Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

Does anyone here ride Horses?

My Son has his own Pony..whom he loves dearly.

He is 12 yrs old, and has lessons and goes out on Hacks...summer holidays are long, hot days in the saddle!

Now...I don't know an awful lot about Horse riding, but The American's ride in a totally different way to the Europeans.

The American's look so much more relaxed...and you only have to watch the opening credits of 'The Virginian' to see just how relaxed they are in the saddle, compared to the Brits...who frankly, look like they're sitting on a Cactus!!!

Are saddles in America different to European ones?...or is this the ex-Colonial British Army who are to blame for our 'stiff' riding here?

Replies or clips from Cowboys MOST welcome!! :salute:

Having only ridden saddles over here, I can't comment on the differences between them.

I will say, though, that as comfortable as you are in the saddle, all that changes when you get OFF after an hour or two!

AFAIK (wife & 2 daughters do horsebackriding) in the US & Canada they ride Western style, where you use one hand - the other hand being free for holding a gun for instance -, as compared to the English style where you use two hands on the reigns.

Did both of it during holidays in Canada 2 year ago and I liked the US style better. Takes different sort of training for the horses.

Over here the predominant way is the English one but in a few stables you can ride Western style.

Hou doe,:good:

Derk

Edited by Derk

Cool Info Derk...thank you :drinks:

My preference is bare back, although the missus is not too keen from the safety aspect. (That's not a joke btw although it could be if you ahve a very dirty mind)

Widow,

I am not a serious rider either, but I do know that the one hand thing is accurate, also there are for sure two types of saddles.

Western saddles are large affairs with the stirrups hanging way down the side of a beast, the English saddles are pretty small and light with the stirrups up somewhat higher.

Here's what Wiki says about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_saddle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_saddle

Good Day!!

~Stingray

in the US & Canada they ride Western style, where you use one hand - the other hand being free for holding a gun for instance -,

Forgot one thing.... one hand free of course too for a botlle of beer or booze ........:grin:

Hou doe,

Derk

Well, when inexperienced riders are on the horse you ALWAYS tell them to use both hands.

I also think there's a difference because the Western saddle was designed for long-term occupation while the English one was more short-term, hence its usage in competitions and running and so on.

That saddle horn also makes a convenient place to anchor your rope when hog-tying. :wink:

I also am not a rider, however have grown up around horses and people that ride. The main difference I can see off the top is that the western saddle is a working saddle. Guys using these are working for a living, they can tie all sorts of stuff off of them like ropes, saddlebags, bed roles and gun scabbards. When riding your stirrups should be long enough to allow you to stand (bottom off the seat). They usually have horns also (a hard leather hand hold in the front) though you never use them as a hand hold other than when you are getting on the horse. They are basically there as a tie down. When riding a western saddle it important to sit erect, it gives you more control of the stirrups and is much easier on the back over long distances. They are a lot heavier than an "English Saddle" but they are utilitarian.

When riding and English saddle your knees are tucked up and are used a shock absorbers and the riders tend to lean forward. Around here you see them mainly for showing horses and dressage where the horses is shown off in jumps.

So I guess what the big question is, is your son into riding for fun or does he want to compete and show horses.

Beard

So I guess what the big question is, is your son into riding for fun or does he want to compete and show horses.

Beard

He's still at the Fun stage...but this might change soon, as he get's older.

Great info guys...many thanks