Sign in to follow this  

Himalaya Terrain

Himalaya Terrain Updates, For SF2 Series (& SF/Wo*, too!)

I was unable to find the readme that came with Major Lee's original release, so this will have to suffice. This terrain was first released in 2004.

Some modifications and the like for Major Lee's Himalaya terrain, updating tileing, targeting, movements and suchlike. Designed for use in a Full-4 Merged SF2 install. It should, however, work just fine in standard unmerged installs, and with some editating, in all 1stGen series as well.

As stated above, this is the FULL terrain, with all internal objects needed. You simply need to unzip and install. Some new tiles have been added to make it look a bit more 'lived in', and several new target areas have been added (cause everyone needs someone to bomb...). All the inis have been updated, and a new Movements.ini created for CAS and Armed_Recon missions. This map also makes use of the LimitedNations and LimitedMissions statements for both sides, so you won't have any Anti-ship missions since the nearest ocean is like 1500+ miles to the south. You will also be extracting and editing the game's Nations.ini to add the new nation of Nepal. A new Nepalese ground unit is also supplied.

This terrain mod, while designed for SF2 merged installs, is easily back-dated for use in all 1st Gen SF/SFG/Wo* game installs at the 08 Patch Level. You'll just need to change the shader statments; instructions are below. No editing is necessary for the ground objects; other than having the guns and weapons for the infantry unit.

Also added are several new tiles, creating some cities, hills and mountains, rivers for the region, and filling in the Kathmandu valley with farms and fields. The northern, higher elevations (heading into Tibet and China), while having a city or 2, are still predominantly snow/rock fields. Some liberties have been taken with target placements, but they are named correctly, and more or less in their Real Life ™ locations. Give or take a few dozen kilometers, and several thousand meters in altitude. This terrain mod contains 2 of the highest altitude airbases in any mod ... fly accordingly!

It is ALSO highly reccomended you READ this entire document through before installing this mod. Especially the Notes section. If you don't, you're SURE to run into problems. And then, we'll clown on you. Hard and mercilessly.

Happy Landings!

Wrench

Kevin Stein

Hi Wrench, you couldn't find a "readme" because there wasn't one in the original zip... :no: Does SF2 draw the mountains above a solid cloud layer? In solid overcast, SF doesn't draw the mountain tops above the clouds, but they show up on TFR and they most certainly are there, just invisible... Great job with the update! :salute:

ML

you know, I totally forgot to test it with full overcast! (inclement) weather!!! But, I"ll be the clouds 'peak out' from the mountains ...

Thanks Ken, for the compliment!

wrench

kevin stein

you know, I totally forgot to test it with full overcast! (inclement) weather!!! But, I"ll be the clouds 'peak out' from the mountains ...

Thanks Ken, for the compliment!

wrench

kevin stein

Could you post a pic of mountains above the solid overcast...

Thanks

ML

actually, I went back and tested with overcast and inclement ... the mountains DON'T stick through, and Zonnga airport disappears in the clouds!!!!, leaving the airport bulidings and plane 'suspended in mid air'!! It just never occured to me there'd be a glicth.

Cloud top layer seems to end around 16000 feet (using the stock enviro stuff in SF2). I'll recheck Gya'gya too, and post some screenies later

wrench

kevin stein

Edited by Wrench

It's an old issue about the way and order in which things are drawn... TK knows about it, but this is probably the only map that can produce this issue... He said it would take some fancy rewrite to correct...

took the wrong screenie, but it shows an nice horizon line. but I CAN safely say that , yes the mountain tops ARE cut off by the clouds, don't stick through, BUT... you CAN run into the unexpected cumulo-granite layer. As I unfortunatly found out... to quote Duke Nukem "ooooohhh, that's gotta hurt!"

wrench

kevin stein

"cumulo-granite" :rofl:

Danged invisible rocks... :yikes: