• Sopwith Strutter
  5. 5. What is your favourite time in WW 1 to fly

• First half 1916
    • Second half 1916
    • First half 1917
    • Second half 1917
    • First half 1918
    • Second half 1918

We had a similar poll, but we may have newbies enough to ask these questions again.

And perhaps, some of you have even changed their likes.

The American flyers please choose among the French and English craft.

In addition to the above poll, I have some more questions, which you may copy and paste into

your posts,and answer them there.

ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS

1. Which Nationality do you fly mostly ?

2. What is your favourite Squadron / Jasta / Escadrille to fly with ?

3. Why did you choose that Squadron / Jasta / Escadrille as your favourite ?

4. What is your favourite airfield landscape-wise (the most beautiful surrounding/area ? Perhaps you can add a screenshot of that field).

Edited by Olham

German and French

FA(A) 250 (obviously!), Jasta 10, RFC 60, Escadrille 65, 13th Aero

DiD campaign and the great DFW for FA(A) 250; skins, quality of pilots, aircraft and action for the rest (13th ain't that good, but they got the Grim Reaper SPADs!)

4. What is your favourite airfield landscape-wise (the most beautiful surrounding/area ? Perhaps you can add a screenshot of that field).

No particular airfield, but I like the mountains of Alsace. (below)

SPADinAlsace.jpg

Hasse Wind, I have edited the poll, so one can click more than one option.

You may find it possible to delete your vote, and vote again.

I'd have chosen the Pfalz D.III for my Jasta 10 careers, but it doesn't appear in your poll, Olham. Remember that the Pfalz has now a better FM than in the beginning of P3, and is a very nice fighter, but many people are afraid of it because of bad early experiences. :cool:

Crapp - I AM A BLOCKHEAD.

In the first text designs, I had it in - then I forgot to paste it in. Look there now.

1. Which Nationality do you fly mostly ? Germany

2. What is your favourite Squadron / Jasta / Escadrille to fly with ? jasta 5

3. Why did you choose that Squadron / Jasta / Escadrille as your favourite ? because they are not jasta 2 or 11 and no part of JG1. jasta 5 is nonetheless a famous squadron. i also like to fly for other "unknown" squadrons. i consider myself a normal pilot among other normal pilots. so i like to fly for normal jastas. :salute: .

4. What is your favourite airfield landscape-wise (the most beautiful surrounding/area ? Perhaps you can add a screenshot of that field). the airfield at mariakerke. it's right at Ghent, so the airfield is right next to the big town.

Creaghorn: i consider myself a normal pilot among other normal pilots. so i like to fly for normal jastas.

Good point - I often do that too; and pick Jasta 21 then, or Jasta 17 with Julius Buckler.

I bounce around these days between various plans and squadrons so I can get different videos of various types of planes over a range of locations. It's forcing me to try and learn to fly planes that I never spent much attention to though. I'm trying to learn the Sopwith Camel (and failing miserably), but I am learning to see the strengths of the Spad VII and XIII, despite the very limited field of view. Energy attack fighting is totally different from the turn fighting tactics I'm used too but clearly has it's advantages. I also just started a Jasta 1 pilot flying a Albatros DII. Not as fast or as agile as an Entente N-16 it seems, but still makes for truly exciting fighting! I can see why you enjoy the Albatros line, Olham. They have a good field of view and of course, those lovely pair of MGs to enhance the killing power. I expect to spend some time in each of them.

As to your questions, I seem to prefer the British most, then Germans, US and finally French. I have no favorite home airfield or squadron. In fact I don't even remember where most of them have been I have to change them so often. For me it's whatever gets me into the action quickest so I can film a story. After a few test flights of a D II though, I expect I'll be making a few videos of some more early war campaign action. I am impressed with her flight characteristics.

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

I don't get much stick time these days at all but when I do I'll always favour the RNAS with the British, except for getting some SE5 action with No. 56. On the occasional German-side foray, again, I fly almost exclusively with one of the MFJs.

Scenery-wise, as you might deduce, I like being at the coast, partly for the view, partly because dogfights over the sea have an extra 'je ne sais quoi', pour moi.

Hellshade: I also just started a Jasta 1 pilot flying a Albatros DII. Not as fast or as agile as an Entente N-16 it seems, but still makes for truly exciting fighting!

The Albatros D.II is given a max. speed of 175 km/h over at the aerodrome; the Nieuport Ni 17 is given 170 km/h.

Dej, I also like to fly at the north sea, as it reminds me of Ostfriesland, my home.

And when I fly British side, RNAS is a good choice; I like the Pup, and especially the Triplane.moz-screenshot-1.png

:blink: Which Nationality do you fly mostly ? French, English , German

2. What is your favourite Squadron / Jasta / Escadrille to fly with ? Low number Esc and Jasta s , Sq

Alsace. :grin::bye:

:drinks: I was wondering who has flown all the flyable aircraft in OFF with full settings, ie, Wind= on Stress = on ect. ?:salute:

ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS

1. German

2. No favorite German squad, I fly Jastas 6, 11, 28w, and 35 mostly

I'm currently flying with MFJ 1 on the coast but they're elitist poacher hounds and are gettoing on my nerves

My favorite Brit unit is 74 Squad flying Se5a Vipers

3. I I choose squads based on how long they stay near the coast and look for an average or good unit

4. Like Dej, I like missions that fly over the water

I've based my answers on my current pilots - six in total.

I have an RNAS 10 pilot who's spent plenty of time in Camels (God I hate them) but I still have more time in the Tripehound. I have an SE5a pilot who I barely activate, RFC this time.

My remaining pilots are more representative of my commitment, perhaps. I have a BE2c pilot who, miraculously is still alive after many months - probably helped by choosing the earliest enlistment date I could have in 1915 - so I will be nurturing him until his probable demise at the hands of a Fokker jockey. If he survives, however, I think his mob end up in Biffs, at which point rewengey is mine!!

My current Hun is stuck in Alb DIIs, late in 1917, and every flight is very iffy in terms of survival. I'm hoping they get DIIIs soon. My current French pilot is, to my surprise, doing rather well in his N17 and I'm thinking of giving him much more stick time, if only to see Alsace more often. Finally, I have an American pilot in March 1918, who is cursed with a N28, possibly the least forgiving and usable of the 1918 scouts. I've managed one kill, but I think I've already written off about three Nieuports to get there.

My all time fave is undoubtedly, though, late 1916 and into 1917, as I'm a massive fan of Arthur Gould Lee's writing, and 46 squadron RFC, with Pups - probably my favourite scout - is where I feel most at home. Unfortunately, it's also where I get shot down and killed most habitually, so feel free to draw conclusions as to my unsuitability as a scout pilot...

D'you know, I think I hear my observer at the tent flap? Time to take up the old BE again.

Cheers,

Si

Hi Olham

I couldn’t vote because you must vote in every question and I have never flown any allied aircraft. :wink:

Could you perhaps ad "None" to those questions?

ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS

1. Always German.
  2. No favourite Jasta yet.
  3. I usually try different Jastas after these criteria’s: available aircraft types, suitable date to enlist, how far from the front their airfield is, their skill level and if they have an offensive or defensive role.
  4. No favourite airfield yet, but the picture Hasse posted looked very nice.

Cheers

:drinks:

vonOben

Good point, vonOben - additional choice is added now.

There are some beautiful environments for some airfields, and I had hoped to see more

of them by screenshots.

So I'm still searching for one field north or north east of Amiens. I once did some Camel

testing from there - a very beautiful hilly landscape.

Edited by Olham

tranquillo, make sure you click at least one option in EACH of the questions.

If it still doesn't work, I don't know.

Edited by Olham

tranquillo, make sure you click at least one option in EACH of the questions.

If it still doesn't work, I don't know.

cool :good:.

"What are you flying mostly?"

This is one of my long-time preferred mounts, in the traditional early RFC CDL finish of course:

OFF_favorite_thing_to_fly_01.jpg

You couple that bus with the classic pint-sized, liquid-filled, dimpled-glass joystick and you'll be hard-pressed to find a nicer flying set-up.

:grin:

Take care of yourself, mate - that pilot's seat don't have no loop belts!