Sign in to follow this  
DukeIronHand

CP monitor shopping...

To all,

My faithful Sony Trinitron 21" CRT, of 10 years, has finally gone down and I need a new monitor. My 12" (or is it 14"?) emergency/temporary replacement monitor ain't cutting it for OFF!

I figured instead of flying blind I would throw this question at the many experts here.

Since I haven't monitor shopped in long years what would be the best replacement?

I care not between CRT and LCD as long as it is a good performer for OFF and other sims. Back in the day when LCD monitors first came out there was talk of a "graphics lag/image smearing" due to the refresh rate(?) of the early LCD's. I assume this is not an issue anymore since (I believe) there are many LCD users here.

Any got a hot tip for a new 21" (or bigger) flat screen CRT or LCD monitor? Cost (within reason) will be an issue I'm afraid. Damn college age children!

Thanks for the link to TigerDirect. Had forgotten about them as I have had much luck buying hardware from Newegg.

Will have to fire up a pot of Joe and do some comparison shopping on both pages.

And it looks you right about CRT monitors at first glance - I guess I was dating myself!

Speaking of monitors what are people's thoughts on the 3D versions that are starting to appear. Seems to me that OFF would be a fantastic game in 3d. Is this something the devs are looking at and is it even possible?

I was looking for a widescreen a few years back, and was shopping based on price and then features. Apparently a number of the bargain types are basically the same monitor and components but in a different case, and sold under different names, so price at the low end is really not a consideration.

All I can say is, after having a number of low end 22" and 24" HannsG LCD monitors crap out on me (thank the gods for Costco's return policy!) I paid a bit more for a Vizio 26" 1080p HDMI and was literally blown away by the quality an extra $100 to $200 made. Night and day.

Go to see the monitors in a store first, like Costco or... write the name/model down that impresses you the most, then shop online. Choose a fast refresh rate (minimum 5 ms, 3 is better) and highest contrast ratio you can find in your budget.

Read a few online articles, education is power.

Edited by Bandy