Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

FSX Skinning

Hi all

Does anyone know how to skin in FSX using Photoshop?

I have tried converting the .BMP textures to .DDS using DDS Converter2 (and also have the Nvidia DDS plugin.....but it doesnt seem to open the texture files at all)

Works great for OFF etc

any advice most welcome

What are you trying to skin?

A native FSX model generally has the textures stored in DDS format to start with so they should open in Photoshop if you've got the nVidia plug-in installed.

If that's not working grab DXTbmp by Martin Wright from here, it can open pretty much any FS graphics file format.

After that it's like skinning for any other sim. The only minor difference is that true FSX external textured are flipped vertically to speed up loading times, consequently any text looks back to front.

Hiya Skippy..thanks for your quick reply.

Yes, that's what I thought!...but the aircraft I am trying to get working on, is an Abacus addon..and it appears to be saved in .BMP format.

Good call on DXTbmp..I forgot about that...will have a bash

Many Thanks m8 :drinks:

ps...just had a look at your website...holy Cow...some beautiful skins on there...absolutely wonderful! :salute:

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

One thing worth bearing in mind is that the model might not actually look for DDS textures, there's a tick box when you export stuff for FSX that lets you chose what format textures to look for, e.g. BMP, DDS or both.

Thanks for the comment on the website, admittedly they're mostly done by other people, I mainly make the models, so I'll pass it on!