Sign in to follow this  
Erik

China and Pakistan Push Chengdu JF-17 Fighter for Export

JF17.jpg

China and Pakistan Push Chengdu JF-17 Fighter for Export

By: Chris Pocock

In the same week that the Chengdu JF-17 Thunder combat aircraft made its international debut at the Farnborough airshow, the product of this co-development between China and Pakistan was offered to Indonesia. The Pakistan Defence Minister signed a defense cooperation agreement with his Indonesian counterpart in Jakarta. The list of countries that the Sino-Pakistan joint venture is targeting for sales is expanding fast: it reportedly also includes Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Congo, Egypt, Iran, Nigeria, the Philippines, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Turkey, Venezuela and Zimbabwe.

At Farnborough, joint-venture partners Catic and PAC described the JF-17 as a multi-role light fighter with an “outstanding performance-to-cost ratio.” The two aircraft on display were ferried to Farnborough but did not fly during the show, and officials were reluctant to allow journalists into the cockpit to view the three multifunction displays plus head-up display, HOTAS (hands on throttle and stick) and other avionics. The aircraft were shown with PL-5II IR-guided air-to-air missiles on wingtip rails and ferry tanks on the centerline and inner wing stations, leaving the outer wing stations unloaded. Mockups of five Chinese stores were displayed next to the aircraft: a C802A anti-ship missile; an SD-10A active radar-guided air-to-air missile; an LS-6 glide bomb; a WMD-7 targeting pod; and a KG300G electronic warfare pod.

Program officials said that a development JF-17 is now flying in China with a Chinese-developed engine, presumably the WS-13 Taishan. All other JF-17s are powered by the Russian-supplied RD-93 turbofan. On the eve of Farnborough, a Russian newspaper reported the opposition of Sukhoi and MiG director-general Mikhail Pogosian to a further sale of RD-93s to China because the JF-17 is competing with the MiG-29 for export sales. At the show, however, Russian officials, including Pogosian, played down this concern.

AINonline

I'm surprised to see the Philippines on that list. I thought they only operated western hardware.

Curious selling point of "performance-to-cost ratio." As in, "It's really no match for the Mig-29, F-15, F-16, F-18, but it costs a lot less than any of those."

Guest rscsjsuso5

the reason why Philippines is because the jf-17 is used for defensive purposes only. just think of it as between an f-5 and a f-16 . f-5 and jf-17 very close in pylons of at least 5 and so that is a clue of interest to buy from china. plus the flight dynamics.

well JF-17 is Awesome and very low cost Multi Role Fighter ...

JF-17 depend on Russian/Chine's And Pakistan Weapon's ....

BVR Air To Air Missile's

Laser Guided Missile's

Glass Cockpit

and mush more

just think of it as between an f-5 and a f-16 .

Actually, I do think of it as between the two airplanes. If the Philippines can't afford the F-16, why not go after the Mirage 2000? It was offered to them, I believe, and it's combat tested. The Mig-29 is also an excellent aircraft but I wonder if it's also outside of the Filipino price range.

I also agree that the Philippines are mostly likely to engage in defensive operations. I don't see them attacking anyone soon. But if they are placed into battle, and defending themselves, who are they most likely to be fighting against? And what are the offensive strengths of their most likely foes? They should purchase with that thought in mind.

Actually, I do think of it as between the two airplanes. If the Philippines can't afford the F-16, why not go after the Mirage 2000? It was offered to them, I believe, and it's combat tested.

Because as popular as the Mirage 2000 is, France/Dassault, in their infinite wisdom, shut production down early despite the still significant interest in the very capable plane. Brazil, India and several other nations would have selected them for their future needs. In fact, I do recall reading several statements over the past few years where the Indians have said they would have preferred the Mirage 2000-5 for it's MCA tender. For anyone wanting Mirages now, they have to buy them second hand all because it was considered a threat to Rafale sales. I think France/Dassault didn't just shoot themselves in the foot, they blew it clean off with this blunder and cost themselves significant future sales.

Then again, given the nature of the Air Support/Air policing roles, the JF-17 would fit that role very nicely. Still, of China's exports, I think it's got nothing on that sweet J-10!

I'm surprised to see the Philippines on that list. I thought they only operated western hardware.

Curious selling point of "performance-to-cost ratio." As in, "It's really no match for the Mig-29, F-15, F-16, F-18, but it costs a lot less than any of those."

I think the "western" versus "eastern" hardware debate is a thing of the past. Most of the nations mentioned in the initial post simply can't afford US or European made fighter aircraft (unless you're into some pre-owned planes :grin: ), and in the end that's all that matters. I could also state that some of these nations shouldn't even have money to buy any kind of fighter aircraft, but let's not get political here :tongue:

Edited by Gocad

I think the US is missing out on an opportunity. The Philippines formerly had good aircraft in the F-5B and F-8H. The low-cost F-20 would have been a fine solution for a lot of nations in need of combat aircraft. Unfortunately American politics completely got in the way of making money like it usually does and dropped the ball when we had a real money-maker in our hands.

Now the Communist Chinese, who are proving to be better at Capitalism than Americans, are trying to cash in on a golden opportunity that we let slip away. What concerns me is that even though China has the lead on us in producing tee-shirts to coffee-makers, we always had the lead in high-ticket military solutions, but now I can see that slipping away too.

The Philippines have been our friend for a long time. If they have to go elsewhere to find solutions because we ask too much, we may lose our friend.

Edited by ShrikeHawk

Because as popular as the Mirage 2000 is, France/Dassault, in their infinite wisdom, shut production down early despite the still significant interest in the very capable plane. Brazil, India and several other nations would have selected them for their future needs. In fact, I do recall reading several statements over the past few years where the Indians have said they would have preferred the Mirage 2000-5 for it's MCA tender.

True, the Mirage 2000 was in fact very close to being ordered directly from France instead of the MMRCA tender. That being said, as per reports, After flight evaluations, the Rafale & Eurofighter have been shortlisted by the IAF for its MMRCA requirements. F-18,F-16, MIG-35 and Gripen have been eliminated due to various political and technical reasons. So, unless Obama manages to convince the Indian PM to select the F-18(highly unlikrly after the sale of new F-16s and AMRAAMs to Pakistan to supposedly fight the Taliban/Al Qaeda Air Force :grin: ), we will soon be seeing the Rafale or Eurofighter in Indian colours.

Did someone actually suggest the Mirage 2000 was cheaper than the F-16?

Yup they did...

But why not the, from what I heard the JF-17 isn't that bad a plane. Its probably easier to maintain though possibly requiring more maintenence per flight hour than a western jet. Cheaper and until someone matches it up against an F-16 (aka the bellybutton seems everyones got one it used to be the Mig-21's byline) and I am sure thats going to happen soon with the Pakistani Air Force and the data is let out. Seems like a good deal also it does come without the western restrictions that are sometimes imposed.

Its like buying a VW or a Skoda why buy a VW for the price of a VW you can buy a new Skoda and you get all the toys with the Skoda... So the badge isn't too shiny (I am not being disrespectful there to anyone)...

Did someone actually suggest the Mirage 2000 was cheaper than the F-16?

My bad. I thought it was. Am I significantly off target?

If I remember rightly the F-16E/F model was punting at $26.9 million 2005. The C/D was about the same money or slightly vheaper as a Mirage 2000 $23 million in 2006...

I've never heard of a 2000 being that cheap. IIRC, India wanted more 2000s than it already had but declined because it was too expensive. Perhaps at the end Dassault increased the price to make the Rafale look good by comparison ie not much more?

I don't remember seeing exact price comparisons in same-year dollars, but countries like Greece that have both gave the impression they'd have bought all 2000s if they could have afforded it, but got F-16s to make up the gap when they couldn't. The UAE has both the latest 2000 and F-16 variants as well, but I thought they only got the F-16 because the 2000 stopped production.

go go go Taliban air force.