Sign in to follow this  
firehawkordy

I am bored!!!!! I need a new flight sim

Like I said, I need a new flight sim and not LOMAC,my computer is too slow for it.

Any recomendations? fixed or rotary wing it dont mater. I just feel the need to blow S**t up.

I am looking at CFS3 and Il-2, how are they?

Thanks for any input.

When is your next scheduled computer upgrade? Not to flame, but to keep up with what's "NEW" in software....you have to keep up with what's "NEW" in hardware.

However...their are plenty of things to chose from, but what SIMS have you played...so we can eliminate all the obvious? And how "SLOW" is your computer?

Their are alot of great games out there...and CFS or IL-2 may be the right direction, but not if you prefer flying the aircraft in LOMAC. Strike FIghters is a great game with plenty of mods as well...and works well on slower computer too.

I don't fly much any more...I stick with the ground pounder games...and more of them seem to be introducing AIRCRAFT...like BF1942/BFV, Soldner, and many more.

<C>

Fates

Also not to flame...but aircraft in BF1942? C'mon Fates! ;)

Firehawk, I reinstalled CFS2 in the last 6 months and am having a good time with it again. There are some good links and patches over at SimHQ/CFS2 forum. There's one huge 3rd party patch over there that makes graphics better...like weapons effects and terrain as well as a few good A2G missions (since CFS2 only came with A2A missions), and improved flight models. Attacking ships is quite tough and you'd be lucky to make a pass on one without a little self damage...but it's hellafun.

I haven't tried IL2 of CFS3 so I can't comment on them, although IL2 seems pretty popular.

Like you, my machine isn't quite up to par with Lomac's specs, but real life keeps stepping in the way of upgrading. <_<

Also not to flame...but aircraft in BF1942?  C'mon Fates! ;) 

I guess I ignored the word "SIM"...and focused on the phrase "BLOW SH!T UP"

Okay, I all ready have Srike Fighters, it was the first sim I got, and I just finnished a few rounds of CSF2. I guess my real question is, whether or not are Il-2 or CFS3 worth the money?

I just got this computer last year so other than upgrading the memory and video card a new one is out of the question. For some reason my wife is unreasonable on this point.

If I do get the most recent patch for CFS2 is that all I need or do I have to get the previous ones also?

What about Jet THunder? is it out yet or is there still a wait?

As for my computer specs, it's a Dell with a Celeron processer with a speed of 2.20GHz and 256 RAM. The Video controller is what came with the system,but that is the next upgrade.

Thanks guys.

Edited by firehawkordy

BF1942 is a great game for blowing things up - i play it a lot again now when i need to relax from simming. The many mods make it an extremely varied experience. Take a look at my

"supermod" topic in in the BF1942 section.

If it has to be si i would say that its never too late to get into IL2 - get it along with the Aces Expansion Pack. Many hours of fun there. It feels great. Good flightmodels. An because these planes dont have advanced avionicsthat stops yoiu fram getting kills with less than 15 hours training time in each plane you will want to try out the different planes. Overall graphics is better in LoMAc but IL2 has some things like water going for it. Also dammage models are great.

Il-2 will work very well on your system and is definately worth the money. The multi-player alone is worth the money. THe flight models are very accurate.

My system is old as well:

Celeron 1.07 GHZ, Geforce II 32 mb, 384 mb of ram, but this game runs extremely well on it.

FS2002 pro is a good choice if you like civilian sims. Millions of add-ons for it.

Some other choices:

Janes USAF, or F-!8

F-18 precision strike fighter (s**tty graphics, but has carrier ops)

B-17 the Mighty Eighth

If you computer can't run Lo-mac, most likely it won't be able to run Il2 either.

I recommend the following games for slow computers:

Falcon 4

Jane's USAF

You really should upgrade your computer. It's really cheap to get a simple fast computer.

? really? well there is NO comparison possible with IL2/FB and Lomac on this ground.

if you get the original game, with your config it is going to be perfect. Forgotten Battles you will be able too. It is running perfectly on one of my PC quite the same as yours.

And IL2 and FB are simply the best!!

well our sim is not finished yet but if your machine runs il2 fb well - then it will run ours well enough too.

i believe in developing games on midrange medicocre machines - mine is 384 mb 1.2ghz duron with a crap gforce 4mx 64mb gfx card

you tend to be discouraged from making optimisations if your fps is always hitting the refresh rate of the monitor.

Scary,

I am lookinf forward to your games release. I've been lurking the Jet Thunder forum, and I like what I am seeing. For the moment I'm going to be flying Il-2.

I reinstalled CFS2 in the last 6 months and am having a good time with it again

I have two cfs2 installs,one basic and on the other one I moved fs2000 graphics and cities etc,fun to blast things up over nyc or L.A

I just got this computer last year so other than upgrading the memory and video card a new one is out of the question. For some reason my wife is unreasonable on this point

LOL LOL yeah those pesky better halves,they dont let us have any fun,have eyeball liberty,buy that bright red two seater car and they get downright nasty if you spend more than a hr killing things!! they somehow feel they being ignored,hell they not ignored they let us know they are THERE :D

I have two cfs2 installs,one basic and on the other one I moved fs2000 graphics and cities etc,fun to blast things up over nyc or L.A

yeah, IL2 :) I have played this for many hours also - but for some reason my system suffers persistant crashes in opengl mode - nasty crashes that cause instant reboot.

so i've ended up being unable to play IL2 except in crappy DX mode.

making my own flightsim in order to play it is one of motivations as I miss IL2 so much. I'm hoping in the end that the JetThunder series will be as fun and sucessful as IL2 in online play.