Sign in to follow this  
michael82

Making the best of MiG-21

The Russians do have a tendency of making flying miracles!But thats it...the fire control and the actual weapons suck.

This Egyptian is realy crazy :salute: and MiG-21 Bis whith 0.84 thrust /weight ratio and up to 6 IRM is very dangerous opponent at close combat:drinks:

The MiG-21bis had a special afterburner regime for dogfights below 4.000 meters that gave a thrust of 95kN. (Usable for 4 or 5 minutes then the engine overheats)

With this regime the MiG-21bis has a thrust to weight ratio >1 and can hold its own against the F-16 in the vertical fight.

But if you has the chance to take a seat in a MiG-21 you will see how small this plane is and how had the view.

wow great document... I hope this can be used to mod. the FM of all the mig-21's in the game :)

I have spoken with ex east german MiG-21 pilots and they have certain doubts about the truth of this document.

From below article it appears that 21 can still hold its own in dogfight:

:salute: Thanks for this artical!

BTW:Are you luca in forum.keypublishing.co.uk?

I personaly do not like MiG-21 looking aircraft but it seems it has important low speed lift and pitch pointing potential, that is not in the manuals, but can be useful to operators.

I do not see tremendous thrust/weight since AB thrust increases in all engines, depending on engine cycle and control system. With half fuel and AAMs max SL climb rate is 225 m/s, not more!

I do not know what German pilots doubt? '67. event what Egyptian incidentally demonstrated or what US Aggressor regularly have been doing ?

For modifying 21 game one need to know trimmed Lift, I hope that can be find in MiG-21 books.

Nice JL-9 drawings, thanks.

I do not know what German pilots doubt? '73. event what Egyptian incidentally demonstrated or what US Aggressor regularly have been doing ?

Edited by michael82