Sign in to follow this  
rabu

The Shooting "Twitch"

I've been watching a lot of videos and have noticed that the best shooters, like Hellshade (pay me later, H), seem to have over come the tendency to jerk the stick when firing the MG and they consequently have deadly aim. I know, it just takes practice.. maybe, but that "Twitch" is hard to stop. It also takes dead calm control and the tendency to jump from plane to plane at the wrong time, or to shoot from too far away are also too easy to do.

Do any of you have any comments on this?

Practice/practice/practice. You conciously have to tell yourself to not grip the stick tightly and to not move anything but your trgger finger when you fire. It is a journey to be sure - but will eventually become second nature.

The Bordeauxred Baron:

You von't hav to vorry about any of ziss, Herr Rabu, in a Dsherrmann plane.

Der Dsherrmann fighters hav two 08/15 "Spandaus" vizz 1.000 roundz - so you can twitch,

shoot from long distanz, jump from plane to plane - you vill get zem all down anyway.

Mmuahahahahahahaaaaaa!!!!

Use your throttle to control your time on target. Don't be afraid to cut throttle completely if need be in order to slow your closing rate. I do it all the time. The more time you give yourself to line up your target, the less anxious you will be about doing it quickly before you lose the opportunity. Being over-anxious about missing an opportunity to bring down an EA is what causes most people to over-correct (aside from just plain twitchy flight models for planes like the DR 1). So cut throttle if possible and take your time.

Also, try to avoid situations where you are attempting to "Make a kill before being killed'. If you see you are almost lined up on a target but you know there is an enemy aircraft closing in on your 6, follow the rules and turn to face your attacker and put them on the defensive. Never be afraid to let your primary target escape in order to preserve your life. You'll likely be too anxious to aim properly anyways and not do the damage you would in other circumstances because it's an "all or nothing" type of situation, which tends to be stressful. Basically, it's too hard to aim if you are checking your 6 every 2 seconds.

Choose angles of attack on your target that give you the most time to line them up as well. Obviously a head on attack has the fastest closing rate and so gives you the least amount of time to aim correctly...not to mention the stress of in-coming rounds. Coming in on their 6 buys you the most time. Catching them as they pull up in a climb clearly gives you a nice full "T" target with more chance of hitting something. Diving on them with the throttle cut provides a nice big "T" target as well.

When fighting multiple agile opponents, damage as many of them as possible so they lose the ability to manuever away from your future attacks as easily. Better to fight 6 damaged planes than 4 or 5 whole ones. If they are slow to manuever, then you don't have to worry about hard corrections to get them back into your sights.

Keep repeating to yourself: "As long as I live, I can always make another pass at them so I don't have to destroy them completely on this one. A damaged plane now is a dead plane in the next 2 minutes."

Hope that helps.

Hellshade

Oh and one more thing. If you wait until the plane fills 100% of your view before you press the trigger, you'll hit it 100% of the time. It's the pulling away before you ram him part that gets tricky there. But that's when your twitchy, over-anxious, over-correcting stick movements will more likely work in your favor. right?

Edited by Hellshade

The other alternative, useful for those set in their ways, is to fire your machine gun via the spacebar. If you don't use a HOTAS, that hand is free anyway.

Which bring up an interesting question itself

Can the action of the spacebar, be programed into the X52 ?

The action of any key can be programmed into the X52. The thing to watch for is repeated key presses generated by slider or axis type controls rather than buttons but the X52 programming software allows to set 'bands' thus changing even these to emulate a series of single button presses. I don't use mine as well as I should but it suits my style as I have it at the mo'.

Hellshade wrote:

Keep repeating to yourself: "As long as I live, I can always make another pass at them so I don't have to destroy them completely on this one. A damaged plane now is a dead plane in the next 2 minutes."

In the time it takes me to think through trying to say that to myself even once, (much less repeating it), I will have gotten my tail feathers shredded by the bloody Hun who's crept up on my six during the distraction! While the rest of your advice is quite sound Sir, I believe on this one point I'll stick with what works for me, which usually involves singing "Stayin' Alive" as robustly as I can, whilest dogfighting, (second verse of course, with minor alterations). Helps me focus on what's really important at that moment....

"Well now, I get low and I get high

And if I can't get either I really try.

Got the wings of heaven on my shoes

I'm a flyin' man and I just can't lose.

You know it's all right, it's O.K.

I'll live to see another day.

We can try to understand

The O.F.F. effect on man.

Whether you're a Britzie

Or whether you're a Fritzie,

You're stayin' alive, stayin' alive.

Feel the plane a' breakin'

And ev'rybody shakin'

And we're stayin' alive, stayin' alive.

Ah, ha, ha, ha,

Stayin' alive.

Stayin' alive.

Ah, ha, ha, ha,

Stayin' al-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i a-a-i-i-i-i-i-i-i a-a-i-i-i-i-i-i-i a-a-i-i-i-ive, oh yeah!"

You should give it go, it'll really get you in the mood it will. But I won't be held accountable if you suddenly develope an overwhelming desire to slip into a white satin jumpsuit and watch "Saturday Night Fever". That's your own lookout.

I love the Bee Gees, Lou, so I'm going to try it out. Good advice! :salute:

Hellshade

Stayin' al-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i a-a-i-i-i-i-i-i-i a-a-i-i-i-i-i-i-i a-a-i-i-i-ive, oh yeah!"

You should give it go, it'll really get you in the mood it will. But I won't be held accountable if you suddenly develope an overwhelming desire to slip into a white satin jumpsuit and watch "Saturday Night Fever". That's your own lookout.

Video Please!

You're obviously quite experienced ...and in the interest of helping fellow OFFers

Sacrifices must be made!

erm ...and that wasn't a jump suit

It was a {gag!!!} ...LEISURE SUIT

...and whatever we do, we DON"T want to bring that back, do we??? :rofl:

Hey, whatever it is Duce, if it works for Barry, it'll work for you too...

post-45680-022641700%201278711477.jpg

:biggrin:

Gawd - when they started singing like castrated roosters, I never managed to drink

enough to reach the state were I didn't bother. And I was in the army then!

That's why I don't fly OFF when I'm on the road. Carrying that kinda luggage with you is potentially embarassing!

Hey, whatever it is Duce, if it works for Barry, it'll work for you too...

:biggrin:

Egad! you know not what you're asking for

Besides, there are Laws of Physics that prohibit it woking for me :grin:

"I canna change the laws of physics, Captain!"

They can however be bent, and I say we bend 'em real hard, Duce. Lesiure suits are stretchy for a reason. Let's find out just how much memory that fabric really has! :biggrin:

Dej wrote:

That's why I don't fly OFF when I'm on the road. Carrying that kinda luggage with you is potentially embarassing!

Hmmm, you must stay at different types of hotels than I do Dej. My white satin jump suit has gotten me mistaken for Elvis on more than one occasion. Late career, carbohydrated, bloated Elvis, but Elvis none-the-less, and I still get hit on in the bars because of it. Thank you, thank you very much.

"I canna change the laws of physics, Captain!"

They can however be bent, and I say we bend 'em real hard, Duce. Lesiure suits are stretchy for a reason. Let's find out just how much memory that fabric really has! :biggrin:

And a vise ...I'll need a vise :lol:

You need a vice? Have one of mine Sir, I have plenty. Oh wait, you said "vise".

Well you know, no simulation is worth it's salt without attention to detail, and strict replication of both video AND AUDIO

...and those high notes aren't getting any easier to hit!!! :rofl:

Stay'n Alive... You guys really are trying to break up my marriage, aren't you! bomb.gif

Stay'n Alive... You guys really are trying to break up my marriage, aren't you! bomb.gif

Rabu,

You took the words out of my mouth, I was wondering what RAF_L's wife thinks of his singing, if indeed he is still married?

Thanks

Rugbyfan1972

Rugbyfan1972, I am indeed still married, (hell, I'm so married sometimes it hurts). My wife had me move my flying set-up to a little room at the farthest point in the house from her reading/sewing/relaxation room and even at that I am asked to keep the door closed if I'm going to "play my game so loud".

All kidding aside though, she is honestly a fantastic woman, and what she sees in me that has made her decide I am the one is a mystery. I'm just thankful every day for her.

Cheers!

Lou

Rugbyfan1972, I am indeed still married, (hell, I'm so married sometimes it hurts). My wife had me move my flying set-up to a little room at the farthest point in the house from her reading/sewing/relaxation room and even at that I am asked to keep the door closed if I'm going to "play my game so loud".

All kidding aside though, she is honestly a fantastic woman, and what she sees in me that has made her decide I am the one is a mystery. I'm just thankful every day for her.

Cheers!

Lou

RAF_L,

Sounds like you have a keeper there, I was of course only joking about your singing, you should hear mine, even the woman at the other end of my terrace of 4 houses complains when I sing.

Thanks

Rugbyfan1972

Not to worry Rugbyfan1972, I take offense at very little and can handle a joke as well as anyone, (and dish 'em out just as readily). Life's too important to be taken seriously.