Sign in to follow this  
nbryant

Maps

I have been searching for a reasonable set of maps to use that I can navigate from in place of the in-game ones. Those posted here are fine but don't cover the entire front. Anyone find any good links?

I found this:

http://www.maps.com/map.aspx?pid=15709

You cant DL it, but it is very much the type I was looking for.

That is a very great map you found there, nbryant, and I'm wondering if I should order it!

I zoomed in and only then I saw how much detail it has!

You saw those maps in the dowload section?

Rabu had made a set of single maps, and RAF_Louvert "glued them together" and placed the airfield names,

as far as I remember. I also did a version, but only from Lens (N) to Laon (S).

PS: Your signature line suggests, that you might be a military veteran.

As such, you may be particularly interested in the WW1 maps & aerial photography of the

McMaster University, Canada.

Click on "Maps", then on the scale you prefer, and you'll find tons of historical trench maps there.

http://library.mcmaster.ca/maps/ww1/home.htm

20 years in the US Marine Corps Olham...... and that was a lifetime ago. Thanks for the additional link, will check it out. I also agree with the detail of the map. I have been wanting to take a page from RAF and use an external map to navigate with to add another layer of immersion. I have been searching trying to find sectionals that would cover all of the front so that no matter what unit I signed on with I could continue playing the same way. I have founds bits and pieces here and there, some detailed, most not. What would be amazing would be to incorporate a map like that into the games map option with the same zoom and scroll capability, just with the addition of the floating front and waypoints.

Well, the McMaster trench maps are not like that - you should order the map you found;

it's not too expensive I think.

The war maps from McMaster (originals, scanned 1:1) are more for the military man;

it gave me a deep and thrilling touch, some goose skin, when I discovered trench names

like "Curry Alley" or "Chutney Alley", written into the map from hand by someone, who might

have fallen later. These maps bring the scenery of trench warfare closer to mind.

nbryant, let me start by throwing you a heartfelt salute for your years of military service. Your dedication and sacrifice are truly appreciated Sir.

Now, as to maps, I have an original of the 1918 NGS map you have noted in your link, and it is an excellent piece. You could purchase a paper copy of that map, or you could download a copy and use it via your computer, (or print it out from there). You could also use a free program such as HyperSnap to grab the highly detailed clips via the link you posted, (also available BTW at Nat Geo's website). After you have the clips you need you can then assemble them using an editor such as Paint.NET, (another free download). I highly recommend using an out-of-sim map because it really takes flying and navigating the missions to a whole new level of immersion. Also, as mentioned by Olham, rabu has a good set available in the OFF downloads, and I have made use of them myself many times.

Here is a link to a free download of the 1918 NGS map: Nat Geo Map Pack 7

The quality of the scan in this download is good, but not as crisp as what you could grab as clips from the viewer in the link you posted. Best of luck nbryant, and if you have any questions about using outside maps with OFF feel free to ask. I'll help if I can.

Cheers!

Lou

Hi, Nbryant:

What a surprise to see that again. I scanned this map back in 2006 when I was working with Hugh Baldwin to put together the maps that are now available for download.. Here was my email to Hugh back then:

I just scanned a rather large map of the western front that was an insert in a May 1918 National Geographic magazine I found on Ebay. Took me 16 scans to cover the whole thing! 27" x 31" 7.25 miles/inch. The map was almost gone, very thin velum type paper and many creases, a few tears, etc. Great map though. Interesting, back then, the National Geographic announces on the cover the map is included, but no article or anything inside, just the map. The whole issue is on "Smaller North American Mammals" Lots of great old ads from 1918.. ever hear of a luxury sedan named the Marmon 34?

Well Rabu thanks go out to you for having played a role in saving a piece of history.

nbryant and All,

I had some time this morning so I took about 120 screen capture clips of the 1918 NGS Western Front map and assembled them into a very high quality JPEG copy. I also cleaned up a couple of spots on the original map scan, and I am posting a download link to a RAR of the finished item here:

NGS 1918 Western Front Map

This is a VERY large image, (about 7000 x 6000), so just be aware of that when you are downloading it and unpacking it.

Cheers!

Lou

Wonderful service, Lou! Thanks a lot! Downloaded!

You are more than welcome Olham, and I hope it will prove useful to you.

Lou, you have gone above and beyond and passing on my appreciation does not reflect my appreciation for your taking the time to complete this.

Thanks you sir.....

Nolan

Edited by nbryant