Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Dayton Air Show 2010

18.jpg

Yesterday I ventured out to the Dayton Airshow. I went 2 years ago and so it was time to go back. I met Fracture there and we walked around for hours in the heat and took tons of pictures. The aerial displays were awesome and did not disappoint. What did disappoint was that with the heat the crowds would sit under the wings of all the planes. Messing up a lot of the shots. I guess that comes with the territory. There was a huge variety of aircraft from F/A-18A/C's to the Super Hornet. The EF-18G was even there. Again though there was a ton of people around it, making getting a good shot impossible. The humid air made for a hazy day so the shots didn't come out as well as I hoped. Then I find out later that there was a hair on the top of my lense I couldn't see so I had to crop the pics so the hair wasn't in the shot. One thing I learned is that my 200mm lense just doesn't cut it for airshow shooting and the picture quality of the aerial displays show it. The airshow was great and it was great to finally meet Fracture but it was a bad shooting day. I had all sorts of camera problems. So I apologize to everyone for the shoddiness of the pictures. However, if you havent been to the Dayton airshow its one of the biggest in the states and a must see for any aviation buff.

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg

Clipboard03.jpg

Clipboard04.jpg

Clipboard05.jpg

Clipboard06.jpg

Clipboard07.jpg

Clipboard08.jpg

Clipboard09.jpg

Clipboard10.jpg

Clipboard11.jpg

Clipboard12.jpg

Clipboard13.jpg

Clipboard14.jpg

Clipboard15.jpg

Clipboard16.jpg

Clipboard17.jpg

Clipboard18.jpg

Clipboard28.jpg

Clipboard27.jpg

Clipboard26.jpg

Clipboard24.jpg

Clipboard23.jpg

Clipboard22.jpg

Clipboard21.jpg

Clipboard20.jpg

DSC_0205.jpg

DSC_0196.jpg

DSC_0192.jpg

DSC_0187.jpg

DSC_0185.jpg

DSC_0184.jpg

DSC_0183.jpg

DSC_0182.jpg

DSC_0181.jpg

DSC_0180.jpg

DSC_0179.jpg

DSC_0176.jpg

DSC_0170.jpg

DSC_0169.jpg

DSC_0165.jpg

DSC_0164.jpg

DSC_0162.jpg

DSC_0159.jpg

DSC_0157.jpg

DSC_0152.jpg

DSC_0150.jpg

DSC_0148.jpg

DSC_0143.jpg

DSC_0134.jpg

DSC_0126.jpg

DSC_0125.jpg

DSC_0122.jpg

DSC_0120.jpg

DSC_0145.jpg

DSC_0243.jpg

Some damn good shots there matey, I espicially like the close up detail stuff, I see what you mean about folks under the wings & everywhere...........I used to moan about the barriers they put around the planes at our shows but atleast our way you do stand a fighting chance of getting a shot.

I agree you need either a bigger lens or a 2x converter for the aerial shots......or go and stand nearer the end of the runway they take off & land from, some great great burner shots to be had from those types of locations.

I'm sorry that you are not happy with your shots. I loved them and the details you got. Thank you for uploading the shots.

or go and stand nearer the end of the runway they take off & land from, some great great burner shots to be had from those types of locations.

Not at US airshows, the airshows Nazi's wont let you get that close. The security there was insane. Next year I am going to play an extra $50 and get the photo tour so I can get my shots. In the mean time, I am going to get my camera professionally cleaned up.

Some great shots there - pretty cool seeing the A-1

Was at RAF Fairford today - the F-22A was doing its stuff - has to be seen to be believed - truly amazing low speed high alpha performance - all to the ending tune of the Transformers film and an enthusiastic USAF commentator :yikes::good:

Met a USAFE F-16CJ pilot in the burger van queue - of course I asked him if they still practised guns only Dog fighting!! :grin:

I like the pictures Dave...!

made me wish we had a good Air Show like this one

hope one day we will :good:

Nice enough pics, AND wingtip vortices on an F-16, never saw that (only happens when flying hard turns without missiles loaded) !!!!

Fun to see good old J-510.......:good: The guys from 306Sq will be moving back to Tucson again soon......

Thanks,

Derk

Edited by Derk

Looks like your ISO is set too high also. I use 100 for my basic shooting. As you get higher, you get the noise.

Looks like you did a great job with keeping the subjects framed though.

The EA-18Gs were supposed to stop through here today, but apparently went elsewhere. Were both low-vis?

Thanks for posting Dave.

Great shots Dave. I saw the A-1 being rolled for display. Watched the F-16 do its thing and rolled to look at displays and went home.

Falcon

I know it's been hot up there, but is hanging out under a wing really going to help anything? They're on asphalt, it's not going to be cool even in the shade. It's not like the sun is that strong up in OH even in the summer. It's just an all-around oppressive heat you get without it actually seeming to come from anywhere, unlike here where the difference between being in the sun and shade can literally make you break into an instant sweat.

making getting a good shot impossible. The humid air made for a hazy day so the shots didn't come out as well as I hoped.

I'd really like to know what you call "good shot" :good: . The pictures you posted are lightyears ahead of anything I can do.

Good shots are what Sundowner and ST0RM get. They along with Fates, have been my mentors. I have years to go before I get to their caliber.

These are great photos Dave! The shots of the F-16 and F/A-18 are incredible. The Dayton Airshow is always amazing, even when the weather is bad they still do a lot of flying. Truly a great American Airshow! Were you there in 2005 when they had the F-117 on display? They let people get closer to the F-22 than they did the F-117!

Awesome Dave... really wish I could have made it up again to be there.

Nice shot! i love the beverage compartment on the Cobra...