger seats lead the way to the cockpit area.

All the time I was there no one came and kicked me out or said hands off. I had all these planes to myself.

My cousin said the place was named Hendon Aerodrome or something like that. I have since not been able to find it listed. Gues I should put a call in to my cousin and see if he recalls.........................

Lucky guy Ras.

Years ago while visiting a cousin in northern Idaho, we went to a small airfield north of Courdalain/Priest River. There was a Stearman parked next to the runway and a sign offering rides. There was no one around the plane so we walked around. My cousin told me there was a guy who collected old planes and kept them at the airfield. I looked in an open hanger and my heart about stopped. Inside I could see a DH2 and a Ryan. They were just sitting there, no fence or keep out signs, so I went in. As I entered, on my left there was a P-40, and at the far end of the hanger was a Ford Tri motor. Who would think these things could possibly be in some back water Idaho airfield?

My cousin told me there was a shop near by that produced flying replicas of WW1 planes; thus the DH2. Against the far right wall was a disassembled DH4. Wings, fusalage and rudder all in unpainted linen. He told me they were making a replica U S Mail plane. He said they were also making a Dr1.

Well so far, no one had come to kick me out so I continued to explore. I climbed onto the wing of the P-40 and looked inside, then moved on to the DH2. You know when you stand on the wheel and lean in to look at the cockpit you sorta unbalance the craft and it starts to raise the tail skid and nose over; I got down pretty quick. The rear starbord door of the Trimotor was open so I climbed in. Two rows of passenger seats lead the way to the cockpit area.

All the time I was there no one came and kicked me out or said hands off. I had all these planes to myself.

My cousin said the place was named Hendon Aerodrome or something like that. I have since not been able to find it listed. Gues I should put a call in to my cousin and see if he recalls.........................

GHunter. For a moment I thought you might be talking about Greg Herrick as I thought he had an attachment not too many years ago out in that area. He has a wonderful collection of aircraft (not any WW1 aircraft-at least flying) but an amazing collection. His Ford Trimotor is one of the most famous still flying, along with a one of a kind Stinson Tri motor if I recall. I took a ride in the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association ) Ford Tri Motor late last summer from the location of where his museum is located. This same Ford Trimotor will be at the Oshkosh airshow each year (it is based out of there) and I know there was at least one member who mentioned he was going to attend. Lou, Rickitycrate , this is close by to your home, though not open very often. Worth a drive to Blaine if you have a chance. Here is a link which shows some of his famous aircraft in his collecton. It has to be worth considerable millions of dollars. http://www.goldenwingsmuseum.com/

Lucky bastard.

:drinks:

I can only repeat Morris's words: lucky bastard. :drinks:

No chance of that happening here ever. Flight shows are rare here; too few people, not much chance for profit.

Oh well, at least I occasionally see some Hornets of Fighter Squadron 11 from the air force base nearby.

Ras,

Managed to get some Stearman time myself a couple years back while getting my tailwheel endorsement. It's a wonderful experience. I'd been to the airfield you mentioned in Idaho and even offered a job there but I was 17 and from Ohio so it wasn't feasible. The place burned down a while ago, don't know how many years. Another tragic loss.