Sign in to follow this  

I wonder if this is related to terrain tiles appearing "through" the clouds. I reduced the mesh setting in flightengine.ini and that corrected a similar problem with the terrain.

But even with that changed mesh setting enabled I still see this in the sky. Any idea why this happens?

post-26185-017935100 1280718234.jpg

That's not a tiled effect, but rather, either the horizon-color, or fog-color line. Ideally, the effect should result in a seamless transition from one color to the next, but differing light levels, sky height settings, and a desire (on the part of the developer) to create an ominous-looking stormy sky, often conspire to produce am immersion robbing effect like that.

EDIT: Upon further examination of the screen shot, I realized that it's an issue with 3D clouds topping out against the overcast cloud deck. The issue can be solved by lowering the overcast or inclement cloud altitudes so that they are completely below the overcast deck. The effect would then look something like this:

img00004.JPG

Edited by Fubar512

Fubar this blur effect from nozzles is photoshopped or is it mod?? Looks great.

Fubar this blur effect from nozzles is photoshopped or is it mod?? Looks great.

P-shop, unfortunately. 10% Gaussian blur.

Moving the 3D-clouds down works fine, but unfortunately they have to go so low to get the desired result they become buried in any mountainous terrain.

Isn't there a way to move the overhead tiles up?

I tried setting the skypanelheight up to 38000 (from 18000) to no avail. Any other ideas?

Got this figured out. Turns out, if you are trying to show significant 3D-clouds, you cannot eliminate this effect in overcast — only in overcast skies. Default settings in SF2:Israel almost eliminate 3D-Clouds completely. That's the default workaround. But you CAN cut it out 99% of the time. Above 3000ft AGL, you'll never see it and below 3000ft I got it to where it's extremely rare, not even seen unless you look in the right direction at the right second.

The answer wasn't the obvious one. Minimum design requirements pushed the envelope too hard for basic solutions. It's a combination of several different settings.

Thanks for trying anyway, Fubar. Here's the result...

gallery_26185_408_46129.jpg

gallery_26185_408_20300.jpg

Fubar, You got me all worked up for the Korea mod. I thought that was heat blur. Nice artwork but sad it's not an effect.

Edited by Squiffy

Fubar, You got me all worked up for the Korea mod. I thought that was heat blur. Nice artwork but sad it's not an effect.

One never knows what the future may bring... :grin: