Sign in to follow this  
ace888

Is this a good computer setup?

I thought I ask more questions since I received good information from the community.

The following is my plan "new" machine:

Intel Core i7-875K 2.93GHz 8M (OC by 10%, part of cyberpowercomputer auto setup) so it will be around 3.2 GHz.

Asus P755D-E Pro DDR3, USB 3.0 SATA III, etc...

4GB DDR3/1600MHz Corsair

ATI 5770 1GB GDDR5 16xPCIe

1TB SATA-III 6.0GB/s 64MB cache 7200RPM Hard-drive

Asetek 570LX Liquid Cooling w/240MM radiator/dual fans (OC)

ThermalTake Toughpower XT (TPX-775M, 775 Watts power supply

Samsung SH-BO 83L 8x Blue Ray/ DVDRW Combo

Window 7 64-Bit

Plus several other items = $1399 without tax and shipping

Please provide inputs as to whether this is a good setup?

Thanks

drinks.gifIts good,but if u hv s big pocket then try purchasing a HD 5900 series card,for playing games at ultra high,aldo if u can buy a 1000watt psu.incase you go to upgrade ur gfx in future,but modern cards arent very power hungry,so i think it would be gud,however if u can then ........

If you want the best built and most dependable PSU now available for home PC get the 750Watt Seasonic X750 Gold. Everything in your build will depend on your power supply working great. Think of PSU like the engine on an airplane. Its the core of every computer.

Google the hardware reviews on this item. I have one and was planning on getting another for another build, but I'm waiting to see the new Seasonic gold PSU's that were shown at Computex trade show in Taiwan this summer. They are very interesting indeed. Seasonic is the builder of the interior of high end PSU's for some other brands, like Corsair, so I just goto the source so to speak. I've read that other brands often substitute cheaper fans on their high quality Seasonic built interiors. But, czech out the hardware forums for this though.

Your selection of ATI 5770 shows you don't want to overspend on a gaming supercard, although you are going Intel i-7 with watercooling. Something doesn't match here. If you are not sure about what gaming supercard to get, just get a "budget" 4850 to start with. If you upgrade later, you will have lost only pennies with zero risk as the 4850 are so well priced now for performance and have a solid history behind them. I think the 5000 series is extremely overpriced right now with little performance advantage except possibly in some DX11 games. I suggest a Gigabyte HD4850 although there are others.

I have a HD 5850 and I think it's great. Does DX11 and blows away almost everything else without breaking the bank, but it isn't a bargain card.

However, it's easier to swap out a video card than a CPU, so if you can't swing both right now get the better CPU and a lower end video card and upgrade it later when you can afford it.

I assume if youre going to water cooling it's because you want to overclock. But even that it only justifies if you're going to do an "extreme overclock", otherwise you can go to some air solutions which can be cheaper. But I really don't know how much it costs that cooler.

I wouldn't go for Corsair memories. They have a large RMA statistic, as far as I know, compare with other brands, like Kingston for example. At least that's what my dealers usually tell me. I'd go for OCZ or GSkill. I've a pair of 2000Mhz GSkill, and I'm quite happy with them.

Seasonic is a good PSU lile Lexx said; Thermaltake, usually, are also good as well.

I'd go for a 5850. The advise from JediMaster, regarding the CPU, sounds well.

Edited by Von Paulus

Thank you again guys

For the water cooling, it came as a FREE upgrade.

The 10% OC on the CPU is also part of the deal, FREE of charge (or maybe they charge people in the price already?). Read that the NEW Core i7-880 is coming very soon and will cost about the same as the 870 series; would love to wait on it but I think the difference is small and I would never notice it.

The PSU, I do not have a lot of choices on PSU. Cyberpowercomputer has their own, Corsair, ThermalTake, Sion, CoolerMaster, SilverStone, Ultra, Apevia, XtremeGear... NO Seasonic. Looking at PSU with 80%+ efficiency, ATI/SLI/80 Plus Bronz certification and 12V rail. Will be looking at a good PSU before ordering.

Game card - I wanted the ATI 5870 but due to budget I thought a 5770 would last me a long time and not think about upgrades for a while.

Edited by ace888

The 10% OC on the CPU is also part of the deal, FREE of charge (or maybe they charge people in the price already?). Read that the NEW Core i7-880 is coming very soon and will cost about the same as the 870 series; would love to wait on it but I think the difference is small and I would never notice it.

I think you can go easyly to 20%. As far as I know there is no much difference between I7-880 and the one you chose. if the price difference is above $50 I wouldn't go for it. Can't you ask them if they can't OC to 20% instead for 10%?

The PSU, I do not have a lot of choices on PSU. Cyberpowercomputer has their own, Corsair, ThermalTake, Sion, CoolerMaster, SilverStone, Ultra, Apevia, XtremeGear... NO Seasonic. Looking at PSU with 80%+ efficiency, ATI/SLI/80 Plus Bronz certification and 12V rail. Will be looking at a good PSU before ordering.

Corsair, Thermaltake, Coolermaster, these are brands that I use, they have a certain quality build. AFAIK, the HX series from Corsair are Seasonic made.

Game card - I wanted the ATI 5870 but due to budget I thought a 5770 would last me a long time and not think about upgrades for a while.

If you don't pretend to upgrade in the near future, than go for at least 5850. Otherwise you'll be bottlenecked for a long time.

Thank you again guys

For the water cooling, it came as a FREE upgrade.

You need to change the liquid every year from my research. Have a cyberpower system too and love it. Although be warned usb 2.0 ports died on me twice. Wish I gone air cooled though (do my disability, can't replace the liquid coolant).

Falcon

You need to change the liquid every year from my research.

Not all systems, FalconC45. For example the Corsair H50 don't need to be refilled. In fact there's no way to do it.

Well this free liquid cooling system is for the cpu and its from coolermaster. It still kinda cools it (I don't do overclocking though, the reason I got it is that my living room gets REAL hot in the summer, even when the AC is on. So I thought a liquid cooling system will help some.)

Falcon

seeing the high end machine it is, just put another 100$ in and get a HD5870 instead the HD5770.