Sign in to follow this  
Skyviper

I'm looking to buy a movie and can't make my mind up

I like them both and can't make mind up.  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which one should I get?

• War of the Worlds(Tom Cruise)
    • Bad Boys 1(Will Smith and Martin Lawrence)
    • Other(Category action/comedy/sci fi please)

:help:I need to renew my CA membership however CA fees are apart of entertainment budget. When all is said and done I'll have just enough to get one new movie and It down to these two...unless you are kind enough to recommend something better that happens to belong to the action, comedy, or sci fi genres. :dntknw:

Thanks guys/gals

Bad boys bad boys

Watcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do

when they come for you

really i hated war of the worlds.

Bad Boys is a way better!

Any movie from the Die hard series (but specially the first one).

wanna really watch one of the best movies of the last 10 years?

Shutter Island

i swear you.. that movie just drove me crazy.

I voted other as you can find some really uplifting bargains if you look around the big stores. I found a box set of Alien, Aliens, Alien 3, Alien Resurrection, Predator, Predator 2, AVP, and AVP 2, all the discs have director's cut or theatrical where available and bonus features.. price? £10 at HMV!! Now that was a bargain!

I just bought Predator and AvP1 on Bluray at Walmart for $25 total. The Alien 4-film set comes out on BD 10/26, so mark your calendars!

Anyway, it's hard to recommend not knowing what you already have. As mentioned, the Alien and Predator franchises have made some great flicks. Same with Terminator, Back to the Future, Transformers, Men in Black, Star Trek, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park, Lord of the Rings, Pirates of the Carribbean, Spiderman, Batman, Tom Clancy films, Riddick, Matrix, and the Roland Emmerich films (Independence Day, Stargate, et al).

As the owner of several rooms' worth of DVDs and BDs, I can't even begin to think of a single one without thinking of 5 others. :grin:

I just bought Predator and AvP1 on Bluray at Walmart for $25 total. The Alien 4-film set comes out on BD 10/26, so mark your calendars!

Anyway, it's hard to recommend not knowing what you already have. As mentioned, the Alien and Predator franchises have made some great flicks. Same with Terminator, Back to the Future, Transformers, Men in Black, Star Trek, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park, Lord of the Rings, Pirates of the Carribbean, Spiderman, Batman, Tom Clancy films, Riddick, Matrix, and the Roland Emmerich films (Independence Day, Stargate, et al).

As the owner of several rooms' worth of DVDs and BDs, I can't even begin to think of a single one without thinking of 5 others. :grin:

I saw predator one...awesome.

What's up with predator two with Danny Glover? I saw a portion of it on TV and all I remember is some scene with a lollipop and danny walking down a street or something...the rest, to me, was so akward that I can't even remember it. And I never really wanted to catch it from the begging again either because of what I saw. Can you fill me in?

Basically, it's a Predator hunting gang members in LA during a fictional future (which is now the past anyway!) when they've mostly overrun parts of the city with their turf wars. Gary Busey is Mr Govt Man that shows up (with Adam Baldwin in a small role as one of his men) trying to take it captive to learn about the technology while Danny just wants it dead or gone since he's like 15 seconds away from retirement or whatever. Or is that a different film? Anyway, it pretty much follows the pattern of the first film with govt guys and cops as well as gang bangers being offed in various nasty ways around the city until at the end Danny kills him, as expected, but the wrist device is damaged so no self-destruct to take out half the city. Then he finds its ship where a whole group of other Predators shows up, gives him an old pistol from the 1700s or something to show they've been visiting earth for a long time, then they leave taking the corpse with them.

It's exactly as Jedi says. The first time I saw this I was very young and remember it as a great film, although I hardly remembered it I watched it many years later as a teen and decided it was an appalling hash of a film, another example of a poorly thought out, poorly executed sequel to cash in off the back of the original. It was with some trepidation then, that I gently placed the disc into my PS2 to watch it again as an almost thirty something and was astounded to find that I now actually prefer the sequel to the first, maybe it's the nostalgia of looking back at what people expected the future to be in the 90s, like Robocop, for years the very thought of those films have brought a little sick into my mouth but now I think I might actually enjoy them again. Give it a shot and see what you think, I can promise you it's nothing like Robocop! In fact I think they got the ambience of the late 90s bang on, except there weren't real predators around, or were there?

AVP2 though.. well I just hope 10 years will be enough time to lessen that films ability to induce acid reflux, it's like some ritalin addled teenagers mindscape, really disappointing and totally unbelievable.. then again I thought that about Predator 2 once upon a time so time will tell.

Edited by GwynO

I thought that Predator 2 was pretty good when I first saw it. It's a lot like the very first Dark Horse comics spin off from the first movie, except that it's set in New York instead of LA and the 'Danny Glover' character was actually the brother of 'Dutch' played by Arnie in the original movie.

http://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/91-346/Predator-1

For me the best bit about the movie was the trophy room on the predator's ship and the very familiar skull on the wall.....

Yup, and that was one of the things that led to the 2 AvP films...I wish the 2nd had never happened. If I ever get a time machine...

I have a 2nd suggestion:

"Enemy At The Gates" or "Das Boot".

If you are looking for some fall off the chair laughter in your adventure movie:

"Army of Darkness"

I have a 2nd suggestion:

"Enemy At The Gates" or "Das Boot".

If you are looking for some fall off the chair laughter in your adventure movie:

"Army of Darkness"

"Enemy at the Gates" is a good movie but the ending was...non climaxic at best.

Falcon