Sign in to follow this  
OvS

...and now, for something completely different.. Retro Gaming!

By no means is this new to anyone that has been doing it for the past 10+ years... like me... but if you haven't tried it, I'd be happy to help on this forum thread. Please don't PM asking for ROMs. You can find them very easily out there, mostly on ROMNATION.com.

I have been doing this for well over 10 years now and started on what's called Muliti Arcade Machine Emultor, or MAME for short. I loved it so much that when I finally bought my house in 2000, one of the first projects I did for my wife and I was to build a fully functional arcade machine, to fit the PC running MAME. 10 years later, I have refurbished/converted two more arcade machines (or MAME cabinets as they are formally known as in the MAME world). From that point on, and prior to it, I used several for NES, Atari 2600/5200/7800, Commodore 64, Amiga, SNES, Sega, heck.. .even Channel F!!

So with that, if anyone is interested, I can help out by starting a short list of game systems and very good emulators that you can use to play all those old games again, right from a portable thumb drive!

Known good emultors are in bold letters and readily available for free out on the i-net.

Commodore 64 - CCS64 roms can be found at www.c64.com however, they are missing a lot, and some don't work. But a very good starting point.

Amiga - UAE or winFellow - you need to get the kickstart roms (they're out there too)

Intellivision - Nostalgia - you need the GROM and EXEC roms to run it... and the intellivoice rom to play the 4 intellivoice games

Atari 2600 - MESS

Atari 5200 - MESS

Atari 7800 - MESS

Colecovision - MESS (there is another emulation available, but I find MESS to be the easist to config and use.

NES - Nesticle or MESS - good luck with finding roms, NES tightened the clamp, but they're still out there.

SNES - Znes or MESS - same as NES for roms

Dragon's Lair - Daphne or MAME - you need more files and the original DVD game available at http://www.digitalle...VDRom_games.htm

ALL arcade games - MAME latest version is 138u3.

old DOS games (yes, you can play Monkey Island again!!! Or even Wings of Glory!!) - DosBox - games are out there on abandonwarz sites all over the place.

Well that's a really good start...

OvS

Edited by OvS

:cool:

NES - fceux

SNES - revived snes9x

MSX - blueMSX

PC88 - Anex86

TG16 aka PC-engine - ootake

Most Segas - Kega Fusion

Playstation 1 - epsxe

Playstation 2 - pcsx2

Sega Saturn - SSF alpha :clapping:

Gameboy (any) - VisualBoyAdvance

A lot of Neo-Geo and Capcom arcades - Kawaks

Old adventure games - ScummVM

A few old Mac games - Executor

There's been emulators for portable consoles too...been doin some old school gaming on my PSP...fun stuff!

FC

Have you considered getting Pandora?

What, you mean the Pandora battery?

FC

PS Oh wait, I see what you're talking about now...I'm not THAT interested in retro gaming...

UK computers:

ZX-Spectrum - ZX SPin

Dragon 32 - XRoar

Amstrad CPC 464 - WinApe

BBC - model-b

Vectrex - DVE

There is also a ZX-Spectrum online emulator here.

For Vectrex and ZX-128 (and all other Spectrums) I use MESS as well. It allows you to easily add-in all the cool overlays for the Vectrex that you need to play some of the games.

OvS

Year and years ago we actually had a forum dedicated to MAME. Just not enough interest in the General Population for it.

M

Year and years ago we actually had a forum dedicated to MAME. Just not enough interest in the General Population for it.

M

Really? Wow.

Hey... I was thinking of asking the guys over at Panzer Elite Dev Group (PEDG) if they'd like to team-up with us at CombatAce. I wonder if they would. That's another awesome throw-back.. even though the graphics are really dated... the game rocks.

OvS

send them the invite!

Guest rscsjsuso5

just my two cents about emulators - i would recommend epsx1.6 and try the game panzer front blow some tanks up.

for mame32k6.04en try the classic games like street fighter alpha 1 2 3 and snk vs capcom , for me i'm a big m. bison fan

enjoy your day