Sign in to follow this  
Creaghorn

Improved Effects trailersmoke

the previous posted no-tracer and withtracer effectfiles work quite well, but the trailersmoke effect file (the version where the bullets leave a trail of white smoke behind) was too unvisible.

JFM was so kind to send me a picture of Rudolph Berthold shooting trailersmoke bullets, thank you JFM! they are indeed very white and rather good visible. so i created an improved version of the effectfile where it matches the look in the pic quite good. it also takes a bit longer to fade away.

for anybody who wants to try it, here is the improved effectfile ready for download in the downloadsection (as soon as it's approved).

please first copy the original effectfile and paste it somewhere on your rig where it's save. then copy this effect version and paste it into

C:\OBDSoftware\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields

it's not an own creation though. i combined an existing OBD file with Rabu's version of smoketrail and tweaked it a bit. so credit should go to them.

Hellshade was so kind to make a short vid, so everybody can take a look at it before trying. please note that no matter which HD version you look at, youtube vids always have a loss of quality, so it's best to watch it fullscreen. in the sim it looks much better of course.

here it is

thank you hellshade! (btw. the last seconds are very breathtaking. good job)

original content are owned by OBD.

have fun

creaghorn

Thanx Creaghorn.

M

That looks great, with it maybe I will be able to aim the guns on an N28 :grin:

Beard

Brilliantly made, Creaghorn! Thanks, Hellshade, for the video, and Rabu for the original version!

I'll download it right now!

Does this use the original OFF tracer.dds files and not the ones that came with the previous improved tracer pack? Or can I just leave your previous modified tracer files in place and just replace the effects file?

Does this use the original OFF tracer.dds files and not the ones that came with the previous improved tracer pack? Or can I just leave your previous modified tracer files in place and just replace the effects file?

you don't swap any dds files. you just use the effect file. the file knows which dds file to use and which not. no need to swap the dds files around :salute:

Got it. Thanks Creaghorn!!

I notice that you mention smoke-trial and tracer both came into use around early 1917, so how best to decide which to use? Was this a pilot preference, or one was used by Germans and the other by Entente, etc. Any insight greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Creaghorn!

I was using the effectswithtracers mod along with my DM mod and really enjoyed the results--although I did increase the size of the tracers from .2 to .5

I didn't see smoke with the earlier version of the effectstrailersmoke, however, so I have downloaded the update and will try it tonight.

Well, I've got it all loaded up and I am getting tracers, but no trailer smoke....wonder if I did something wrong?

Beard

Got it. Thanks Creaghorn!!

I notice that you mention smoke-trial and tracer both came into use around early 1917, so how best to decide which to use? Was this a pilot preference, or one was used by Germans and the other by Entente, etc. Any insight greatly appreciated!

i can only say how i'm doing it, so it's not necessarily right. but from different literature and biographies etc. i know that the various bullets existed from the beginning, and for sure some individuals used them before, but common usage among airman began from 1917 on.

you can't emulate it correctly at the moment in BHAH, since you don't have the different bullets with the different problems. for instance the smoketrail bullets sometimes had a strange flying characteristic, since they were heavier then normal bullets, but with the smoke behind they got lighter during the flight, affecting the ballistic curve etc. also currently one bulletversion goes for you and the enemy. currently it's not possible for you to have tracers and the enemy have non visible etc. maybe p4?

also there are no incendiary bullets yet. usually one used incendiary bullets only for ballon or zeppelin hunt with a permission in the jacket for using them. if getting into captivity without it or if hunting other AC with incendiary bullets, then they had the right to shoot you. in later airwar the usage of incendiary for fighting AC was common.

to get it to the point. since the possibilities are limited currently, i do it like this. i use non visible till late 1916 or early 1917. then trailersmoke or tracers. but you can do it how you like. i think most people here would use only one type anyway, which they like best, without swapping effect files. but that's how i'm doing it

Well, I've got it all loaded up and I am getting tracers, but no trailer smoke....wonder if I did something wrong?

Beard

in the first ammo mod there are 3 effect files. one without anything visible, one with smoketrail and one with tracer bullets. since the version with smoketrail wasn't too good i made a new one.

so from the previous version you use only the version without anything visible or with tracers (with tracers is obviously what you have currently). if you want to use trailersmoke bullets, then DL the latest version and drop the effectfile into your OFF folder. that's it.

That is what I did.

Beard

did you extract the DL and drop the whole folder in the main OFF folder, or did you copy the effect file inside the folder and pasted it in the main OFF folder? because it works only if you do the latter one.

you copy the effect file, not the complete folder.

then you drop the effectfile into the main folder. it should ask you to overwrite the previous effect file (in win7 or vista you choose the first option at the top). that overwrites the previous one and then it must work. you'll see white smoketrails.

sorry if you did so already, but somewhere you must have made a mistake doing that, :good: .

Well, I finally got it sorted out. What happened I was installing it over one of the other effects patch (maybe no tracer or something) but not the stock one. I copied the stock effects file from MAW and installed it and checked it and was back to stock tracers. Then I saved it and installed the new file as per instructions, now it works as advertised.

Thank you very much.

Beard

Edited by Burning Beard

Sweet. I will have to give this latest mod a go as well I see. Thanks Creaghorn for the cool new/old effects.

Cheers!

Lou