Sign in to follow this  
bruceD

New PC Component suggestions

Ok I have to admit I'm hooked on OFF. My Current PC runs it ok, but I'm looking forward to rebuilding my PC and probably switching over from WinXP to Win7. I've heard that AMD is a great way to go, and also ATI Graphic Cards, but the ATI software always had like 3 parts compared to the 1 of NVidia.

So please let me know what you have and any suggestions. I'm also looking to do this myself, so any suggestions on helpful websites for building and reviews would be greatly appreciated. I've always used TomsHardware, but I'm sure there are others, I've also usually used Gigabyte MB's but I'm open to suggestions.

I also heard OFF has issues with ATI graphic cards. Is this true?

Okay quick one for you after a rather drawn out debacle with Intel chip sets going back 12 years 7 months 5 days... yeah it was messy...

I have always used AMD and ATI video cards as I have found them to be great quality and to be honest a better chipset... I will be replacing my games rig in about 4 months time Chrsitmas present to ME!!! and plan to put in one of the new AMD Xenon chips.

I have had no problems playing OFF granted I play with most settings on 4 and one on 5 as per the advice in a sticky and it has always flown marvellous... apart from said pilot is having a bad ground to air interface... or is weighed down by too much kraut lead, you know that stuff is heavy man...

Anyway my next rig is AMD and ATI and I will not worry at all about it... Thats my advice also remember that its single clock speed that OFF requires...

I've got an ASUS M3A79T Deluxe motherboard with AMD phenom II X" 550 cpu and running win 7 64bit and get a steady 50 - 55 fps and have no stutters. OFF runs great for me.

Oh yes and an ATI 4830 card.

Edited by tranquillo

intel only for me. I always use EVGA motherboards and video cards (nvidia). Never a problem/glitch/complaint, or wish I'd done otherwise. They have a great website with the best tech support you can imagine and all drivers and upgrades available for download. Just like my Dad used to say: "Don't be afraid to buy the very best....... you'll always be happy with it."

BTW. Some of those nvidia settings at http://www.overflandersfields.com/Tips.htm are not up-to-date and not what nvidia users are currently using.

Edited by Winston DoRight

I'm considering - funds allowing - to build a new rig in the next 12 months, so recommendations are pretty useful to me as well.

Given that being on the (b)leading edge of PC technology is invariably a painfully expensive process, what I'm really after are recommendations regarding hardware that isn't white hot technology, but has dropped in price (due to new chipsets, video cards, etc), but which will deliver me a steady, thumping 30-50 fps, and still come in at a reasonable price. I'm thinking about £500 all told for case, RAM, fans (where necessary), mobo, video card, etc.

Can it be done, or will I have to put up with my current 2006 vintage rig for another couple of years?

Cheers,

Si

Thats exactly what I want as well, the brand new cutting edge stuff is crazy expensive.I was looking at AMD CPU's and some of the newer CPU's are very expensive, yet some are very reasonable and perform almost as well. I'm still on the fence about AMD or Intel. AMD looks very good as far as price Vs performance.

Hi BruceD

Seeing as there's another would be OFFer out there asking about specs, I thought I'd bump this for our collective benefit - lets see if we can't come up with a 2010 PC spec that does the job but doesn't f*** the bank account!-

Could we somehow link this to a new thread in the Knowledge Base section? I do see one just started there for Specs needed for new Computer by GHunter, but wasn't sure how this should be handled. I am doing new research to find out a good starting point and I'll put up the picks very soon, probably today. I'm looking into different websites as well, including ExtremeTech, Tomshardware and Tweaktown, If there are any others that are worthwhile please let me know.