Sign in to follow this  
serverandenforcer

This... is lame

So, yesterday, I go into take my 7 level test. However, I'm going in on my off time, so I call up wing training to find out if I still need to be in uniform. They say no, of course not, I can come in wearing civies. So I say cool! I show up an hour early at my unit to take few practice tests to get the material real fresh in my head. Our training manager sees me and asks why I'm not in uniform for the test. I explain to him what wing training told me. He tells me differently and to get in uniform. I do so without issue and arrive early for the test in uniform. I pass it and give the paper work to my unit training manager. The first thing he says to me is that he notified my supervisor, flight chief, and the operations manager of our unit that I had showed up for the test out of uniform. I don't argue with him on it but say ok and leave. Well apparently, he made it such an issue, despite the fact that I had indeed changed into uniform and still arrived early for the test, that the operations manager is ordering my flight chief who now has to direct my element leader to issue me my first LOC, and I don't have a single UIF in my file. On top of that, they're changing out my supervisor, who I happened to be really good friends with. Apparently it is squadron policy to always show up to appointments in uniform, even off duty... which nobody had ever told me of, nor was I reminded about it for this appointment. So I'm really bummed out on this crap and feel like nobody really stepped up for me on this. My supervisor is pissed with how they're handling it. I only find out form the flight chief that they will try to make the LOC disappear so it doesn't even go into my file, but this whole is being done because of that training manager. I even asked my flight chief if there have been any past issues with me that would warant the need for me to have an LOC issued. He said no, but his hands are kind of tied on this, but wanted me to not worry about it and that he will try to get this swept clear. However, he stated the supervisor change was needed because me and my sup are too good of friends for him to be my supervisor. I guess I should've bitched about him more.

As a military member I can relate. There will always be someone who makes it his or her agenda to enforce the rules with an iron fist, no matter what the circumstance. I don't know what service you are in or what a UIF is, but I think an LOC is a Letter Of Counseling. If this is the case, then it is probably like the USCG's Page 3307 (Negative), which is just an entry that serves as documentation for a later issue, and only if the issue of of the same nature. Saying that you have never had one is about like saying that you have never gotten a speeding ticket: it's only a matter of time until the law gets you, right or wrong-ish, and it isn't a huge deal.

I have been in 14 years and have seen every mission and mentality that go with them in the Coast Guard. You can read your post and if you are in the military you can think of some incident where the enforcer of rule number whatever went ape sh*t over the tiniest detail. It will always be unfair, and it's because there is always someone higher than you who is in the right; ie, you said your boss is your friend right? Maybe the ultra boss is this guy's friend. It happens, and move on and don't sweat it. Revel in the fact that he is a douche bag and you aren't!!

Oh, and I am not allowed to say that. It's now vagina bag. Yep, at my station we can't say douche bag, as per the Commanding Officer. One more thing, always assume that you need to be in uniform, that way it isn't an issue. "yeah" can be "Nah" when asked if I gave permission, um, which one did you want to hear so I don't get hollered at? If you are told flat out that you don't have to be in uniform then cool, but if no one tells you this piece of info then go in uniform and avoid the BS, which you have just experienced.

One more thing, always assume that you need to be in uniform, that way it isn't an issue. "yeah" can be "Nah" when asked if I gave permission, um, which one did you want to hear so I don't get hollered at? If you are told flat out that you don't have to be in uniform then cool, but if no one tells you this piece of info then go in uniform and avoid the BS, which you have just experienced.

Yeah, I sure learned that lesson today. Funny thing is, I brought my uniform with me just incase lol.

What friggin BS. You got screwed my friend, pure and simple. Some guy with his own private fiefdom decided to exert his power for the hell of it.

FC

Yep, and I when I tried to contest the issue with my element leader, his response to me was to stop crying about it like a little girl and just take it. First thing I'm going to do with whatever new supervisor I get is make a request to transfer out of the unit. Like you said FC, this is BS!

So, yesterday, I go into take my 7 level test. However, I'm going in on my off time, so I call up wing training to find out if I still need to be in uniform. They say no, of course not, I can come in wearing civies. So I say cool! I show up an hour early at my unit to take few practice tests to get the material real fresh in my head. Our training manager sees me and asks why I'm not in uniform for the test. I explain to him what wing training told me. He tells me differently and to get in uniform. I do so without issue and arrive early for the test in uniform. I pass it and give the paper work to my unit training manager. The first thing he says to me is that he notified my supervisor, flight chief, and the operations manager of our unit that I had showed up for the test out of uniform. I don't argue with him on it but say ok and leave. Well apparently, he made it such an issue, despite the fact that I had indeed changed into uniform and still arrived early for the test, that the operations manager is ordering my flight chief who now has to direct my element leader to issue me my first LOC, and I don't have a single UIF in my file. On top of that, they're changing out my supervisor, who I happened to be really good friends with. Apparently it is squadron policy to always show up to appointments in uniform, even off duty... which nobody had ever told me of, nor was I reminded about it for this appointment. So I'm really bummed out on this crap and feel like nobody really stepped up for me on this. My supervisor is pissed with how they're handling it. I only find out form the flight chief that they will try to make the LOC disappear so it doesn't even go into my file, but this whole is being done because of that training manager. I even asked my flight chief if there have been any past issues with me that would warant the need for me to have an LOC issued. He said no, but his hands are kind of tied on this, but wanted me to not worry about it and that he will try to get this swept clear. However, he stated the supervisor change was needed because me and my sup are too good of friends for him to be my supervisor. I guess I should've bitched about him more.

...Been there, done that, my friend. I'm sorry about that.

That sucks...

STAY UP THOUGH! :good:

SidDogg

There are little Hitlers everywhere........:mad:

Hou doe,

Derk

Tell that douche bag Traning Manager that I said he's as douche. Dont forget to add the "With all due respect, sir" :grin:

Solution to the problem......... Join the Army! :grin:We do not take tests for promotion! Just kick azz on your PT test, shoot expert, be a stud at your promotion board, complete military education courses, and demonstrate leadership potential and bam you are an E6! Well, it is a little more complicated than that, but in my previous world if some pouge azz training dude tried to dime one of my Joe's out for something stupid like that I would go eat his heart for lunch. Random NCO's writing counseling statements on other NCO's Joes just does not float in the Army. I lived on an Air Force base for two years. I was really suprised at the differences between the two services. They have different concepts of discipline and bearing. Case in point, when I saw Airmen with their PT shirts untucked I almost lost my mind. I remember Joe's getting smoked for the wrong PT socks. My USAF MSG neighbor explained to me that they had no requirement to tuck the shirt. The Sir thing kind of bothered me also. When I was in uniform I got Sir'ed to death. Kind of made me laugh! On the other hand any old USAF dude with a plethora of stripes pointing up I just called Sergeant Major, so I guess it works both ways. The whole USAF 1SG thing is kind of confusing also but that is another story. For two services that share a common origin it is suprising how they have diverged from one another. Atleast your rank is not what job you do! Good job Navy! :salute: Hang in there tiger it won't come to anything hopefully someone will detect the Toolbagism.

Well, apparently there won't be any LOC. I guess they're trying to make the whole thing disappear because its a bunch of bull. Don't know if the decision for this os because some additional information that benefited me came to light or because I threatened to go to the commander on this. Either way, I'm not signing any paper work... so far.

Assholes with little-man syndrome in the military are one of the reason I left.