Sign in to follow this  
Herr Prop-Wasche

Watch this space!

Hello again, fellow OFFers. I know I haven't been posting much on the forum lately, but that doesn't mean that I haven't been busy thinking about BHaH and its devoted group of WWI simmers. In fact, I am very nearly finished with a completely revised and updated version of my damage model for HITR. Although the new model is based on previous editions of the damage model, I feel it has been significantly improved because of several factors, including in-game experience, hindsight, and most importantly, statistical analysis aided by the use of a very large Excel spreadsheet I have put together containing all of the data concerning the dimensions and "hit points" of all of the components in all 47 aircraft currently available in HITR.

In essence, what this means is that instead of relying mainly on my own personal feelings about the performance of all of the aircraft in OFF and how they should behave when damaged, I am now also using statistical analysis to help me to initially determine how many hit points to allocate to each component of each individual aircraft in OFF. Usually, this is based upon the relative size of the component of interest. Basically, I am operating from the principle that larger components should have more hit points than smaller components. Therefore, in general, the elevator of a Fokker D VII should have more hit points than the elevator of a Fokker E III. Of course, I also consider other factors, such as the time period, whether the airplane is a scout or a bomber/recc, and the reputation of the aircraft for unusual strength or weakness, for example. Starting from this figure, I then test and tweak each aircraft until I am happy with the result.

So many changes to the damage model have been made in this new version that it is almost impossible for me to describe each one. In general, however, the hit points and "threshold values" which control the display of damage effects in the new model are not that far off from how they appear in the original version of OFF or in any of my previous damage models. Overall, the most significant changes should be somewhat greater variation in the durability of different aircraft types (stronger D VII's, slightly weaker Albs), engines that are more resistant to initial damage but don't burn quite as quickly (with the exception of DH2's and Harry Tate's :diablo: ), stronger wing roots but weaker wing tips, and stronger horizontal stabilizers.

I hope to have the new version ready for release in about a week or so. I will make the announcement on this thread in addition to placing the mod in the 3rd party mods section of the OFF forum. Until then, happy OFFing!

Based on my experience of your previous efforts I'm looking forward to this one... thanks for continuing to provide these, HPW.

PW- Greatly looking forward to your DM. I recall from my long ago FM work in RB, that the size and number of excel spreadsheets are directly proportional to the quality of the outcome!

Royce

Yeah, my spreadsheet is getting larger and larger! Everyday I add a couple of new columns with more information!

I'm getting excited about the new DM! In testing, I think I am noticing more difference in outcome in 4 on 4 battles depending on the skill of the enemy. I have also noticed a couple of aircraft with torn wingtips actually trying to retreat from battle!

Currently, I'm working on decoupling engine hit points from the liklihood of catching fire. I think I'm having some success with some engines with higher hit points being less likely to catch on fire, with other aircraft with the same number of hit points being more likely to catch on fire. Currently, the more fragile engines tend to catch fire more quickly than the larger and sturdier engines--which is not necessarily accurate.

Having already had the privilege to test this mod, I can heartily recommend it to everybody who likes to make his OFF experience even more challenging and realistic. Perhaps the most noticeable change is the toughness of two-seaters in general - you'll have to be really good and lucky if you plan to shoot down half a dozen bombers per mission with HPW's DM! One DFW I attacked with my SPAD XIII took a tremendous pounding before succumbing to the inevitable and falling down. So you won't see results comparable to a Me-262 attacking bombers with heavy cannons in this mod, ie. no terrible carnage after a couple of hits.

Hits to the engine and cockpit are now even more important than before, if you want to quickly shoot down somebody. Another important change is the increased tendency of certain aircraft to catch fire, so expect to see some more "Spinning Incinerators" (DH.2) actually go down in flames!

Combined with Creaghorn's tracer mod, HPW's mods will make OFF even more challenging, but also more enjoyable. :cool:

Did you find out, if it works in "Campaign"?

I got the impression, it does for me - but how can I be sure?

Did you find out, if it works in "Campaign"?

I got the impression, it does for me - but how can I be sure?

i thought it's about the FM which does or doesn't work in campaign, not the DM.

i would gladly try the DM as soon as ready.

FM i would like to try too, but only when knowing that it really works. who knows, maybe it doesn't work with the testers but has a placebo-effect?:heat:

Sorry - yes, my question is about the FM.

I believe to notice changes on the Albatros D.V in Campaign (better roll rate for example).

The DM mod works in campaign without any problems, it's the FM mod that's causing trouble.

I will be interested in this once you have a product that you feel is ready for general release. If you wish, I can make an accompanying video as I did with Creaghorns Ammo Mod, so that people can see what kind of differences they can expect in the Campaign and Quick Combats with your work. I think more people will be willing to install it if they can see ahead of time what kind of results they will be getting. Especially if they can see better FMs like a faster climbing DR 1 that makes the combat more intense and realistic. Combined with Creaghorns Ammo and Sound Tweak II mods, I think Between Heaven & Hell is moving ever closer to the most authentic recreation of WWI air combat as possible with the help of the community. I am very excited about the possibilities sir.

Hellshade

Thanks for your kind offer, H***shade!

The DM is 98% finished, I think. For the most part, all that is left is testing and tweaking to make sure everything works as designed. I can send you a beta DM that works in QC for use in a demonstration video right away. A campaign version is still a few days away as I have to make sure there are no major errors in the QC version first because the campaign version is made up of multiple copies (eleven for all 47 planes in HITR) of the QC model. That takes a while to do, unfortunately.

Edited by Herr Prop-Wasche

Thanks for your kind offer, H***shade!

The DM is 98% finished, I think. For the most part, all that is left is testing and tweaking to make sure everything works as designed. I can send you a beta DM that works in QC for use in a demonstration video right away. A campaign version is still a few days away as I have to make sure there are no major errors in the QC version first because the campaign version is made up of multiple copies (eleven for all 47 planes in HITR) of the QC model. That takes a while to do, unfortunately.

After thinking about it, it's probably best to do 2 separate videos. 1 showing changes in the Damage Model and the second showing changes in the Flight Model. If you can get them both working in the Campaign mode as well as QC (it's a tricky challenge, I know) that would obviously be ideal and I'm sure you're working on it.

I'd like to keep the videos to around 5 minutes each. 9 - 10 minute videos are over a gigabyte and an awful lot to download for some folks. If you could send me some text regarding Flight Model changes to each aircraft, that would be a big help in producing the video. For instance, as you noted to Olham, "Albatros and Nieuports now are less likely to lose their lower wings in tight turns." Dive speeds have been reduced across the board or only for specific aircraft, etc. Roll rates have been increased for the following aircraft, etc. The biggest changes should be noted so that I can highlight the differences in the video between your work and "vanilla" OFF:BH&H.

Thank you for all of your efforts. While the Dev team works away on P4, people such as yourself and Creaghorn are creating optional mods that continue to add value and variety to the BH&H experience.

My only question is how difficult is it to install and uninstall the FM & DMs? Can somebody create a series of executable batch files that auto backup the original FM & DM data. Another to install your FM & DM data and perhaps a 3rd to restore the originals? The two big concerns about any mods are always #1. Will I like the results? The video will give them a preview of what they can expect and take care of that. and #2. Is it easy to install and uninstall so I don't mess up my game? If you don't already have something in place, a few batch files with pretty icons to click on might help take care of that and see your work get put to more use.

Hellshade

Both Olham and Hasse Wind are using a program called "JoneSoft Generic Mods Enabler" (JSGME) to load and unload mods to their OFF installations. JSGME is a very handy and easy to install and use program that will automatically back up your standard installation and then load any mod you choose to run with just the click of a button. It's ideal for anyone who wants to fly heavily modded single-player, but who also enjoys flying either modded or unmodded multiplayer. You can even use several mods together, as long as they don't use the same exact files. You can get JSGME here: http://www.users.on....ucts-jsgme.html

Here is a beta version of the DM for use in QC, Hellshade. Others are welcome to try it, too. As I said, the mod is about 98% complete.

I'm not sure how suitable it will be for a video demonstration, however, as you won't see any dramatic differences between it and the standard DM. Most of the changes are relatively minor adjustments for each plane that have the overall effect of rebalancing the um, balance, of the various aircraft in OFF. In fact, I don't expect the revised DM to appeal much to casual gamers, as there is less "whiz-bang" with the mod in the form of fewer wings getting blown off and it taking longer to cripple and shoot down most enemy planes--unless you are really lucky!

It will take me awhile to put together a complete list of all of the changes I have made with this mod since there are so many, mostly small ones; but I will see what I can do.

BTW, the mod I just posted is specifically designed to be used with JSGME installed first. You can probably use it without JSGME, but you will first have to back up or copy ALL of your .xdp files in each aircraft QC folder first.

Here is a beta version of the DM for use in QC, Hellshade. Others are welcome to try it, too. As I said, the mod is about 98% complete.

It will take me awhile to put together a complete list of all of the changes I have made with this mod since there are so many, mostly small ones; but I will see what I can do.

Thanks HPW! No need to make a complete list of changes. Just a list of 5 or so most noticable changes. I'll give it a try as soon as possible. May not be tonight though.

Hellshade

Hellshade. Here is a list of major changes to the DM:

1) The revised DM represents a complete overhaul of the damage model, using information about airplane dimensions and specifications to develop baselines in order to establish appropriate hit points for each major component of every aircraft currently available in the HITR expansion to OFF. The correlation between the historical size and dimensions of each aircraft component and the number of hit points assigned to that component in the game has been adjusted so that this correlation in now postive, instead of negative, as it is in many cases in OFF currently.

2) Each class of aircraft in the game now has a unique number of hit points assigned to each major component currently modeled in the game. For example, in the standard HITR installation, each airplane with the exception of four, has 48 hit points assigned to the rudder. In the revised DM, hit points for the rudder of each aircraft range from 42 for the Albatros DII to 54 for the DFW CV, corresponding to the size, in square feet, of the rudder for each aircraft.

3) Engine hit points have been adjusted so that the average aircraft engine has approximately 5% more hit points and correlates roughly with engine size or displacement. In addition, engine hit points now do not necessarily directly correspond with the chances of an engine catching fire. In the standard HITR installation, most aircraft are "set" to catch fire when 75% of their engine hit points have been used up. This percentage has been adjusted in most aircraft so that some will now catch fire when a smaller percentage of hit points have been used up, while others will only catch fire after a higher percentage of hit points have been expended. The overall result should be somewhat more durable engines and longer and more dangerous dogfights. Fewer aircraft (including your own) should suffer from an immediate loss in engine performance after only a very short, early burst of fire into the front of the plane.

4) Overall changes include stronger wing roots with somewhat weaker wing tips, resulting in fewer catastophic wing failures but aircraft with substantial control difficulties, i.e. you may be able to still fly, but landing becomes a bigger challenge; slightly decreased chance of crippling aileron control cable hits; slightly reduced hit points, on average, for ailerons, rudders, and elevators; and increased hit points, on average, for horizontal and vertical stabilizers.

5) Numerous other tweaks to take into account time period of service, overall aircraft reputation for durability or weakness, notable structural problems in various aircraft (weaker lower wings in Albs, for example), as well as overall game balance.

6) Fully compatible with JoneSoft's Generic Mods Enabler (JSGME), an easy to use mods management program that installs into your main CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields game folder. JSGME ensures that any mod, including this one, will not make any permanent or unreversable changes to your standard game installation.

Excellent work and description sir! I'll get to work on it this weekend. Thanks for all that you do.

Hellshade

You are most welcome, Sir!

I have an updated version for you. This new version strengthens the elevators of most planes and makes the chances of fire a little higher. I find that the aircraft tend to fly better and fight longer with slightly strengthed elevators. There are a few other minor changes, as well.

I think I am almost done with my tweaking and will now work on converting the mod so that it works in the campaign. Unfortunately, this involves copying the .xdp file to the other 430+ aircraft folders, so unless I can find a shortcut, this will probably take more than a few days.

Hi

I have used your HPW_HITR_CampaignDM_1.0 in my BHaH installation about a month now and all works perfectly. I only removed the new HITR aircraft files and then added the new DM-files to my BHaH installation. So it's no problem to use the DM also with BHaH. :biggrin:

Thanks for all your work on the DM - very much appreciated!

S!

vonOben

The new DM is almost ready. All I need to do now is write the readme file and installation directions. Also, I strongly recommend that anyone planning to use this, or any mod, first download and install JSGME. Believe me, it makes loading and unloading mods a snap and dispenses with the need to manually back up your game files.

The JSGME sounds like a good program. Idiot or Rickitycrate proof. I'll give your DM a try HPW and some of the other mods you generous types have made for us. :drinks:

JSGME is pretty easy to use, it gives you a MODS folder then you put your Name folder in that. Then you put the actual file you need it a folder called files so it will look like this

D:\Games\Microsoft Games\OBDSoftware\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields\MODS\HPWDM\Files\aircraft

or at least that is how I have it set up.

Beard

Guest British_eh

Hi there PW and all other's keen on this blog.

Although not flying too much, holidays, and summer stuff, DEJ has been working diligently with me on Survival In the Air additions. More Pilot/Aircraft Primers will be forthcoming in September.

At that time the Workshop settings will also be addressed. In preliminary discussions with PW, I am keen on the idea of incorporating his work in producing settings/mods that will most closely represent what historical research shows us what was "Realistic". This would cover aircraft performance and many of the variables in the Sim. Feedback on PW work will greatly assist me in putting together "Realistic" settings. The main thrust for my pusuit of this is DiD is the only setting which is generally accepted, but isn't for everyone, and may not stand up to scrutiny of historical research.

Cheers,

British_eh

All right, everyone. The DM is done, uploaded, and now waiting approval by the board moderators, so should be available later tonight.

I could contine tweaking until the cows come home, but I think the DM is ready for release. You can find a complete readme and installation instructions in the downloads forum.

In addition to all of the changes I describe in the readme, probably the most significant change in this DM over stock is that most aircraft (but especially two-seaters), are more resistant to minor damage. While shots to the engine or pilot are even more important in order to bring down either a scout or two-seater, early damage to the engine is less likely to result in an immediate loss of performance. The result, hopefully, should be longer and more dangerous, dogfights.

While I have done my best to make a DM that is both historical and fair to both Allied and Entente players, no DM is "perfect." Please direct any comments or criticisms to me at this forum, and I will do my best to answer or address your concerns.

Thank you, everyone, for your support. I enjoyed making this DM and look forward to hearing your experiences with the new DM.