Sign in to follow this  
Rugbyfan1972

Question about TrackIR

Hi,

I am seriously considering buying track ir 5, but I would like a couple of questions answering before I take the plunge and buy it.

As I am virtually blind in my right eye, I would like to know how many degrees you have to move your head to look behind you, as when I move my head to the left I can only move it so far before losing sight of the screen (probably less than 30 degrees)?

Could someone please also answer the question for the vertical movement?

Also can any UK OFFers recommend a cheap place to buy Track IR 5 + trackclip, the cheapest I have seen it for is £139.95 at rcsimulations.

Thanks

Rugbyfan1972

Track IR has easily configurable profiles so it can be adjusted to overcome your problem. With a bit of said configuration I can 'see' behind me with a head turn of about 20 degrees, if I turn my head rapidly. That's a bit more than is practicable for me as I end up 'looking' behind my plane when I'm actually snatching a look at my X52 throttle :grin: . Point is, though that it's configurable and doesn't have to be symetrical, so you could have different movement ranges for left vs. right or up/down.

I appreciate your doubts about 'taking the plunge'. I'm still using TIR 3 with the vector expansion, it's so good that I've never had cause to upgrade. My son picked it up for a few quid in a 'Cash Converters' type place. Have a look on eBay.

Dej,

Thank you for your response, I didn't realise that you could configure it to that extent, I have looked on ebay, but have been burnt nearly every time I have bought something elextrical from there, so I am aiming to but from a british retailer who is selling it for new. I have checked on ebay and can see one trackir that is being sold in the uk, but it is a used one. The others ones that are on there are both being shipped from the USA so I would have to pay customs duty on them which may make them more expensive than the one rcsimulations is selling.

While I appreciate Dej's response I would like to hear what other people think about trackir as well before I take the plunge.

Also Dej, I like your "Pride of the Commonwealth" signature.

Thanks

Rugbyfan1972

Trackir is essential for flight sims, IMHO. I don't fly without it.

Be careful if you are thinking of buying used. Trackirs exist from trackir 1 thru to trackir 5,

ONLY trackir 3 Pro with vector expansion, or trackir 4 or trackir 5 will work with CFS3 and therefore OFF.

To remove any doubt , best buy new. RC simulations is a good retailer.

Trackirs exist from trackir 1 thru to trackir 5,

ONLY trackir 3 Pro with vector expansion, or trackir 4 or trackir 5 will work with CFS3 and therefore OFF.

To remove any doubt , best buy new. RC simulations is a good retailer.

I'd forgotten that, good point FB. I bought my vector expansion from RC Simulations and they were very helpful. Also, the general consensus around here (there was a thread about it) seems to be that you only need the trackclip that goes on your hat, not the pro thing that goes on your headset... which saves a little money, I think.

Glad you like the sig, Rugbyfan. It's not to say that Commonwealth members didn't give service to be proud of in other areas though, of course.

Edited by Dej

Rugbyfan, you can adjust EVERYTHING in TrackIR5.

- the real head movement angle it needs to check full six can be made wider or more narrow;

so you could check six even with only 10° head turning, if you wanted

- the speed and smoothness, with which all happens

- you can "mirror" all diagram curves, or you don't, and adjust one side different to the other

Once you have got used to TrackIR, you would never want to miss it again.

Edited by Olham

I've had a TrackIR 4 for 2-3 years now & I've been very happy with it. T

t can be a bit sensitive to bright natural light from behind you but otherwise best bit of kit I've ever bought.

You should easily be able to configure it for your needs. :good:

Speaking of trackIR. I haven't ordered mine yet. I have heard it is sensitive to glare. I wear glasses and can't see well without them. I cannot wear contact lenses due to scared corneas. Anyone have trouble with reflection from glasses interfering with the TIR's?

GHunter, glasses are not the problem.

Light behind you would be. Or light behind the monitor, reflecting too strong from your

glasses could also be. But you just don't put light sources there, and it's wonderful!

It isn't cheap, but I never regreted a single penny from the price they charge.

You are in the cockpit with full view around!

Gonna get it for sure now. So I can fly a Snipe next to Widowmaker...................................

Bordeauxred Baron:

"Doo zatt! Two targetz are better zan won! Shredderink der Snipe - oh, der excitement!!!"

Don't debate about buying Track IR, once you get used to it you'll wonder how you flew flight sims without it.

I ordered Track IR3 Pro with the vector thingy and drove 8 hours to pick it up. You will LOVE it, and yes I also wear glasses, blind as a bat without them.

Guest British_eh

Oops, should I be odd man out? Well, I've tgot TIR 5, Pro Clip, and yes, it is good.......................... However, in an actual dogfight, I always switch back to the Hatswitch to fire my machine gun as I can't get used to firing with the TIR in place. This seems to work well, well, mostly well, um....poor grammar, but......I then switch back to locate the blighter, if I lose him on the Hatswitch. After using it for 2 years I've just figured out a profile that works. Must be just daft or something, but now it seems to work quite well.

Cheers,

British_eh

British_eh, you can adjust almost anything, like "speed" or "smoothness", to get it right.

For aiming and shooting, I recommend to put two commands on joystick buttons:

- "Center" command will center your view forward each time you press it

- "Precision" command will appear like you stiffen up your body and neck;

you can't look around fast anymore, but you can aim much better

Hi,

Trackir 5 arrived today, after some faffing around I have fixed the camera to the monitor using bluetack, as the stand has the magnet set at a 30 degree angle (approx), which on my TFT monitor I am unable to make the camera stand up vertically (the camera faces down at approx a 30 degree angle when on the stand, and placed on a flat surface).

Could anyone else with Trackir 5, please let me know what angle the magnet on the stand is set at when the base is placed flat on a surface, as looking at the picture in the quick start guide the magnet on the base should be horizontal.

Thanks

Rugbyfan1972

Well, as you know I don't have TIR 5, but doesn't the magnet on the stand pivot in the front-to-back plane? Might be a little stiff but it sure looks as if there's a pin from side-to-side which would allow that... indeed it would be pointless if you couldn't angle it.

Well, as you know I don't have TIR 5, but doesn't the magnet on the stand pivot in the front-to-back plane? Might be a little stiff but it sure looks as if there's a pin from side-to-side which would allow that... indeed it would be pointless if you couldn't angle it.

Dej,

Thank you again for you help and assistance, both myself and a friend had tried to move the magnet, but it was so stiff we were afraid to apply too much pressure for fear of snapping/breaking the mounting.

We have just tried to move it again after reading your post and it is now moving fairly freely. I can only assume the heat from the monitor has somehow freed it up in the mounting, or that the pin was originally stiff on the inside.

Thanks

Rugbyfan1972

Could someone let me know if trackir 5 has a default game profile for BHAH as I cannot see one on my new trackir (using trackir_5 final.b drivers)

And if it does not could someone please supply me with an idiots guide to configuring BHAH as I have read the manual and am struggling to set up a profile.

I am using windows 7 64 bit if this helps.

Thanks

Rugbyfan1972

Rugbyfan1972, start with the generic "smooth" profile and see how you like it. That is the one I've gone back to after a fair amount of fiddling over the last year or so.

Cheers!

Lou

Nothing to do with TrackIr really, but I wore glasses from the age of 7 until 58. I was very short-sighted. As of about 45 I ended up having to wear very expensive multi-focals. Then my eyesight deteriorated suddenly (by about 2 diopters in my left eye), and I found I had cataracts, which are quite common here where there is a lot of sunlight. So I had the op, both eyes now have plastic lenses inside and I can see perfectly long-distance without glasses for almost the first time in my life. The down-side is that I need glasses to read and to use this computer, but they cost next to nothing and I have about 10 pairs scattered around the house.

If I had known of this I would have had the operation done many years ago. Being able to drive and swim and generally operate without glasses or contact lenses is wonderful. Needing cheap reading glasses is not a problem.

Sorry about this OT post......

Rugbyfan1972, start with the generic "smooth" profile and see how you like it. That is the one I've gone back to after a fair amount of fiddling over the last year or so.

Cheers!

Lou

Going a bit past my generic ability to help now, but assuming it has not changed from TIR 3, you'll want to assign the Smooth profile Lou suggests (with which I concur) to a game title so that TIR loads the profile when it detects the game. Again, unless it has changed, the game you want to select for BHaH is CFS 3. Section 5.8.2 of the manual shows you how to assign a profile to a title. See how that works for you and if the issue with your eye posses a problem then you'll need the curve editor... but you may well not.

Good vision means so much - must have been like getting new born a bit.

For some reason when I select CFS3 in the trackir 5 software and then open BHAH it shows as no title is running, I have tried the same thing in Test Drive Unlimited and it shows as running in the trackir 5 software.

I am using the Ubisoft CFS3 DVD to pull the necessary files for BHAH when it is installed, could that be the problem or is there a deeper problem with my trackir 5 software.

Thanks

Rugbyfan1972

Rugbyfan, if you like, you can try my profile for OFF here.

Just go to Programs > NaturalPoint > TrackIR 5 > profiles

and throw it in there after unzipping.

Then start TrackIR, choose "Olham OFF" and click "exclusive".

You can still make a copy by clicking on the copy button, and modify that then.

Edited by Olham

Rugbyfan, if you like, you can try my profile for OFF here.

Just go to Programs > NaturalPoint > TrackIR 5 > profiles

and throw it in there after unzipping.

Then start TrackIR, choose "Olham OFF" and click "exclusive".

You can still make a copy by clicking on the copy button, and modify that then.

Olham,

Thank you for your kind offer, I have downloaded the file and will try it tomorrow and let you know if it works (fingers crossed).

If I am still having problems, is it ok if I pick your brains further?

Thanks

Rugbyfan1972