Sign in to follow this  
Skyviper

What's Your Favoriate plane?

Sorry about the sexiest plane ever thing. Yeah the list was really FUBAR and hind site 20/20 it was a dumb idea. But I wish to make amends:sorry: .

What's your favoriate aircraft and what are some of its unique qualities?

Mine is the F-14(obviously)

flickr-2566008214-image.jpg

I like because she can(could, sorry) engage multiple targets at different speeds and altitudes at the same time

Skyhawk - Minimizes size, weight, and complexity. 2 20mm cannons, variety of bombs, rockets, and missiles, tough and agile. Easy maintenance, and can land on almost any size carrier. I call it the "Swiss Army Knife" of military a/c.

post-201-016773300 1279421533.jpeg

Sorry about the sexiest plane ever thing. Yeah the list was really FUBAR and hind site 20/20 it was a dumb idea. But I wish to make amends:sorry: .

What's your favoriate aircraft and what are some of its unique qualities?

Mine is the F-14(obviously)

I like because she can(could, sorry) engage multiple targets at different speeds and altitudes at the same time

that's the best photo in the thread!

I don't really have a favorite plane, I'm not sure I even have one for a given era (like WWII or Nam). I will say though that having seen Top Gun in my younger days I'll always like the F-14.

By the way folks(I just found the name of the one that came up with this idea) Uk_Widomaker...I give credit where credit is due...sorry for the tardiness UK_Widomaker.

UK_Widomaker suggested in another thread that instead of polling on the sexiest plane ever we should say what's our favorate plane(s) and without the poll option.

When I was little I saw four this babbies fly over my house....I was so little I thought we were under attack acutally...I just and I mean just finished watching a show about them when they flew over. Either four or eight I can't remember but they were really low. Still a cool experience.

cobra3.jpg

That's a twin-engined model, my guess is you saw the single-engined version.

Unless you were little only like 5 years ago, that is! :grin:

ah-1_iaf_0003.jpg

Yup single engine ones. I also remember two F-14's flying low over my house too, and some years later a pair Chinooks flew overhead and shook every freakin thing in the house....awesome.

but not these the ones I saw were solid green...can't remember any of the markings.

Edited by Skyviper

Actually, twins have been around almost as long as the single engines by the same users of the current twins: USMC AH-1J Sea Cobras.

But the AH-1T+ -> AH-1W -> AH-1Z is an entirely different beast in terms of engines, rotors, dimensions, armor, weapons systems. Besides performance/load, I love the twins because they retained the original round canopy glass, which looks much better to me than the US Army's flat plate glass.

But to get back on topic, it is very hard for me to narrow my list of favorite airplanes to just one. The first airplane model I ever built is certainly in my top 5 and maybe number one: the B-17G. The next major model airplane I wanted and got was an F-4E because that is what the Thunderbirds were flying at the time. With the appearance of Baa Baa Black Sheep, the F4U Corsair became one of my favorites. Along the way, the P-51D, XB-70, F-15A, F-105D, C-5A, and UH-1D joined my group of favorites... but still, my most memorable models were my Monogram 1/48 B-17G and my Revell 1/32 F-4E. They were big and beautiful. Based on the fact that I fly F-4s a lot more than B-17s in PC flight sims, I would have to go with the F-4E as my all time favoirte.

Edited by streakeagle

FW-190D "The Butcher Bird".

Spitfire for me - Mk XIV especially. I know that's so predictable it's trite. I still love it.

I'll say an F-16