Sign in to follow this  
AGOSTINO

About installation of the GroundObject?

I have installed many GroundObject, in my merged SF2+SF2V+SF2E+SF2I+SF2Exp1+SF2_Exp1_update_Jun2010!!!

Why I can't see none of these, when I fly in stock terrains?? (Desert-GermanyCE-IsraelME-VietnamSEA) :dntknw:

I've read this: http://combatace.com...2-by-migbuster/ :this:

I see only the GroundObjectRole=MOBILE_AAA, :good: no STATIC_SAM, no EW_RADAR, no TRANSPORT, no COMMAND and no SAM_RADAR!! :blink:

I see only the GroundObjectRole=MOBILE_AAA, :good: no STATIC_SAM, no EW_RADAR, no TRANSPORT, no COMMAND and no SAM_RADAR!! :blink:

For which side? NATO? Mobile AAA and Transport are both mobile ground objects, and as such, they will appear when and where it is appropriate (transport only during red-side armed-recon).

Command, Static Sams, EWRs, and Sam Radars must be hand placed in the terrain_data.ini. If the NATO side does not have a placement for them, they will not appear.

For which side? NATO?

USMC, WGermany, RAF and SOVIET !!! :this:

Soviet Stationary Sams will be placed automaticaly by year and by availability, unless they are improperly formatted. The NATO stuff, as I said, requires placement.

Soviet Stationary Sams will be placed automaticaly by year and by availability, unless they are improperly formatted. The NATO stuff, as I said, requires placement.

Now it is all clear ....... :good: ....... thank you infinitely!!!! :clapping:

TK made no provisions for NATO/Western Air Defense units, excepting for those roled as "STATIC_AA" or "MOBILE_AA".

Hence, the tagging of Stinger Sites, Chapparrell, Blowpipes as "Static_AAA" and "Mobile_AAA" for the Chap.

NATO NIKE and HAWK bases (and by inference, british Rapier and Bloodhounds) MUST be located and placed via edits of the Targets and Types inis.

Soviet/WarPac Mobile SAMs and Mobile AAA will also be automaticlly placed at/with those targe regions listed as "AAA" in the targets ini, based upon their defined GroundObjectRole= (ie: Mobile_SAM or Mobile_AAA)

wrench

kevin stein

So let me see if I understand correctly:

Groundobjects have GroundObjectRole=

STATIC_AAA

MOBILE_AAA

STATIC_SAM

MOBILE_SAM

The game engine populates the terrain dynamically, using entries in terrain_targets.ini, as:

AAA are populated with STATIC_AAA or MOBILE_AAA

SAM_Launcher entries with STATIC_SAM and MOBILE_SAM.

If STATIC_SAM, Also placing their respective SAM_Radar groundobjects, linked via NetworkType.

BUT catch is:

the *_SAM entries only work for Red/ENEMY side, so the FRIENDLY side needs them placed as specific entries defined in Terrain_Types.ini and Terrain_Targets.INI.

it's been a while, so is this how its done in latest SF2 patch?

So let me see if I understand correctly:

Groundobjects have GroundObjectRole=

STATIC_AAA

MOBILE_AAA

STATIC_SAM

MOBILE_SAM

The game engine populates the terrain dynamically, using entries in terrain_targets.ini, as:

AAA are populated with STATIC_AAA or MOBILE_AAA

SAM_Launcher entries with STATIC_SAM and MOBILE_SAM.

If STATIC_SAM, Also placing their respective SAM_Radar groundobjects, linked via NetworkType.

BUT catch is:

the *_SAM entries only work for Red/ENEMY side, so the FRIENDLY side needs them placed as specific entries defined in Terrain_Types.ini and Terrain_Targets.INI.

it's been a while, so is this how its done in latest SF2 patch?

Pretty much....

img00183.JPG

img00169.JPG

works exactly the same between 1st and NextGen sims.

BTW, things like the Chapparel and it's equlivant Sov/WarPac are classed as MOBILE_AAA. This assures them showing up to play. OTH, TK has the stock SA-8 classed as "MOBILE_SAM"

HOWEVER....

there are internal coding glitches with specifically-called out SAMs, EWR and SAMRadars (in particular the NIKE and HAWKs)

Meaning: they go 'stealth' on your TEWs; not showing up in Search or Track modes. OR you have emply launchers, with no missiles having been fired, or other strangneses.

Hence, for HAWK and Rapier batteries, it's best to use the generic SAMLauncher, SAMRadar and EWR tags in the targets ini even if specific units are called out in the _types.ini. This is what I did on the recent Libya update; used only genric tags for the NATO AD batteries (since there's no NIKE batteries in Tunisia!)

and..

the game engine STILL screws up with the mix-and-match locating of varous radars. It's quite possible to find a NIKE TTR tower in the middle of a HAWK or Rapier battery. Even though the various types are networked together; it even still happens, although rarer, with Soviet/WarPac SAM batteries having different SAM and EWR radars than should be associated with each other (example: SA-3 battery with SA-5 radar)

and lets not even go there with the Firecans .. they sometimes showup as vehicles in CAS mission (yup, had it happen to me the other day, while testing the Misti F-1)

wrench

kevin stein

Edited by Wrench

Thanks for the info guys.

there are internal coding glitches with specifically-called out SAMs, EWR and SAMRadars (in particular the NIKE and HAWKs)

Meaning: they go 'stealth' on your TEWs; not showing up in Search or Track modes. OR you have emply launchers, with no missiles having been fired, or other strangneses.

Hence, for HAWK and Rapier batteries, it's best to use the generic SAMLauncher, SAMRadar and EWR tags in the targets ini even if specific units are called out in the _types.ini. This is what I did on the recent Libya update; used only genric tags for the NATO AD batteries (since there's no NIKE batteries in Tunisia!)

This was exactly my experience, even back in the old Oct2009(?) patch. So it's still this way :blink:

Hand placed SAMs (using specific callouts in terrain_types.ini), will not paint on RWR/TEWS.

It's a compromise but it's best to use SAMLauncher/SAMRadar tags, as you suggest Kevin.