Sign in to follow this  
Creaghorn

Realistic Tracers and Effects

hello all,

just a reminder for you and some improvements. please take a look in the download section. there was some correct complaining about having too many kills. some elements (retreating AI etc.) can't be fixed in P3, but a lot other elements can. that mod makes killing a lot harder!

now you can choose between 3 versions of bullets, as close to the real thing as possible.

effectsnotracer:

you don't see anything. no bullet and no smoketrail. just the muzzle from your gun. that's the typical M.G. with ordinary bullets. very hard for deflectionshooting. you have to get really close and aim good. typical usage in early airwar.

effectstrailersmoke:

no visible bullets, but quite visible smoketrail. (little bit like in flyboys). the smoke helps you to adjust your aim, but not too much, but more like it was in real. typical usage in airwar maybe from 1917 on.

effectswithtracers:

modified tracers. no more throwing tennisballs at the enemy but closer to how real tracerbullets look like. maybe comparable with the tracers in "crossing the line". since trailersmoke bullets and tracerbullets were not the same (currently they are) with tracers the smoketrail is reduced. it is visible though, especially on bad weather, but not as good as with trailersmoke bullets. usage probably from spring 1917 on in airwar.

of course you can use any version at any time :-)

to use any of the effects, just throw it into

C:\OBDSoftware\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields

please back up first the original effect file.

the improved tracer dds.files drop into

C:\OBDSoftware\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields\effects\fxtextures

please also back up first the original files

as a sidenote:

all 3 versions of the effect files have reduced visible effects when far away. from closer on you can see bulletholes and canvas ripped off etc. but no dust and particles which give you a very arcadish indicator if you hit the enemy or not and which makes you adjust easily. intention is not to take away eyecandy but to make shooting down a lot tougher as it really was.

to see how the mod will look like, please take a look at this video, made by Hellshade. thank you very much again for your support, Hellshade!:drinks:

please note that youtube can never show it the same, like it looks in the sim.

all original content belong to OBD software.

have fun

Creaghorn (with great help by Hellshade)

Edited by Creaghorn

Thanks Creaghorn!

:dntknw: How do you back up files ?

I personally just rename the files (the ones that are to be replaced with the Mod files) where they are at in the OFF install directory with an "OBD" added to the end of the filename. That way they stay in roughly the same position on the file list, but I can see they are the original files that OBD used when I installed Over Flanders Fields. It makes it easy to just delete the mod files if you wish to uninstall the mod and then remove the "OBD" from the end of the original files by renaming them. Other people like to be extra safe and copy the files to a seperate directory.

For anyone, especially the DiD enthusiasts, who wish to make shooting down planes considerably harder and thus have a kill rate more in line with the pilots of the real war, I heartily recommend this mod. It greatly reduces the chance that you will hit your target the father away from you they are. Obviously if you are right on top of your foe like I usually tend to fly, tracers and bullet trails are not as important, but you also highly increase your risk of dying because you ram into your target! A tough but realistic trade off indeed.

Otherwise, if you wish to fire from a safe distance, your accuracy is going to drop tremendously and your kill progression will naturally reflect that as you will run out of ammo with a lot less, if anything, to show for your efforts. For anyone who has ever wished for the most realistic kill rates possible, Creaghorns Ammo Mod takes a huge step towards balancing out those numbers to be more in line with history. The install is very simple and you owe it to yourself to find out just how tough it can be. It's a challenge you don't want to miss!

Thank you for providing this mod Creaghorn. Outstanding work sir! :salute:

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

I can also recommend these, like all of Creaghorn's stuff. Especially valuable for us DiD people, or other masochists.

I like the look of the Tracers...I'm too cowardly to use the no-smoke/Tracer mods...my kills are not good at the moment :good:

Great work guys!!

Does anyone else have two speech tracks on the video?

Apart from that, a great demo, Hellshade.

Does anyone else have two speech tracks on the video?

Apart from that, a great demo, Hellshade.

Just one audio track sir. Did you by chance accidently double launch it and have it playing twice with the second window hidden in the background somewhere?

Hellshade

Just one audio track sir. Did you by chance accidently double launch it and have it playing twice with the second window hidden in the background somewhere?

Hellshade

I'll bet he did... cos I did exactly the same :grin:

You're right, must have been running twice. Now it worked fine for me.

Are you ready for this?

I'm flying a 1915 E-III campaign with FA 62 so I decided to use the 'notracer' mod. My accuracy rate has more than doubled. I used to get about 15-20%, 25% or so on a good day. My first mission I was at 48% and the second 69%!!! I can only guess that knowing I don't have tracers to guide me I'm taking my time and aiming more carefully.

I personally just rename the files (the ones that are to be replaced with the Mod files) where they are at in the OFF install directory with an "OBD" added to the end of the filename. That way they stay in roughly the same position on the file list, but I can see they are the original files that OBD used when I installed Over Flanders Fields. It makes it easy to just delete the mod files if you wish to uninstall the mod and then remove the "OBD" from the end of the original files by renaming them. Other people like to be extra safe and copy the files to a seperate directory.

For anyone, especially the DiD enthusiasts, who wish to make shooting down planes considerably harder and thus have a kill rate more in line with the pilots of the real war, I heartily recommend this mod. It greatly reduces the chance that you will hit your target the father away from you they are. Obviously if you are right on top of your foe like I usually tend to fly, tracers and bullet trails are not as important, but you also highly increase your risk of dying because you ram into your target! A tough but realistic trade off indeed.

Otherwise, if you wish to fire from a safe distance, your accuracy is going to drop tremendously and your kill progression will naturally reflect that as you will run out of ammo with a lot less, if anything, to show for your efforts. For anyone who has ever wished for the most realistic kill rates possible, Creaghorns Ammo Mod takes a huge step towards balancing out those numbers to be more in line with history. The install is very simple and you owe it to yourself to find out just how tough it can be. It's a challenge you don't want to miss!

Thank you for providing this mod Creaghorn. Outstanding work sir! :salute:

Hellshade

I say, Thanks old man will give the old college try this weekend. Thank You.:good:

Are you ready for this?

I'm flying a 1915 E-III campaign with FA 62 so I decided to use the 'notracer' mod. My accuracy rate has more than doubled. I used to get about 15-20%, 25% or so on a good day. My first mission I was at 48% and the second 69%!!! I can only guess that knowing I don't have tracers to guide me I'm taking my time and aiming more carefully.

Similar thing happened to me. I didnt double my accuracy rating, but it went up to over 60% on average. Two to three bursts close up, max, and they go down. I'm hitting vital areas more often.

Hellshade

Von Baur and Hellshade, maybe you went much closer? Cause that helps a lot.

definitely. that's my experience too. you automatically have to get closer and closer because you avoid those distant snapshots. killing twoseaters will get tougher because you are closer to the gunner. especially when attacking a formation. you'll see that you are going to make quick attacks and turn away again, repeating it several times, instead of stalking and shooting from the distance.

Yep, 1915 is no WW2 and shooting things down with cannon from 300 metres, this mod takes care of that. :cool:

definitely. that's my experience too. you automatically have to get closer and closer because you avoid those distant snapshots. killing twoseaters will get tougher because you are closer to the gunner. especially when attacking a formation. you'll see that you are going to make quick attacks and turn away again, repeating it several times, instead of stalking and shooting from the distance.

Combined with HPW's improved DM, two-seaters are a real pain to kill now, if you don't hit the pilot or engine quickly.

Yep, 1915 is no WW2 and shooting things down with cannon from 300 metres, this mod takes care of that. :cool:

Combined with HPW's improved DM, two-seaters are a real pain to kill now, if you don't hit the pilot or engine quickly.

when available for DL? :dntknw:

when available for DL? :dntknw:

Only HPW knows. He'll let us know when it's time. :cool:

i've read often in literature how the fighterpilot stalked a twoseater, attacking him angrily without any noticable effect, taking care not to get hit by the gunner, repeating it several times, further stalking him from safe distance, and then letting him go after a while without shooting him down. fights like that are going to increase in BHAH with the mods i hope, and that's really cool. less hollywood :good:

So far I've only taken down BE2's, which are pretty much sitting ducks, and I always took my time and got very close (probably not much more than 50-60 yards, maybe less). The main thing is that I'm not shooting without using the machine gun's sights.

Yes, I naturally eliminated any and all distance shooting because not only is it impossible to correct your aim, but without the debris and smoke puffs to tell you if you are hitting him or not, you don't even know if you should correct your aim. So any distance shots at all are complete waste. Also, I only shoot if I can get at least a 3 second burst into the EA while he remains relatively stationary in front of my guns, as I said in my Tactics video. When I fire, it's close enough to be a pretty much guaranteed hit and long enough that most of the bullets are going to hit something vital like the pilot or the engine.

Hellshade

Yes, I naturally eliminated any and all distance shooting because not only is it impossible to correct your aim, but without the debris and smoke puffs to tell you if you are hitting him or not, you don't even know if you should correct your aim. So any distance shots at all are complete waste. Also, I only shoot if I can get at least a 3 second burst into the EA while he remains relatively stationary in front of my guns, as I said in my Tactics video. When I fire, it's close enough to be a pretty much guaranteed hit and long enough that most of the bullets are going to hit something vital like the pilot or the engine.

Hellshade

good example is my alarm clock. it's actually a target, placed on the other side of the bedroom, and when it rings, i have to hit the bull with a laserpointer. as long as i haven't hit the bull, it won't stop ringing. that's to make you really wake up instead of halfawake push the wrong button and fall asleep again. with the red dot from the distance it's hard enough, but now imagine the red dot is invisible and you have to hit the bull. you would go really close and push that damn thing against the bull :boredom: