Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

Paul Blum's Story: A BHaH Pilot's Saga

Don't get me wrong, Ratatat - I do like the stories besides the actual flying and fighting.

I know Olham. I just couldn't resist having a bit of fun! I've been looking for an excuse to use that emoticon with the gatling gun for some time now! :grin:

Let's face it. We are all sentimental sorts here on this forum. After all, we are in love with old, rickety crates made of canvas, wood and wire - sporting bicycle wheels!

I bet even Uncleal is secretly a big softie! :blink:

Between you and me, like most good writers, I believe our friend Lou is slowing things down a bit so that he can shock us with some intense action and drama in the next chapter. The calm before the storm!

Prost! Olham - and to all who love a good story!

:drinks:

Ratatat

Ah RTT, yet another romantic in our midst I see. I do take some literary license with Paul's story in an effort to make it a bit more interesting, but I still allow the actual missions the sim throws at the young Allemander to determine the course of his saga. There were cold gray dull days in the lives of our Great War flyers, and white hot days of glory and death, and everything in between.

And I'll drink to your toast as well Sir, and most heartily! :drinks:

Greetings All,

The next installment of Ritter von Blum's saga has been added:

Paul Blum's Story

The young Leutnant had a busy day.

Enjoy!

Lou

As always great writing and masterful story telling. Thanks Lou I cannot wait until the next installment.

Thanks John

This is entertaining stuff as always, Lou. And not every pilot manages to stay alive so long. I had a couple of very long-lived fellows, but they all perished to limbo when my hard drive crashed for good. Now I don't have anything special, yet.

Keep up the good work! :drinks:

Very good fighting between two so different types of fighters.

I wonder how you like the heavier and quieter behaviour of the inline scout, after having been

the agile rotary man for most of the time before, Lou?

(One note on the German words: all subjects, and all objects like Kaffee, Brot, Marmelade and

Luftstreitkräfte would have capital letters.)

This made appetite for more, and also made me more afraid about Paul's life - this time,

he had impacts on his craft - and the line between life and death is a thin one.

Phew, that was a bit closer this time - you make me sweat for young Ritter Paul!

Hmmm... seasoned veterans eh? Sounds like Merkel and Halbig were seasoned enough to let Paul do most of the work. He'd best keep an eye on those two.

Great writing as usual, Lou. More of the same ASAP if you please.

Many thanks John, HW, Olham, and Dej for the kind words about my writings, I am glad you folks continue to enjoy the stories.

Hasse Wind, sorry to learn of the loss of all your pilots with the crash of your hard drive. I went through that myself some months back and it is rotten.

Olham, thank you for the information on the proper use of objects in German spelling, I will make those corrections and remember it for the future. Also, I find the steady quiet inline of the Alb to be an honest treat when compared to the hinky Allied rotaries. And yes, it was a close one today for Paul.

Dej, the problem Herr Blum is having is that he has yet to find a wingman of his own since being assigned to Jasta 16, though to be honest he is not looking too hard for one either, (issues with Karl's death and all that). Every flight he's had so far has been an odd number and as the leader he ends up the man out a partner as he takes it upon himself to let the others work together to build their own teams, and tends to fly alone in the role of the watchful mother hen. In the mission today however he had a moment of target fixation and was not nearly as watchful as he should have been. Hopefully this is a mistake not soon repeated. (Seriously, when those bullets went zipping through my wings it scared the living bee-jeebers right out of me!) :shok:

Edited by RAF_Louvert

Greetings All,

I've just posted the next installment of Ritter von Blum's saga:

Paul Blum's Story

Hope you all enjoy it.

Cheers!

Lou

:clapping: Very good , Lou - I enjoyed reading about the introduction of Paul's new wingman.

Many thanks TaillyHo. I'm hoping Leutnant Günther Ritter von Vogel will prove a good wingman for Paul. We shall see what Fate has in store.

Lovely detail about that meteor of Ensisheim, Lou, which really came down there.

I knew characters like Ritter von Vogel. Quite full of themselves, but often also very friendly.

We'll see how he will do. Opposites, as they seem to be, may complete each other.

Greetings All,

Ritter von Blum's latest letter home has just been added to the saga, and his new wingman is working out quite well:

Paul Blum's Story

Merry Christmas!

Lou

Lou, I finally got caught up with my reading and have to just say its better than the book I am reading at the present time. Thanks for providing some fine entertainment.

Thank you very much for the high compliment Ras, it is much appreciated Sir. I pen these entries primarily because I truly enjoy writing, but it is always a boon to the spirit to hear from readers that they are enjoying my work as well. Makes it just that much more fulfilling.

Cheers!

Lou

Many thanks Slarti, glad you are enjoying the read too. As to the "wrong" side; I've written a great deal from the British, French, and American viewpoints and I really wanted to dig into the German side of it from a more personal perspective. I've read much over the years about how Germany and it's people felt as if they were being forced into a War due to the actions and reactions of France, Russia, Britain, Serbia, Prussia, etc. I decided the best way to try and get into the mindset of Germany at the time was to simply write from the experience of a young German pilot. Since I do a lot of research when I write I've discovered just how deeply that nation felt it had no choice but to defend itself by striking the first blow before it's enemies were in a military position to overwhelm them. It can be argued from here until doomsday that it was Germany's leaders who pushed the country into war and sold the people a bill of goods to make it happen, but that does not change the personal belief most common folks had that their country's existence and their way of life was being threatened by outside forces. It's made me realize yet again how willing people are to rally to a cause if they believe it to be true and just. And they will fight to the death for that cause, firmly convinced God is on their side.

Lou, simply marvelous reading! I enjoy your writing style with the letters and reports, you come to know your characters like friends of your own. I can not wait for your next installment.

Thanks so much for sharing and Happy holidays to you and yours. John

Many thanks John, I appreciate your comments Sir, in particular as concerns the fleshing out of the characters. I keep striving to not only accurately chronicle Paul's missions in OFF but also draw the reader further into the young flyer's "life", as it were.

And Merry Christmas to you and yours as well.!

Lou

RAF_Louvert,

I am sitting here absolutely gobsmacked at the way young Mr Blum's story has drawn me in.

It is engaging, beautiful,sad and terrifying all at the same time exciting and inspirational.

Fantastic stuff sir.

The depths of character you are exploring with this 'life' is making my wait for my own disc to arrive almost bearable.

I finished the last entry with the feeling that I once had when I would read a book all night simply because I had to find out what would happen next. Simply brilliant.

So...what happens next?

Basler Brunsli?

Had to google that to find, that they seem to be almost the same as my "Berliner Mandelbrot".

Good stuff - both the cake and the story, Lou!

Thank you for the kind words, as always it is very good to know you folks are enjoying Paul's story. Olham, yes I do believe Basler Brunsli and Berliner Mandelbrot are quite similar. Smilingmonkey, your high praise may make me blush, however it warms me ol' heart to know the tale held your attention so well. I am back from the road now so I am hoping to add the next installment very soon.

Greetings All,

I've just posted the next installment of Ritter von Blum's continuing tale:

Paul Blum's Story

It was a mission with very unexpected results. Enjoy.

Cheers!

Lou