Sign in to follow this  
firehawkordy

Range Time

Got a call yesterday from a friend who said that I should be up and ready early in the AM to go to the local outdoor range. Well It has been ten years since I set foot on a range or fired a weapon of any kind so I was wary of going. Glad I went, even though my eyesight has gotten bad over the last few years I still can put lead on target, did a little skeet for the first time too, easier than I thought it would be. Now I am home with a bruised shoulder and smelling of gunpowder, a good feeling to be honest.

Couple of pics...

9MM Sig

post-825-090206200 1278374169.jpg

Grouping from a Russian bolt action, 100 yards, open sights, bad eyesight :blind:

post-825-099954200 1278374641.jpg

• Like 1

P225?

P225?

Not sure, it was a friends that he got used from the German Police, all I know is that it was as comfortable as my issue P226 and just as accurate.

German Police issue then it was a P225. I have one too. I love it. If you noticed on the side its stamped Made in W. Germany. Mine has that, and they are rare anymore.

smelling of gunpowder, a good feeling to be honest.

I took some black powder guns with me last time we did the range. *crack*poof* and everyone is standing around in a cloud of smoke. Never laughed so hard in my life but yeah it's a good thing! Glad you had a good time.

German Police issue then it was a P225. I have one too. I love it. If you noticed on the side its stamped Made in W. Germany. Mine has that, and they are rare anymore.

Almost anything stating made in West Germany is rare these days, have a punk album by Die Toten Hosen that on the intro states that it was made in WEST Germany.

BTW, that pic of me firing the pistol has already scared the crap out of my baby girls boyfriend.

My dad made a Thompson Center Arms .54 Cal muzzle loader (One of those kits). Dear god can it make a noise. Not to mention the few deer in a full sprint that werent after he hit them with it.

BTW, that pic of me firing the pistol has already scared the crap out of my baby girls boyfriend.

Good.....as it should be. Thus why I have an AR-15 (looks just like my duty M-4) to clean when my twins start dating...if I havent sent them to be nuns somewhere.

Almost anything stating made in West Germany is rare these days, have a punk album by Die Toten Hosen that on the intro states that it was made in WEST Germany.

when i was in Iraq in 04, i was inventorying some extra ammo on my truck prior to goin on convoy. included was a case of AT-4s (anti tank rockets) labeled US ARMY DEPOT BAD SOLLINGBERG WEST GERMANY. asked my CO if he thought they were still good he wasnt sure.

I spent a very enjoyable week of reserve service in the 1980's blowing up out-of-date ordnance. We got tennis elbow from throwing so many grenades - hundreds of the damned things! We got quite artistic with piles of old cordite shell propellant, small arms ammo and C4.

C4 goes all crumbly as the wax desensitising material degrades, but it still goes BANG just a treat. We moulded it into shaped charge strips and blasted our names into granite rocks. We also used it to cook most of our meals that week. It was an amazing mix of range safety and reckless explosive abandon. Happy days.

He should be scared, you're shooting lefty!! *shudder* :grin:

From a tactical point of view I always wondered if that might not be an advantage, say you're naturally a right handed shooter and hold your rifle/carbine accordingly, if you can shoot a sidearm from your left, you can reach for it a little earlier, shoot with a gun in both hands even which would be harder to achieve with the main weapon on your left. I thought that as with martial arts it is very common to hold the longer weapon in the right and a shorter range weapon in the left i.e. spear and short sword, long sword short knife, sword and shield and so on, but not so it seems with a main firearm and sidearmdntknw.gif

Edited by GwynO

it's been a while since your last post kordy

nice shooting there :grin:

last time I was in the range I had only headshots... :cool:

fired of course the M-16A1 (short variant)

Good.....as it should be. Thus why I have an AR-15 (looks just like my duty M-4) to clean when my twins start dating...if I havent sent them to be nuns somewhere. - Dave72

:lmao:

I'm a lefty too. Doesn't help me. :lol:

From a tactical point of view I always wondered if that might not be an advantage, say you're naturally a right handed shooter and hold your rifle/carbine accordingly, if you can shoot a sidearm from your left, you can reach for it a little earlier, shoot with a gun in both hands even which would be harder to achieve with the main weapon on your left. I thought that as with martial arts it is very common to hold the longer weapon in the right and a shorter range weapon in the left i.e. spear and short sword, long sword short knife, sword and shield and so on, but not so it seems with a main firearm and sidearmdntknw.gif

The only real advantage being a lefty has is that growing up back in the day a kid like me would hold their cap guns like their friends, right handed, by the time I got to real fire arms I had become ambidextrous and I can shoot equally well with both hands. This for me means that I don't worry about a disabling injury to me shooting hand, I can switch hands and stance without thinking. I used to use both hands during qualifications in the Navy. Drove the Range Masters nuts. It's the things you don't think about that puts a shooter to disadvantage, opening a door, punching in a code or phone number while holding a pistol, since I learned to use both hands, I still have good control with my weak hand.

To Nesher,

Yes I have be away for a bit, but I only post when I have something worthwhile. Glad you can do the head shots, with my eyesight these days I don't even try. I always train for center of mass hits, might not be an instant kill, but the mother will know his day is f**ked.

The only real advantage being a lefty has is that growing up back in the day a kid like me would hold their cap guns like their friends, right handed, by the time I got to real fire arms I had become ambidextrous and I can shoot equally well with both hands. This for me means that I don't worry about a disabling injury to me shooting hand, I can switch hands and stance without thinking. I used to use both hands during qualifications in the Navy. Drove the Range Masters nuts. It's the things you don't think about that puts a shooter to disadvantage, opening a door, punching in a code or phone number while holding a pistol, since I learned to use both hands, I still have good control with my weak hand.

You'd be good for Filipino Martial Arts, being ambidextrous is instilled in the disciplines, although mostly the closer range stuff is in the left in all the manuals, instructors focus on interchanging sides and stances especially if one is weaker in the student. I was naturally left handed but forced to hold the pen in my right at school, it never really worked as my handwriting is terrible and the pen just feels natural in my left although having been using the right to write for so many years it's hard to switch. Most everything else I do naturally with either hand like I'll move the mouse over to whichever side to make room on the other as required, it's certainly comes in handy now as the nerves on my right hand are mashed up after a nasty injury to one finger cost me the feeling in most of that hand up to the middle of my forearm, i'd probably end up poking my eye out if I tried to pick my nose with it now, so if I was lucky enough to own a gun I would have made sure to buy an ambidextrous model! Sometimes being a natural lefty can be a blessing in disguise good.gif