Sign in to follow this  
TrollBreath

CFS3 Constant Crashes

Well, I got my disk last night and immediately installed it. Of course, even after downloading the patches, the game would crash once it entered flight mode. CSF3 had been working fine prior to this, but after OFF kept crashing I attempted to play just a straight CFS3 game and it crashed, too, which it never did before.

So, here's what I did:

1. Uninstalled OFF and CFS3 completely, removed all files. Rebooted.

2. Reinstalled CFS3. Made sure to patch it up to the latest version (3.1a)

3. Updated DirectX (because you can never be sure what was causing the crashes).

4. Ran CFS3 and did a few quick combat missions in the P-47 without any crashes.

5. Install OFF. Patched it up to the latest versions including the mini-patch.

So I can get the OFF menu program up and running, and often it won't even crash when the CFS3 engine does. The CFS3 crashes are random, at different times and stages of a mission. Sometimes immediately after start up... sometimes I fly for a while before it happens.

The following is the crash information as reported by MS Vista (I freaking HATE Vista, I wish I still had an XP system):

Application Version: 3.1.0.30203

Application Timestamp: 3e3ebe85

Fault Module Name: CFS3.exe

Fault Module Version: 3.1.0.30203

Fault Module Timestamp: 3e3ebe85

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 00119a27

OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 8653

Additional Information 2: f3f9f71fd18d9979856a8df1581f9ac5

Additional Information 3: 7d7c

Additional Information 4: 74b1cec4f5ffc930b2e51d56da898efc

Any thoughts from the devs on this? Anything I missed? I thought I was pretty thorough and careful with all the installation instructions given on the FAQ.

Ok, here's where I'm at:

I've set the resolution and all graphics settings to their extreme low. I have now removed all crashing from the game, however, it looks like total dog spit. Trees are black boxes with white graphics, the ground is big swaths of simple colors, etc. Of course, that's to be expected. I'm going to slowly tweak things upwards and see where I end up.

So much for that theory. It worked because the graphics were set for "safe mode". That's why the textures were so bolluxed (and why there was no sound in combat). As soon as I took it off safe mode, even at the lowest graphic settings, it crashed again.

I guess I'll update the video drivers and see if that has any effect. I am SOOOOO going to get this game to work!!!!!! :-)

I am happy to report that after new drivers were installed, and the CFS3 config file reset, it now appears to be crash free (albeit during a short five minute flight). I have to head out to work now, but will look forward to many hours of flying and crashing later today (fingers crossed).

TB, don't forget to set admin privileges in offmanager.exe and cfs3.exe.

Without it OFF will crash in Vista and Win7.

http://overflandersf...#Vista_Specific

Here a little FAQ, written by uncleal, shows how to install OFF.

Install Order:

1. If you have older CFS3 CDs, assume that they are version 3.0. If so, install CFS3, and patch it to 3.1 . Then run the game briefly. In order to be sure everything is running properly, fly QC with the P47

Note: Many newer CFS3 CDs (e.g., bargain version recently offered by Best Buy) are already 3.1. If you own one of these, you DO NOT have to install CFS3 first, but need to have the CDs

ready when you install BHAH.

2. Install BHaH from DVD. Insert CFS3 CDs when asked (if using CFS3 v3.1). Note: BHaH is only available on DVD, no downloads.

3. Download and install BHaH SuperPatch v1.32, followed by MiniPatch v1.32g (found here: http://www.overflandersfields.com/Downloads.htm)

4. Download and install HiTR (purchase info here: http://www.overfland....com/Addon1.htm) Note: available only by download.

5. Download and install HiTR MiniPatch v1.47 (available here: http://www.overflandersfields.com/Downloads.htm)

After you install as per out lined, you should set up as per the FAQ http://www.overfland...on_and_settings

And of course the video card http://overflandersf...on_and_settings

Edited by Von Paulus

Okay best advice to you at present is make sure everything is up to date...

Vista.... :shok::bomb:

Thanks for the replies, but updating the vid drivers and so forth seems to have licked the crashes. Having fun just trying out some Quick Combat missions for the being, just to make sure she's shaking out thoroughly before I start a full campaign.

Thanks for the replies, but updating the vid drivers and so forth seems to have licked the crashes. Having fun just trying out some Quick Combat missions for the being, just to make sure she's shaking out thoroughly before I start a full campaign.

Sure,

But check if it is running as administrator; it might seems that's ok, but it will blow up most certainly in any time, without it.