Sign in to follow this  
appraiserfl

This is going to revolutionize how I play OFF

Ok, so I am spoiled and have an over the top computer. Currently, I am running three Dell U2410 monitors at 6048x1200 resolution with OFF and it is an excellent experience.

0506201017057.jpg

However, I have a confession. I hate the bezels between the monitors, no matter how I try to live with them nothing pisses me off more than loosing a bogey in the bezel gap for that split critical second. Also, even though triple 24 screens are great, I have my xbox 360 hooked up to a 120" projector and I really miss big screen projector gaming. Here are a few projector setups I have had over the years:

My current setup with a 120 motorized screen:

091920096389.jpg

An old apartment I lived in after university and an old, old, projector setup I had five years ago (note the doorway on the bottom right of screen)

IMG_3088.jpg

IMG_3104.jpg

IMG_3102.jpg

So for the past few days I have been searching for two projectors to hook up together for the best of both worlds...BIG SCREEN WIDESCREEN GAMING!!

However, there are problems, issues and considerations to ponder when using projectors. The main problem is heat. Projectors throw off A LOT OF HEAT! My Sanyo LCD PLV Z4 turns my living room into a sauna after an hour of use...I am serious, it is unbearable, so the thought of what kind of heat two projectors would create was almost enough to discourage me. The second problem is lamp life. Your typical projector lasts 3,000-5,000 hours and replacement bulbs cost $200-$800 dollars!

I was just about to give up and then I found this little beauty!

http://www.sivalinstruments.com/projectors/mini-projector-mp720b1

This Isival uses LED tech which runs much, much cooler versus traditional LCD and DLP projectors and well just look at the colors he is hitting withi it in this ladybug demo

Also go to 1:20 in this video and check out the colors he is hitting with two of em in eyefinity at 2560x768 resolution!!!

Also, these have a lamp life of 30,000 hours!!!!! And the less resolution does not bother me (versus my triple dell setup) because that just means I will get better frame rates and can turn more sliders to 5!!!

So I ordered two of em and I will keep you all posted on how it goes, but given my past experience with bigscreen gaming and now the combination of two of em for bigscreen widescreen gaming.....I may never leave my mancave.

WOW!....you lucky bugger!...lovely setup! (just dont spill that Coffee!!!)

Wowzers! That is going to be THE way to experience OFF appraiserfl. Post a video once you are up and running.

There, but for the grace of a bigger checking account, go I. :biggrin:

I'm just gonna hang round your trash container whenever I need an upgrade :lol:

WOW!....you lucky bugger!...lovely setup! (just dont spill that Coffee!!!)

Oh the coffee has been spilled many times, luckily I am better geared for such emergencies than BP is.

I'm just gonna hang round your trash container whenever I need an upgrade :lol:

Thats actually not a bad idea lol, my trash container this year had a XFX 5870, Sapphire 5970, Q9650, 8 gigs of 1066 ddr2 ram, an asus p5q mobo, a 30" dell 2560x1600 3007wfp, three dell 2007fp monitors and now a Sanyo PLV-Z4 projector!

Edited by appraiserfl

Wowzers! That is going to be THE way to experience OFF appraiserfl. Post a video once you are up and running.

There, but for the grace of a bigger checking account, go I. :biggrin:

Ah, I hope so, I am moving into a bigger place at the end of the month...going from a one bedroom condo into a much larger two bedroom and the woman says I can have the second bedroom all to myself...so i am making it my dedicated man cave!

Appraiser.

Can you adopt me? Please!!

:grin:

lOL, Yes but you will have to sleep in the crate with the attack dogs

0706201018958.jpg

0701201018822.jpg

Ahh I just ordered a 1080p camcorder so I will be able to show you guys some footage with both the dell u2410 setup and the bezeless projector setup soon!

lOL, Yes but you will have to sleep in the crate with the attack dogs

0706201018958.jpg

0701201018822.jpg

I'll pass then - and be content to sift thru your garbage. :salute:

Hey, I called dibbs!!! :cool:

Cute pooches appraiserfl!

My Chee-hooah-hooah just turned 16 last month

...and he's still going strong!

lol, well in all fairness Duce did have dibs. I just got a pocket camcorder that records in 1080p so I will show you guys the setups in action when I get all the goodies.

This is the recorder I ordered, what a nifty lil gadget!

http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-PlaySport-Waterproof-Pocket-Camera/dp/B0030MITDK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1278510503&sr=8-1

Hey, I called dibbs!!! :cool:

Cute pooches appraiserfl!

My Chee-hooah-hooah just turned 16 last month

...and he's still going strong!

Thanks Duce, yea these are great lil doggiez and apparently built to last....happy birthday to your lil chicken leg hobo!!

I received these today and hastly set them up in my living room and the verdict is:

"GOOD GOD THESE ARE FAWKING TERRIBLE!!!"

I would go on and elaborate, but that would be a waste of your time and mine. Ill just put the bulletins up:

(1) Contrast is GOD AWFUL, I never realized how spoiled I am with my U2410 monitors and my old Z4 projector, but I am. Even at the best focus the text was very fuzzy to read.

(2) Color reproduction was Awful and the horrific black levels made me want to die. I had a headache in five minutes.

(3) There is a 15% restocking fee, which totals $150. I have asked customer support in an email to wave the fee so I will have to wait and see how expensive this terrible experiment turns out to be. If they bang me on the fee, I will never buy their products again and make it a mission to make sure nobody else does either. I will keep you posted on this.

Basically, the LED tech is a far way from being ready. The contrast, color, and brightness ratios need to come way, way up before the tech is doable.

I received these today and hastly set them up in my living room and the verdict is:

"GOOD GOD THESE ARE FAWKING TERRIBLE!!!"

I would go on and elaborate, but that would be a waste of your time and mine. Ill just put the bulletins up:

(1) Contrast is GOD AWFUL, I never realized how spoiled I am with my U2410 monitors and my old Z4 projector, but I am. Even at the best focus the text was very fuzzy to read.

(2) Color reproduction was Awful and the horrific black levels made me want to die. I had a headache in five minutes.

[snip]

Basically, the LED tech is a far way from being ready. The contrast, color, and brightness ratios need to come way, way up before the tech is doable.

I'm no expert on projectors but I did purchase 2 for my church

The sales rep told me that the screen is almost as important as the projector

It's reflective and has to be the right shade of silver/white/grey to reproduce colors (esp. black) correctly

We upgraded to an HD capable machine and the 50" diag videos are pretty good even with only a VGA cable

It is lamp based and we only fire it against a white wall but we couldn't be happier

Press hard for the restocking fee if you're set on that route

We got ours waved by doing an exchange instead of straight return

Someone posted here about a year ago a link to a cone shaped rear projection screen for gamers

By sitting real close and widening the FOV you could see 180o left/right and 90o up

Real neat stuff

btw. Chicken Legs says "Hi" :grin:

I'm no expert on projectors but I did purchase 2 for my church

The sales rep told me that the screen is almost as important as the projector

It's reflective and has to be the right shade of silver/white/grey to reproduce colors (esp. black) correctly

We upgraded to an HD capable machine and the 50" diag videos are pretty good even with only a VGA cable

It is lamp based and we only fire it against a white wall but we couldn't be happier

Press hard for the restocking fee if you're set on that route

We got ours waved by doing an exchange instead of straight return

Someone posted here about a year ago a link to a cone shaped rear projection screen for gamers

By sitting real close and widening the FOV you could see 180o left/right and 90o up

Real neat stuff

btw. Chicken Legs says "Hi" :grin:

Yep, they are going to waive the restocking fee. A classy company indeed and when the tech improves I will buy from them again. Hmmm, I got a good screen its just the same ol thing...you begin looking at $500 projectors and then you find yourself looking at $1,000 projectors and then you find yourself dreaming over the $2,000 projectors and wishing over the $5,000 projectors!