Sign in to follow this  
gerwin

Israel Addon - Merlin engines

I tried to read a little on this subject, but I find it hard to get some bits of information.

I am not sure if the description below is right regarding the engines:

-Egyptian Spitfire Mk IXc - Merlin 66 engine - guns: 2x20mm, 4x.303

-Israeli Spitfire Mk IXe [Clipped wings] - Merlin 66 engine - guns: 2x20mm, 2x.50

-Israeli P-51D - Packard V-1650 engine (based on merlin) - guns: 6x.50

In the datafiles the Spitfires both have 980595.5 thrust, the P-51D seems to have a higher value: 1111093.0

Then,

It seems the model in the game can also represent a Spitfire XVI with Merlin 266 engine, which is a US build merlin 66.

Unfortunately all other spitfire variants show differences with the game model.

Was the Spitfire Mk IXc or IXe also exported to the soviet union?, either way I use them over germanyCE this way.

Was the P-51D model in the game also used in korea? probably yes.

Was the P-51D model in the game also used in korea? probably yes

By USAF, ROK and SAAF forces.

Don't forget, the Spits are supposed to be AI only, so expect some discrepencies and "ease of createion" by using the same data for several models. The higher values on 'stangs may reflect the supercharger. Only TK can truthfully answer it.

Reccomended reading: SAM Modeler Data File: Merlin Powered Spitfires. Detials like you wouldn't believe!

There are litterly hundreds of sites scattered around the web for Spits and Mustangs ... including such esoteric things as NACA data on the Mustang's wings,

wrench

kevin stein

Required reading for prop modders:

"Report of Joint Fighter Conference NAS Patuxent River, MD 16-23 OCT 1944" published by Schiffer Military History...

"America's Hundred Thousand: US Production fighters of World War Two", by Francis Dean, published by schiffer

Both have hard data, comparative data charts, direct comparisons and written commentary by pilots who flew them individually or at the fighter conference for direct comparison...

Edited by Major Lee

Thanks for your replies, before I was mainly reading the wikipedia entries. I don't know wheter I will get my hands on these books, I actually did not intend to spend my entire evening reading on the subject in the first place.

This mornig I found references that state the Spitfire IXe was exported to the soviet union. In fact the israeli Spitfires are told to be ex-Czechoslovakian examples.