Sign in to follow this  
GHunter

Regarding TrakIR

Greetings all. I'm new here. Looks like I finally may have found a WW1 air war game worth investing in. I've been viewing videos and following posts and think this is the one for me. I had a question regarding the TrakIR. It appears as though it really is necessary to have one in order to be able to "survive" the game. My question is do I need the IR5? Or will the IR4 suffice? I am a cheap bas***d and the 4 is about $50.00 less than the 5. What are the differences? I am not much of a computer guy so have patience and speak slowly so I can understand.

Thanks in advance for you answers.

I sprung for the IR5 and it works great with many sims including, obviously, OFF.

I compared the two months ago - before I purchased - and IIRC the main difference was how "sensitive" the tracker hardware is.

I sure the pros (or those who have a better memory) can correct me or add information.

I'd go for the IR5 but that's just me.

Edit: Double post within a post(?)

Edited by DukeIronHand

Welcome to the wonderful world of very up-close and personal aerial combat, Hunter. You'll find we're a small but fanatical group and always happy to include a new member. Lots of helpful, informative people here, not only about WWI (all aspects, btw, not just aviation), but also about how to get the most out of your computer gaming experience. Be sure to visit our Knowledge Base; many of your as yet unasked questions have already been answered there.

Should you spring for TIR5 or will TIR4 still work? I can't really say, considering that I'm doing fine with a TIR3 Pro/Vector upgrade systen that's three or four years old. But then again, if I'm still doing well with that I guess TIR4 will be :ok:, too.

4 with 5 software is good, v5 is slightly better but hey if 4 works well and you are saving $ then up to you. I have a 4 with 5 software works well.

Welcome GH:

You might want to see my parallel post about TrackIR setup, it's very important.

I had TIR3 with the vector software and it worked fine and had the same 6 degrees of views. I now have TIR5 with the same physical ball cap reflector and it may be a bit smoother then the old one, but either one will work fine, so TIR4 shoud be fine too. From what I have heard from many owners, the diode clip has no advantage over the older ball cap reflector, unless you have very contrasty lighting in your room.

Evenging All,

I got the 4, but would now happily pay for the 5. (I also use the 5 software.)The website explains the "higher resolution" and wider angle of view with the newer device which would enhance the "experience".

[Do NOT buy the Pro Clip (the LED thingy), just use the cap mounted reflectors which come with the normal TrackIR5. --IMHO see my other posts about this.]

BUT you do not need the TrackIR to "survive" in Over Flanders Fields. The Padlock views are excellent and I think they might be even better than the TrackIr for surviving. I just thought I would go with the "reality" thing.

Salute,

George.

Edited by GeorgeBoles

Welcome to the OFF skies GHunter, new lads buy the drinks!

I have been running TIR 4 with the TIR 5 software for quite some time now, and it has worked beautifully for me. But you can't go wrong either way, IMHO. Another item that really makes the whole WWI OFF experience is a good set of rudder pedals, as these old kites love vast amounts of rudder input to really toss them about. So, if you don't already have a set you may want to consider those at some point in the not-too-distant future as well.

Now then, seeing as how it's still quite early, I believe I'll just go with an Irish coffee, thank you very much.

:drinks:

Cheers!

Lou

Thank you all very much for the info/opinions. I may just step up and get the 5 since I'm going to trash this computer and buy a new system anyway.

Don't think I'll try the home made types I'm not too handy with electronics/electrical stuff. I read about you guys "tweeking" files and talking about what your system specs are and I haven't a clue about any of it. For all I know there are tiny pixies in the computer box that make it all work by magic, An exec file is just a pixi in a suit with a top floor office.

So long as it works and is easy to install and run I will be happy.

Oh yeah......with regards to the controls. I have a microsoft force feedback joystick I need to dust off. Will that work well for now? Wonder where the soft ware for it is.....now that I think of it, I wonder where my copy of CFS3 is. The wife cleaned the computer desk. When I buy a new computer I may want that stuff.....................

...For all I know there are tiny pixies in the computer box that make it all work by magic. An exec file is just a pixi in a suit with a top floor office.

Shhhh. No one's supposed to know about that, especially INS. Didn't it ever seen odd that home computers started really picking up about the same time the Keebler elf ads started tapering off. Cheap labor. And yes, that's why they call them 'cookies'. :rofl:

I use a Sidewinder FFPro2 and the stick programming functions quite nicely, thank you. But I'm also using XP. I understand that wouldn't be the case with W7.