Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

Have Others Had This Much Alsace Air Activity In 1916?

Greetings All,

As some of you already know, my latest DiD campaign is with Paul Blum of FFA 48, flying the Walfisch, (a great 2-seater to fight in BTW). It began on 30 April, 1916, and it is now 4 June, 1916. In that amount of time Paul and his gunner Karl Weimerann have shot down 18 Nieuport Bebes from two different escadrilles, ten of which are now officially credited, (as of 3 June 1916), five others denied, and three pending. Our recce and arty spotting flights are being bounced at least 70 percent of the time by the pesky French flyers, and while this makes for exciting times it does seem a bit extreme in terms of historical aspect. Keep in mind I have air activity set for "light" and AI aggresiveness set at "historical", and I do not use any aids in order to try and locate the EA, (apart from EyeBall 20-20). I also do not go diving into fights unless absolutely necessary as I am attempting to follow mission plans whenever possible to keep things more accurate. But even at that several of the Nieuports will often climb up and engage me despite my wingmen being lower and battling it out with other EA. And this is all going on in the Alsace in the first half of 1916. Just seems a bit too much in this AO for this time period of the War. Now, I am not complaining mind you, but I am wondering if others have noticed this much action in a similar setting.

Thoughts?

Lou

Hi Lou,

Apparently, Jasta 4 operate in July 1915 near Douai, if my TAC is to believed, and in groups of a dozen or more!

Obviously, It's more or less impossible to absolutely reproduce the units and tactics of all combatants in WWI in the air, but it seems to me that the early period still needs work, as one shouldn't be meeting Nieuports in the number that you do that early, and neither should I run into a Jasta in 1915, and certainly not Fokkers except as singletons, pairs, or in extremis, in threes.

Also, it points up the fact that there are still issues with the AI with regard to attacks - particularly initiating them but also breaking off combat when it's all gone tits up, as it so often does. Crack those issues and you have a game that is probably brighter than most of the people playing it!!

Cheers,

Si

yes, the air activity has been intense. I can only guess that since Verdun and the Somme battles are in full swing by July of 1916-- that the game makes it very active all across the Western Front.

although there was considerable bombing activity on behalf of the French in 1916-- so while it might not have been lots of scouts-- that sector should be swarming with Farmans as they launch attacks into Germany and occupied France. I have no problem with the level of activity-- it's just that the French two-seaters that would have been active in large numbers in this sector just aren't modelled in the game yet.

well, that and the Lafayette Escadrille sorties I've flown at this time have been very eventful too.

Yes air activity is ramped up dynamically during major battles. As said before until every single plane that existed is there, it won't be perfect but the idea is there :)

Many thanks Si, WK, and Pol for the responses and information. As I said, I am not complaining a bit about having the added excitement. Only curious.

Cheers!

Lou

Didn't know it was so busy so early in 1916 - perhaps I should start a carreer round that time in Alsace!

Oh you should by all means, Olham. It's a lovely area: mountain vistas, picture postcard valleys, beautiful blue rivers. And I hear property is very affordable. I intend to retire there if I happen to survive the current altercation.

Raf Louvert, Theirs swarms of the sods around Alsace. Been flying Jasta 15 during the time period, the airfields are few and far between and no flat spots to land. On the other hand, the trees and valleys are nice to watch as U go down. :grin:

Lou, I know that the Alsace is beautiful - see my latest "screenshots".

I only didn't know, that there was so much activity so early on.

But I checked all Jasta down there, and they only have the Eindecker.

Perhaps we get early Fokkers or Siemens-Schuckert with P4.

That would open up a wide field of new early war carreers with more Jasta.

hee, hee...apologies to you Olham, I know you know that Sir. I was having a bit of fun with my last post, (as I am prone to do, and likely too often). Was just imagining what a 1916 real estate agent might be saying about the region to potetnial clientele.

Carrick, the scenery does provide a nice distraction as you're crashing, now doesn't it. I learned that a while back myself flying for N67, and if my luck runs as normal I imagine I'll be experiencing it again all too soon.

Carrick, just in case you need to land - roads along rivers or brooks are often plane enough.

I once had to use one in an Albatros D.II after getting shot up by very upset Nupes.

(I had destroyed a convoi - maybe it carried their wine supplies?)