Sign in to follow this  
Creaghorn

Where's Uncleal?

Where is Uncleal? haven't seen him around for a while now. anybody knows?

• Like 1

Someone said that he had been banned for some transgression of the forum rules.

He sent me a private message helpfully answering a noob question I had posted. He's lurking about somewhere.

Hellshade

• Like 1

Yes I too, have been wondering where the hell is he.

I was going to post a similar post.

Edited by Von Paulus

He's been spotted over at the Quarter Moon Saloon as of late.

Edited by Cameljockey
  • Like 1

He was banned as far as I know. Something got out of hand and kaboom.

• Like 1

Al has always had a tendency to walk a bit of a tightrope when it comes to forum "rules". He can seem downright abrasive and pretty "political" at times with some of his posts. At other times, I can't even understand what the hell he's talking about and he's just a welcome source of amusement....lol. As I said earlier, he's managed to get under my skin a couple of times, but never to the point where I couldn't loosen up my interpretation of his intentions to the point where they seemed more or less acceptable. I don't think he ever really means any harm, regardless of how inappropriate his comments may seem at times (notice I said "seem".....because it's mostly about how we "perceive" what's been said, not so much about wether it exceeds acceptable limits or not). I have no idea what he did or said that "seemed" extreme enough to warrant a ban (if that's what happened), but we have to understand that the moderators in here have a job to do....and it can be a thankless job at that. From what I've seen so far, they do an outstanding job of keeping things within acceptable limits, so I certainly wouldn't second-guess their right to impose penalties where they decide penalties are due.

Having said that, Al has been a great contributor to these forums, both with his tips and tricks, as well as with his "well-intentioned" responses to people seeking answers to a variety of questions. Yes, I know.....sometimes the responses can seem a bit harsh. Sometimes they're just hard to decipher....lol. One thing I do know about Al though. If he walks (or wheels himself rather) out his front door, and runs over something brown and foul smelling that looks like s**t, then sees you leaving the area with your Wheaten Terrier, he's likely to look you in they eye and tell you your dog just s**t on his lawn. I've always admired that about him....

If there is a ban in place, hopefully it's temporary and can be lifted after a bit of a cooling off period. I for one, am already starting to miss the old fart.....

Cheers,

Parky

• Like 1

Hello,

can we sign a petition, to get him back ? :cool:

Greetings,

Catfish

• Like 1

If you check him out in the members list, his reputation number is -16. That may have something to do with it.

• Like 1

If you check him out in the members list, his reputation number is -16. That may have something to do with it.

Ahh.. interesting.. have never seen this before, and how do you know how many votes caused this reputation number.. where does it come from? I never really looked at it till now Do people actually vote negative votes against members.. how does this work?

• Like 1

Ahh.. interesting.. have never seen this before, and how do you know how many votes caused this reputation number.. where does it come from? I never really looked at it till now Do people actually vote negative votes against members.. how does this work?

Look in the bottom right of a post, there's a Green + and a Red - that allows you to voice your opinion on the post.

In the past I have recommended that people come here to participate in our forum and mentioned that it was a great place to get help. I stopped telling others to come here because Uncle Al would tear into them viciously for no good reason on their very first post. I lost a few online friends because of this. Maybe now I can spread the word again.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

Look in the bottom right of a post, there's a Green + and a Red - that allows you to voice your opinion on the post.

In the past I have recommended that people come here to participate in our forum and mentioned that it was a great place to get help. I stopped telling others to come here because Uncle Al would tear into them viciously for no good reason on their very first post. I lost a few online friends because of this. Maybe now I can spread the word again.

Well, Uncle, tends to not think sometimes, I know that.. gads, his political taunts drive me crazy, but.. look at all the good things he's done too.. he sort of reminds me of that strange, paranoid, delusional guy from the Red Baron days.. Von.. uh.. never mind. But, what would the forum be with out him? :grin:

Well I must be a bad boy too, I have a minus 1 rating. Wow, I didn't know that I've been posting things that piss people off (off, not OFF, no pun intended). Does -1 mean that one person doesn't like me, or that a bunch of people voted and I have a -1 rating? Either way, it hurts..

So, I guess I owe that one, or all those, that have given me the big negative a big apology.. unless I jumped on them for being ---1's, and in that case.. neaner.gif

• Like 3

I look forward to uncleal's return. Al if you read this God Bless you and take care.

• Like 2

His views can be somewhat annoying or downright bizarre for many people, and he certainly didn't know when to stop with the political stuff, turning many threads into bitter bashing of certain politicians (or should I say a certain politician), but it can't be denied that Al did post many helpful things regarding OFF. If he returns, it would be wise of him to forget the politics and just concentrate in enjoying OFF. I never had any problems with Al. :cool:

• Like 2

So, I guess I owe that one, or all those, that have given me the big negative a big apology.. unless I jumped on them for being ---1's, and in that case.. neaner.gif

I'll give you a green one to balance, Rabu.

You deserve to be positive.

As for uncleal, while I don't agree with him a lot of times and find sometimes his posts somehow harsh, I can't imagine this forum without him.

He has helped a lot of people here. If he received a green warning for each time he helped someone, I think his reputation would be positive.

• Like 2

I'll give you a green one to balance, Rabu.

You deserve to be positive.

As for uncleal, while I don't agree with him a lot of times and find sometimes his posts somehow harsh, I can't imagine this forum without him.

He has helped a lot of people here. If he received a green warning for each time he helped someone, I think his reputation would be positive.

Thanks, Paulus, I just gave you and about 4 others a "green" one, then got a message that I can't give any more "green" ones because I've "reached my quota for the day" ... I hope I don't get a "black" one for giving too many "green" ones.

:heat:

• Like 3

Thanks, Paulus, I just gave you and about 4 others a "green" one, then got a message that I can't give any more "green" ones because I've "reached my quota for the day" ... I hope I don't get a "black" one for giving too many "green" ones.

:heat:

If you get a black one, I think it means you've been banned from the entire internet. Let's hope it's only a red one.....:rofl:

Btw.....I was already a step ahead of you.....lol

Thanks Rob,

Parky

• Like 1

If you get a black one, I think it means you've been banned from the entire internet. Let's hope it's only a red one.....:rofl:

Btw.....I was already a step ahead of you.....lol

Thanks Rob,

Parky

Oh, darn, I really liked what you said and I immediately hit the green button and... dang.. got that quota message again, is this the same day?.. I thought it was tomorrow! ..been a long, hectic day at work, and now, a few pick me up libations and I'm all together again. Thank you sir!

drunk.gif

• Like 3

Oh, darn, I really liked what you said and I immediately hit the green button and... dang.. got that quota message again, is this the same day?.. I thought it was tomorrow! ..been a long, hectic day at work, and now, a few pick me up libations and I'm all together again. Thank you sir!

drunk.gif

You're getting confused, today was tomorrow yesterday.

I got to my second post.... not kidding. I just about gave it up here, but I realized he is only one person and not representative of everyone on the forum.

• Like 1

I got to my second post.... not kidding. I just about gave it up here, but I realized he is only one person and not representative of everyone on the forum.

Well, thank goodness for that, and we've no reason to doubt you at all.

However, I am curious. Would it be too much for us to ask you to link us up to your second post where he evidently felt compelled to " tear into you viciously for no good reason"??

I'm eager to see just how unacceptable and "vicious" his comments were, because typically, if I had have seen a post like that, I would have said something to him about it. I guess I must have missed it.

Cheers,

Parky

• Like 1

Hmm,

searching for chrispdm1 i did not find any posts of Uncleal being vicious or whatever.

I am certain that he deseves being banned if he did such bad things, however wold you please point out what you mean, unless you can be banned at this form for sheer hearsay ?

I only ask because he helped me a lot, even sent me graphic card from the US, to Germany.

Thanks and greetings,

Catfish

That might be tough to do sir. Generally on any forum where posts are deemed offensive or too inflamatory, they are removed since leaving them up tends to only continue to aggravate folks as they read them. As to Uncleal being helpful to members of this forum, that is without a doubt true. He and I had our own challenges from time to time, however they seem to have sorted themselves out of late. I hope it somehow all gets worked out. He's a good man at heart. Just ahs some strong feelings about certain things.

Hellshade

As far as I know, it wasn't anything he did here that got him sent to NoMansLand. He must have offended someone over at the Pub - I've looked and I can't see how he got himself into the doghouse, but he must have somehow.

dunno.

shredward

Chrispdm1,

Glad you decided to not give up...there are a lot of helpful people here, including Uncle Al. He has tried to twist my tail a few times, especially when he didn't agree with my technical advice, but I think his positive contributions outweigh the bad.

But, I remember the pain of getting severly flamed years ago in my first post on a fansite for Rowan's Dawn Patrol. One thoughtless troll just about ruined the WWI flight experience for me.

I would welcome Uncle Al back as the "official OFF curmudgeon."

Edited by BirdDogICT