Edit: This is supposed to be in the SF2 forum. I made a little misstake it seems. And the game im using is the SF2 series.

A couple of questions.

Ive noticed that the F-5E gets way to high speeds on the briefing map.

With the figures below in mind i calculated that the cruise speed for the F-5E is around 500 knots. So what the game does is asking me on missions to hold speeds up to 800 knots when flying towards the mission objective. That is basicly full afterburner constantly. Looking at the F-16 its got cruise speed of 370 knots. And somehow i doubt that the climb and corner speeds should not be this similar in the two jets. I dont know if this is right or not but the cruise speed does seem a little fishy to me.

Any ideas?

[FlightControl] F-5E

StallSpeed=74.59

CruiseSpeed=257.2 500 knots

ClimbSpeed=337.39

CornerSpeed=218.6

MaxG=8.00

MaxSpeedSL=353.90

MachLimit=1.63

PitchDamper=0.95

RollDamper=0.35

YawDamper=0.25

GunBoresightAngle=1.5

RocketBoresightAngle=5.0

[FlightControl] F-16A

StallSpeed=57.77

CruiseSpeed=191.74

ClimbSpeed=385.91

CornerSpeed=204.02

LandingSpeed=60.25

MaxG=9.00

MaxSpeedSL=401.50

MachLimit=2.023

MachLimitDry=0.980

PitchDamper=0.6

RollDamper=0.8

YawDamper=0.03

SideslipDamper=0.01

DamperLimit=0.5

GunBoresightAngle=0

RocketBoresightAngle=-3.0

Thank you.

Edited by xclusiv8

What unit of measurement do you use to make 272 equal 500 knots?

the 257.2 is in m/s so 257,2*60*60 is 925,92 km/h wich is the same as 500 knots

There are two problems when picking the cruise speed for an aircraft. The first is that the information in books and on the internet varys wildly. Google for "F-5E cruise speed" and you'll see what I mean. Most sites seem to list something they call "max cruise speed" which is even higher than 500 knots. The other problem is that for any given aicraft the most efficient cruise speed varies with weight, drag and altitude--a single figure won't work for all scenarios.

Bottom line: pick a resonable figure that you are comfortable with and don't sweat it too much. :good:

Also keep in mind that the cruise speed value will be applied by the game engine as an indicated air speed, rather than a true air speed value. This may pose a problem at higher altitudes. For example, 257 meters sec /500 knots indicated is well over Mach 1 at 20,000 feet...I doubt that any F-5 variant is capable of super-cruising in RL :yikes:

C5: Yeah i did google it and it came up around 500 knots IRL. But ingame it seems way to high so ill lower it to the f-16 value or lower.

Cheers mates :drinks:

So i took the time to mail the swiss air force since they flew this beautiful aircraft. Anyways, they got back to me with some real info on what kind of cruise speeds they flew the F5 Tiger in.

At low altitude they flew around 400 knots and at high altitude it was mach 0.89. And this is loaded with 2 sidewinders and in some cases with an central droptank.

Edited by xclusiv8

You had a better response than when I e-mailed the Royal New Zealand Air Force for some (non-technical) squadron heraldry information.

You had a better response than when I e-mailed the Royal New Zealand Air Force for some (non-technical) squadron heraldry information.

I was suprised when they got back to me. =) Kudos to the swiss

Anyways, for those interested the cruised speed should be set to 205.78 according to the numberes provided by the swiss airforce.

Talk about going to the source!good.gif