Sign in to follow this  
tiopilotos

Limited target locked range

I have this problem with SARH missiles for both NATO and Warsaw Pact aircrafts. Sparrows, R-530, Super 530, R-23/24R, R-40R can be launched only in the minimum range of the boresight mode. For example F-4Es can fire Sparrows only above 5 nm. How can I extend the target locking range for SARH missiles?

I have this problem with SARH missiles for both NATO and Warsaw Pact aircrafts. Sparrows, R-530, Super 530, R-23/24R, R-40R can be launched only in the minimum range of the boresight mode. For example F-4Es can fire Sparrows only above 5 nm. How can I extend the target locking range for SARH missiles?

There is such a thing as a minimum effective range parameters for A2A missiles, and it can vary wildly within a given missile's family. AIM-7D sparrows, for example, had a minimum minimum range of 1500 meters (just short of a statute mile), while the later AIM-7E-2 and 3 variants would maintain lock well inside of that range.

The value that you're seeking (pun intended) is "MinLaunchRange=", and can be found in either that specific missile's entry in the weaponsdata.ini (you'll need the appropriate weapon editor in order to effectively change it), or, as is the case of a third-party wep, in that wep's data.ini. That file should be located in your thirdwire/ objects/weapons/"weapon name" folder. The latter requires nothing more sophisticated than wordpad to edit.

I encourage you to read Killerbee's thread on adding or modifying weapons, in the SF2 Knowledge base, before you try your hand at editing either file.

Guest rscsjsuso5

the f-4e should have a boresight target lock range of 50nm or above for sarh, scroll through the range for the boresight , it should be 5,10,50 or something like that , refer to the manual and kb(knowledgebase) to understand the keyboard commands. i get max 50nm for the f-4e .

The problem isn't the minimum range of the SARH missiles because I checked it out. In most SARHs minimum range launch was about 1500 and maximum range launch was 30000+. The problem has to do with aircraft's boresight mode. In SF 1 I didn't have this problem but I have it in SF 2. So, is there any way to extend the target locking range of boresight mode?

Lock up a target in boresight at 50nm? - you sure should be about 5 and you cannot cycle radar range in boresight mode by default. Even the stock F-15As boresight mode has a single range of 10nm only.

Master Joda-MigBuster got it obviously right hier.

A 5nm boresight lock range is deadly spot on. If you want to lock up to a target further away, you have to switch to a "full system lock on", i.e. cycling with the cursor in your radar screen through the detected targets, and then manually lock on = "illuminate" him with CW (countinuous wave). :bye:

BTW... you surely know this link:

http://combatace.com/topic/11165-radar-operation-guidelines/

POP QUIZ:

There's a bleedingly obvious, and as of yet, unmentioned (at least in this thread so far), reason for limiting maximum acquisition range in boresight mode. Particularly on older aircraft. Can anuyone tell me what it is? :grin:

cause the early missiles were dumber than dog-s**t???, and had limited, if any, manuvering capabilities?

wrench

kevin stein

Edited by Wrench

Does the word "boresight" itself perhaps provide a clue?

Edited by Fubar512

Beam went through pipper?

Does the word "boresight" itself perhaps provide a clue?

You wouldn't want to inadvertently lock onto a friendly aircraft far away that you didn't know was there (cuz you couldn't sight - I mean see - it).

and the fact that TK left out the IFF interrogator keystroke; which should be available on most aircrft from the mid-50; and definatly from the 60s on. Hell, even the old Janes ATF/USNF/FA series had that!

wrench

kevin stein

and the fact that TK left out the IFF interrogator keystroke; which should be available on most aircrft from the mid-50; and definatly from the 60s on. Hell, even the old Janes ATF/USNF/FA series had that!

wrench

kevin stein

The Thirdwire F-15s and F-16s all feature IFF display symbology (in TWS mode), Kevin.

true, but not a ACTIVE keystroke like the old Janes games. You'd lock up a radar target, the hit "I", and you'd get a beep back if it was friendly, or boop if enemy. Made it easier for BVR engagements; even if the weapons had ungodly accuracy and unbelievalbe PKs

Something like that in this game, however, might be consider at 'cheat' by some. But we know Phantoms (can't remember the exact mod to them), had something like that in SEA.

wrench

kevin stein

true, but not a ACTIVE keystroke like the old Janes games. You'd lock up a radar target, the hit "I", and you'd get a beep back if it was friendly, or boop if enemy. Made it easier for BVR engagements; even if the weapons had ungodly accuracy and unbelievalbe PKs

Something like that in this game, however, might be consider at 'cheat' by some. But we know Phantoms (can't remember the exact mod to them), had something like that in SEA.

wrench

kevin stein

Combat Tree.

The real answer to the "pop quiz", was "It's named boresight, because it acquires the target that you have bore-sighted in the combining glass."

One is not likely to see a fighter-sized target much beyond five miles or so. Even at that range, the likelyhood of distinguishing, say, a MiG-21 from an A-4 Skyhawk from a tail-on profile is slim and none, and I'll place my bets on the latter probability.