Sign in to follow this  
Hellshade

New Nvidia drivers out - 258.96

New Nvidia drivers are out and seem to be some minor improvements. Cloud popping in and out seems almost (not totally) eliminated in OFF. Also, it seems to be able to handle more planes in the sky without stuttering and even cranked up the textures a little bit for me.

These are the Win 7 64 bit ones.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-258.96-whql-driver.html

Might be worth a try. No issues here yet.

Hellshade

Thanks for the headsup Hellshade - I seem to install new driver for something everyday :D

Have they now fixed the mirrors reflection missing and the cockpit glass non reflective bugs?

It appears not sir. Sorry. But the good news is that I'm still adjusting the various settings that improve visual quality upwards bit by bit and yet I'm still getting considerably smoother performance than I was before with large numbers of planes in the sky. It used to be when I did a 6 v 6 Quick Combat and the two sides met there would be a brief one or two second stutter while the video card got it's little world together. No such thing now, even on higher settings. Anyone else who has loaded these new drivers up and tried them having similiar experiences?

Hellshade

I'm not sure what kind of performance other folks are getting out of these drivers, but I heartily recommend them. I'm getting smoother performance at higher settings. I installed them directly over the last Nvidia drivers I had, without even uninstalling the old ones. They work great.

Hellshade

Hellshade, I installed them last night myself and noticed an improvement in "smoothness" over a lot of terrain and in large dogfights. I also tried the install method you described and have had no issues with them at this point, (I normally use a driver cleaner but thought I would try the simple approach one more time to see if I could get the results others have claimed doing it this way, and so far so good). I flew two missions with my latest campaign pilot Paul Blum in the Alsace. In one mission we had four Rolands fighting off six Nieuport Bebes over the mountains on a bright, sunny day. Graphics were crisp yet smooth, and TrackIR worked beautifully, (not that it was bad before, mind you).

I am quite pleased with the new drivers and also recommend them.

Cheers!

Lou

I installed them last night, and alas it ate my Configoveride.xml file (but I had it saved). I had a little trouble getting it up but managed. I did not have a chance to tweek everything so I will do that today and see how it works. Initially it seems a little gerky where the last drivers did not.

On another note I am still running XP32 (pro) with a 260GTS and the mirrors and reflections show up fine. I also noticed when pulling up the Control Panel and setting preferences for the game in the 3D manager there seems to be more choices than there were with the last drivers.

Beard

I installed them last night, and alas it ate my Configoveride.xml file (but I had it saved). I had a little trouble getting it up but managed. I did not have a chance to tweek everything so I will do that today and see how it works. Initially it seems a little gerky where the last drivers did not.

On another note I am still running XP32 (pro) with a 260GTS and the mirrors and reflections show up fine. I also noticed when pulling up the Control Panel and setting preferences for the game in the 3D manager there seems to be more choices than there were with the last drivers.

Beard

Yup - me to :good:

post-15340-019927100 1280517250.jpg

post-15340-062937900 1280517256.jpg

Running Windows XP Pro 64 here, and the mirrors and reflections have always worked fine for me as well.

Installed and tested in Win XP32bit on OFF, PTO, MAW, and ETO and there seems to be no change or improvement in anything whatsoever on my system. Yes, reflections work fine in XP, it's a nvidia problem in Win 7. It's funny that they can't fix it.... or don't care to?

Maybe you need to install DirectX9 too Winston. DX11 emulates DX9 but maybe that's why other people see reflections.

I'm sure they don't give a wet slap about us so if there is an issue I doubt they'll fix it unless lots of people have it and let them know.

Maybe you need to install DirectX9 too Winston. DX11 emulates DX9 but maybe that's why other people see reflections.

I'm sure they don't give a wet slap about us so if there is an issue I doubt they'll fix it unless lots of people have it and let them know.

No, reflections work fine for me under WinXP. I'm just interested in this shortcoming for the Win 7 users and the fact that nvidia chooses not to address it.

No, reflections work fine for me under WinXP. I'm just interested in this shortcoming for the Win 7 users and the fact that nvidia chooses not to address it.

It doesn't much matter to me. By the time an enemy airplane is lined up directly behind me to show up in the mirror, he's already firing. But for those blessed souls braving the heavens of OFF without a TrackIR...God be with you if this little blind spot doesn't get fixed.

Hellshade

I'm on XP 32..and installed the drivers before this lot..so think I'll hold fire for now

I'm on XP 32..and installed the drivers before this lot..so think I'll hold fire for now

Both of my PCs are XP 32 (dumped Vista - way to flakey). I've today installed these drivers to my work station, which has an old Nvidia GT6600, and the performance seems to have been tweaked, even on that card.