Sign in to follow this  
Pips

For Camel Lovers

There's a fascination I have for the Camel which I just can't shake. Looks are part of it (although there are far more appealing WWI aeroplanes), as is it's impressive combat record. I think what holds my awe the most though is it's unforgiving flight reputation ...... "She answered readily to intelligent handling, but she was utterly remorseless against brutal or ignorant treatment"; Norman McMillian, 45 Squadron Camel pilot.

I love coming across pilot's first hand comments. One of the best is by Frank Tallman, who owned and flew an original F.1 back in the late '60's. His comments are here: http://combatace.com/topic/37648-great-war-historical-archive/page__st__20 Post number 34.

Another really good description is by Richard King, who flew the brilliant replica with the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome. His put his thoughts on paper in the August 1998 issue of Flight Journal. Find it here:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3897/is_199808/ai_n8823870/?tag=content;col1

Aaaah Pips, I'm with you Sir. The Camel has been and will always be my favorite plane of the Great War. I had the rare opportunity to slip into the cockpit of a beautiful, museum quality, airworthy replica that was in for repairs at the Shuttleworth Collection at Old Warden way back in 1975. I sat in that wonderful kite for well over an hour before I had to climb back out, (after several very polite requests by one of the workers). I can only imagine what it must have been like to actually fly one of those temperamental yet incredibly agile war birds.

:drinks: I found Two on Camels

There are actually 3 varieties of the type of camel seen in that second video.

The first is known as the "Dromedary". These are the ones that are most common and only have one hump.

The second type, which has two humps, but is much less common, is known as the "Bactrian" camel.

The third type is extremely rare, and has absolutely no hump at all. He's known as "Humphrey".

Bordeauxred Baron: "Vott vould I doo wizzout der Camelz - I love zem - vizz mustard! Mmuahahahahahahaaaaaa!!!!!!"

UncleAl sent me a PM with this link he wanted to bring to your attention.

A good one with some emotion.

You may have wondered, why we don't see UncleAl posting recently.

Well, he seems to have had an argument with one of the admins of the forum, and so

he got banished. I hope, it's only for a limited time, cause I would miss him here.

Admins, whoever had the pleasure of having an argument with UncleAl - please make it

a limited time decision, so one day we will have him back here.

We all know his ridgeback temper and sometimes rough communication.

But he's an honest chap, I believe to have experienced.

"We all know his ridgeback temper and sometimes rough communication.

But he's an honest chap, I believe to have experienced."

Seconded.

He may be curmudgeonly and rather too abrupt for his own good, but I would like to point out that the last time I had a (political, of course) disagreement with him, he was sensible and measured about it and PM'ed me directly to continue the dialogue, rather than do it on a forum where we should be talking about WWI. That's hardly the sign of a man who is too difficult for the mods to allow on here.

So, I will be pleased to welcome him back to the forum.

:lol: I can agree with the admins However , an honest and sensible man, who is measured in his anger is a cut above the rest. I also

would ask the powers that be for a limited banishment.

I too enjoy crossing swords with the reprobate...let's hope he's back soon

There are actually 3 varieties of the type of camel seen in that second video.

The first is known as the "Dromedary". These are the ones that are most common and only have one hump.

The second type, which has two humps, but is much less common, is known as the "Bactrian" camel.

The third type is extremely rare, and has absolutely no hump at all. He's known as "Humphrey".

I found a little known 4th Type of Camel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpYMSU6ihn0

I too enjoy crossing swords with the reprobate...let's hope he's back soon

i agree...he's given me h*ll a time or two, but I can't say I'm any the worse for it.

i agree...he's given me h*ll a time or two, but I can't say I'm any the worse for it.

I'm with BD....Al's annoyed the piss out of me on more than one occasion. Never once offended me to the point where I couldn't read vetween the lines, do a double take, and then understand his "real" intentions though.

Sometimes it's all about perception; Not so much about what's been said.

I say cut him a bit of slack....

Cheers,

Parky