ME109G-4 & Spitfire LF Vb

gallery_8064_449_86573.jpg

Hunter FGA.9

gallery_8064_449_86505.jpg

B-52H

gallery_8064_449_90943.jpg

AMX

gallery_8064_449_62137.jpg

Must have been fun again, like it always was. First been there loooooong time ago in 1974 at Greenham Commons, had a litlle chat then with Douglas Bader (then the honorary president) and there was an icredible lot of exotic stuff.

In later years the Queens Jubilee was the occasion where HMAS Melbourne was in Southampton and there was a demo of an A4G as well as just about everything from USS Enterprize: A7, A6, Prowler, A3D, Viking and of course the Tomcat.

Greenham Commons was a big bomber base (just like Fairford) with HUGE aprons, making wonderful exhibition space.

The RIAT was the living proof of the thesis that at airshows you ALWAYS see something that you have never seen before or something you will never see again......:drinks:

Hou doe,

Derk

Edited by Derk

Must have been fun again, like it always was. First been there loooooong time ago in 1974 at Greenham Commons, had a litlle chat then with Douglas Bader (then the honorary president) and there was an icredible lot of exotic stuff.

In later years the Queens Jubilee was the occasion where HMAS Melbourne was in Southampton and there was a demo of an A4G as well as just about everything from USS Enterprize: A7, A6, Prowler, A3D, Viking and of course the Tomcat.

Greenham Commons was a big bomber base (just like Fairford) with HUGE aprons, making wonderful exhibition space.

The RIAT was the living proof of the thesis that at airshows you ALWAYS see something that you have never seen before or something you will never see again......:drinks:

Hou doe,

Derk

Incredible you got to speak to Douglas Bader - this year is the 70th aniversary of the BoB so the program had a big feature on the man himself - didnt realise he was president from 76 until his death in 1981.

There was a lot there - although that shot of the F-117 and the Red Arrows is a sight to behold!!

Some other things i didnt photo - (1. Battery ran out 2. no good at photography)

Spitfire LF mk9 and Eurofighter Typhoon duel synchronised low speed display - amazing

new A400M display

Spits, Hurricanes and BF109/108s flying together.

FA-18F (US Navy) display

Gripen NG (Static)

Incredible you got to speak to Douglas Bader - this year is the 70th aniversary of the BoB so the program had a big feature on the man himself - didnt realise he was president from 76 until his death in 1981.

Sorry, must have been after 1976 then, went a couple of times during those years and lost count. But he was there allright, with his slightly swaggering walk, just taking a stroll and quite nice to talk to.

As a FIAT (Friend of the International Air Tattoo) member we had admission to the airfield one or two days before the show and could move around quite freely at the north side of the field . Great memories, like a tent being blown away by a parking F111 (and a VERY wide grin by the pilot), sheltering for a rainstorm under the wing of a Venezolan(!) Canberra (Chavez probably still wearing diapers then) ,operational Vulcans, the first demo by our F27 Troopship by Boy Soons, winning the Display Sword right away, the first early F 16 demo's,first time I saw a Crusader (French Navy), lots of F104's, sizzling Lightning and F 4 demo's,lots of incredible old stuff, long retired since etc. etc.

Could write a book about it, it was heaven on earth. :angel: (made no pics but I do have sound recordings of some shows)

Those were the days my friend ............:drinks:

Hou doe,

Derk

Edited by Derk

Cheers Nesher

Would have been ace to see the vast array of classic jets available back in the 70s Mr Derk!!

Heres one you might like

gallery_8064_449_16254.jpg

All over the world at your service sir !! USA, Canada, Afghanistan, Curacao, wherever you order them:grin:...

Hou doe,

Derk